Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Transmission Sounds

Search this Thread

Old 7/1/06, 08:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission Sounds

Ok..so i feel like an idiot for asking this question....but I've never owned a brand new car before...so I'm asking anyway.
My 06 GT has almost 4,000 miles on it. In first, 2nd, and in most of third, I can hear whineing gear sounds coming from the tranny.(manual trans.) It isnt very loud....you almsot dont notice it, except at really low speeds. The car has been doing this since the day i got it. The tranny is breaking in well, and shifts great.

My question is....is the whining sound normal? (to be honest, i kinda like it) does it go away as the tranny breaks in, or is it just a result of the transmission's design/build? Is my car doing something it shouldnt be doing?
I appreciate the help guys!
Old 7/2/06, 01:02 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's a good question.

And one without an answer I'm afraid.

I have the same thing... as do many others here. They issued a TSB for the '05 Mustang for this problem but some have had this "fix" performed and the problem got worse.

Wish I could give you a better answer
Old 7/5/06, 04:56 AM
Team Mustang Source

My 06 makes that same noise, it is not unpleasant, and does not sound like it is hurting anything. I also notice a whine downshifting into third or second, but that is just the syncronizers playing catch-up. I personally am not worried about the whine, unless it starts to get worse or the tranny starts to shift funny.
Old 7/6/06, 11:28 AM
Cobra Member

It has been my experience that manual transmission cars are more likely to make these types of noises than automatics, and the manual trans in the GT Mustang is apparently not known for being quiet. Even the automatic trans in the GT makes some whining noise in first gear under accelleration.
Old 7/6/06, 01:54 PM
V6 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine makes these noises as well. One other thing I have is a lot of back-lash in the drivetrain, power on / power off there's lots of slop. Do you guys have this as well?.

I took mine in to the dealer last friday, both for the whine and the back-lashand their evaluation was that 'It's normal for these cars to exhibit this noise'.

My 03 had a lot of back-lash and gear noise as well and the same thing was said by the dealer. I guess I'll have to live with it for now.

Stan
Old 7/7/06, 06:35 PM
V6 Member

Yep! Backlash here.
I had an 03 and an 01 and neither were nearly as "sloppy". I'm at about 1400 miles now and it's actually gotten a little better (or I'm getting used to it/driving the car better) so I'm not worried......
Old 7/7/06, 09:22 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Yeah... this car is like an instrument...
Don't play it right, it won't sound pretty....

just the right ammount of throttle and smoothness gets rid of the jerkyness/slop...
Especially in 1st and 2nd... herky jerky if your not careful
Old 7/7/06, 09:58 PM

so far, I havent noticed any backlash or slop in my tranny...it seems really tight, but its just now breaking in to the point were the shifter doesnt feel 'notchy'.....its getting pretty smooth. The only time mine jerks is if i shift too slowly into 2nd gear, but i've pretty much overcame that now...I think it was because i'm not used to an engine with this much torque and a manual trans.
the clutch doesnt seem like it has a lot of variabliliy in the pedal...all the clutch play seems to be within about the first 1/2 inch of pedal travel...but ive drove other, new cars that were similar to that, so i guess its just something to get used to.
Old 7/7/06, 10:14 PM
Cobra R Member

yeah those noises should be normal, you would think it was too quiet if you were going to it from lets say a havy duty top loader, or a muncie rock crusher.

the straighter the gears are cut, the more noise it makes.
Old 7/10/06, 09:37 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by RedneckPony
so far, I havent noticed any backlash or slop in my tranny...it seems really tight, but its just now breaking in to the point were the shifter doesnt feel 'notchy'.....its getting pretty smooth. The only time mine jerks is if i shift too slowly into 2nd gear, but i've pretty much overcame that now...I think it was because i'm not used to an engine with this much torque and a manual trans.
the clutch doesnt seem like it has a lot of variabliliy in the pedal...all the clutch play seems to be within about the first 1/2 inch of pedal travel...but ive drove other, new cars that were similar to that, so i guess its just something to get used to.
Does you clutch engage soon as you let the pedal out?? Mine on my '07 doesn't start engaging until it's 2/3's out.
Old 7/11/06, 11:20 AM
Bullitt Member

Backlash and whine are part of driving this car it seems. The backlash is caused in part by the drivetrain configuration (two piece driveshaft instead of one piece).
Old 7/11/06, 08:34 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Yeah I remember reading a post of someone who had replaced the 2 piece with a 1 and all that backlash was diminished/gone...

I get it in my S10 as well... it has a 2piece...
Thought there was something wrong with it, but it's just the nature of the design.
Old 7/24/06, 12:56 AM
Bullitt Member

I had the same whine when my car was new. When I hit 6000 miles, the whine increased to a point in 5th gear going 60mph, it was louder than the flowmasters and radio at mid volume. They are replacing the transmission now.
Old 7/27/06, 11:08 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by matko
I had the same whine when my car was new. When I hit 6000 miles, the whine increased to a point in 5th gear going 60mph, it was louder than the flowmasters and radio at mid volume. They are replacing the transmission now.
Got my car back today with new tranny. Whine is gone.
Old 7/27/06, 11:31 AM
Cobra Member

Hey Mike glad to hear.

What was the final fix?

Did they perform a TSB on it or was it something else?
Old 7/28/06, 01:22 AM
Bullitt Member

They elected not to spend the time troubleshooting or play here a part, there a part, but instead just installed a new transmission. So I'll never really know what the cause was.
Old 7/28/06, 11:22 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by matko
They elected not to spend the time troubleshooting or play here a part, there a part.
Wow, what a concept! Wish every dealer was like that...
Old 7/28/06, 02:19 PM
GT Member

I get the slop, but not the whine. I'm just starting to get used to it, and the better I get at driving it the better it seems to get. I had only learned to drive stick about a week and a half before I got the car, so I thought it was just me. Glad to know there's more to it than that and that I'm not wrecking my car.
Old 7/28/06, 02:46 PM
Cobra Member

Well my tranny is tight... shifts nice... no problems... BUT it does whine. Has since I bought it.

It also has the gravely noise as well. Although the gravely noise has gotten better and the whine has gotten worse.

I've taken it in to be told it was "normal."

I just hope it doesn't crap out on me when I'm trying to pull out into traffic.

Oh well... if it does and I croak I'm sure my wife will have a nice settlement from Ford after they refused to fix it.