Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Two potential problems...

Search this Thread

Old 8/21/06, 06:46 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Two potential problems...

Two potential problems with my 'Stang I wanted to ask the community about.... I plan on taking it to a dealer, but not for about 2-3 weeks. I'm leaving tomorrow to drive to Tennessee to get married! Then off to the honeymoon in Vegas. Anyway....

1: I noticed today, when traveling in 4th gear at about 35 MPH, I deceided to lay the hammer down and see what she REALLY has, if you know what I mean. I slammed on the accelerator, and the car searched through all the gears before settling on one. Time from petal slam to finally accelerating at a high rate was about 2 seconds.

2: When turning sharply (such as onto a side street or into a parking spot), I hear a noise, almost like a grinding noise. It doesn't happen every time, and I can't tell where it is comming from.

Suggestions and/or thoughts?
Old 8/21/06, 08:37 PM
Cobra Member

Congrats on the pending wedding!!

Item 1 unfortunately is perfectly normal behavior for the auto. LOTS of people have complained about the delay between putting the hammer down and the car actually responding, it can take 1 to 2 seconds which can seem like FOREVER depending on the situation. I remember I was on a slow roll and tried to pull from the shoulder into some traffic in my 05 auto, I thought for sure that big delay was going to get me rear-ended. That was my first experience with that rediculous delay. Anyway, if you get an aftermarket tune it will get rid of that; you hit the throttle and it will go right NOW.

I'm not sure about item 2, I have heard about some people having problems with the differential clutches and getting some noise from the rearend in sharp turns but it's hard to tell with yours since you don't know where the sound is.
Old 8/22/06, 04:27 AM
Bullitt Member

Thanks for the info Tres Wright. I'm glad the hesitation issue is at least known and can be fixed with a tune. I think CAI + tune just moved to #1 priority on my "to do" list.

As far as that Banshee like noise...well, I'll swing by a dealer in my home town, maybe they can figure something out.
Old 8/22/06, 09:23 AM
Cobra Member

Nick, congradulations on the wedding...

There was a TSB on the limited slip differential, which calls for the clutch pack to be replaced.
http://bradbarnett.net/mustangs/gala...xelchatter.pdf

I know you have an '07.... but possibly worth investigating. This said it was for 2002 to 2005... but I don't if this TSB came out before '06 and '07s.. and if it still occurs beyond '05. ... again.. something to look into.
Old 8/22/06, 05:30 PM
Cobra Member

As I'm sure you know a flash tune will take care of that downshift. I know I surprise a lot of takers when I let them hit their's first. The response is excellent.

Can't say I've heard the noise in a tight turn, maybe I never turn really turn that tight or the Shaker is too loud.
Old 8/22/06, 08:06 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jet TBS also helps some. I am getting a tune very soon though
My ford dealer is Steeda authorized so it will be covered under warranty. Also ultalites and every other suspension component covered!!
Old 8/24/06, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by clintoris
Nick, congradulations on the wedding...

There was a TSB on the limited slip differential, which calls for the clutch pack to be replaced.
http://bradbarnett.net/mustangs/gala...xelchatter.pdf

I know you have an '07.... but possibly worth investigating. This said it was for 2002 to 2005... but I don't if this TSB came out before '06 and '07s.. and if it still occurs beyond '05. ... again.. something to look into.
I was just speaking to another mustang owner yesterday at the dealership. She has an 06 and it was in for the differential noise problem so it must be a problem beyond 05 as well.
Old 11/12/06, 03:50 PM

Warbird. Did you solve your problem. I have a 2006 GT auto and I have the followinging problem: In forward or reverse, starting slowly from stop (usually under 1,000 rpm) I can feel and hear a grinding and vibration from the rear end. It happens most noticeably under load, like starting from stop, going up a hill, with the wheel turned. I can’t tell if is from the transmission, the rear axle assembly or the brakes. If the car had limited slip I would guess that it was the clutch pack.