Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Tranny TSB + cracked gear

Search this Thread

Old 5/26/06, 07:35 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tranny TSB + cracked gear

So I dropped my car off a little over a week and a half ago to finally get the work done on Tranny TSB. I had the grinding growling noise when it was cold. After a lot of drama in getting the right tools and parts I was supposed to get it back today. Well I just received a call from the Service manager and he said that while getting the reverse gear off to change it he found that 5th gear was cracked. My car also had the "whine" in 5th gear btw... So maybe this was the culprit of that noise.. .no clue (Manager feels confident that was the issue). I dont consider the way I drive any where near harsh. No clue on how or when this happened. But the whine has been around since nearly the day I bought the car. I wont get it back until Tuesday now.. That will mark 2 weeks total without my car. *sigh* At least the tech caught it.

Had this broken while driving ... well I trust I do not have to say what would have happened to my powertrain. I just cringe at the thought.
Old 5/27/06, 05:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Guess i freaked everyone out.
Old 5/27/06, 05:59 PM
Team Mustang Source

I guess so...

Let us know what you hear when you finally get the car back.
Old 5/30/06, 08:36 AM
Bullitt Member

Well i get my car back today.. assuming they dont screw something up or there arent any new noises that I hear when I test drive it. I'll let you guys know if the TSB + new 5th gear fixed my whine. It better have fixed my grinding/growling noise .
Old 5/31/06, 06:38 AM
Bullitt Member

Cracked 5th gear? Interesting. Your description of the noise as grinding and growling matches the symptoms of my car exactly. Good luck and let us know how it works out.
Old 5/31/06, 07:02 AM
Bullitt Member

The grinding and growling is related to the TSB fix 05-08-08.. i think that may have been superceded by another but it still calls for reverse gear and synchronizer. 5th gear being cracked could be related to the whining I was getting between 55-62mph in 5th gear on freeway. That one sounded like tire noise really. I was "supposed" to get it yesterday but they broke another snap ring (last one) on/or near output shaft so they had to reorder that yesterday. "Should" have it again today. Funny thing is ive heard should too many times. I really hope my tranny doesnt make the old noises along with any new ones. Im really beginning to lose my mind and my confidence. My luck I'll just manifest noises in my head

Ill reply back if I get my car back today.
Old 5/31/06, 12:22 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good luck man.

I've had the EXACT same issues with my car from day one.

Took it in with the '05 TSB and the guy refused to fix it because my car was an '06 and he said the transmission was different.

Of course we all know that's a load of BS and I knew it at the time as well. So I'm STILL looking to find a decent dealer / service department in my area.

Let us know if it works out.

I have the grinding / growling and the whine in first second and third and fifth gear as well.
Old 5/31/06, 03:19 PM
Bullitt Member

Sorry guys... The transmission once assembled would not go into 1st, 2nd, or 3rd gear. I made it very clear that they were not to disassemble and reassemble it again. I wanted a new one plain and simple. After some twisting I got one.. brand new. Supposedly only 4 in the country available. Should be here tomorrow probably Friday. So I can no longer tell you if these fixes would have fixed the issues i was having. I just hope and pray that the new transmission is in fact a 'good' one. Who knows with my luck lately. Ill report back on the new tranny and if it whines or grinds anymore. I just hope she is still the same after this.
Old 5/31/06, 07:22 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by gkaufman
Sorry guys... The transmission once assembled would not go into 1st, 2nd, or 3rd gear.
That's probably a blessing in disguise. Sounds like the tech(s) who attempted to rebuild it where in over their heads. Hope the new unit does the trick for you.
Old 6/1/06, 04:38 AM
V6 Member

Sorry guys... The transmission once assembled would not go into 1st, 2nd, or 3rd gear. I made it very clear that they were not to disassemble and reassemble it again. I wanted a new one plain and simple. After some twisting I got one.. brand new. Supposedly only 4 in the country available. Should be here tomorrow probably Friday. So I can no longer tell you if these fixes would have fixed the issues i was having. I just hope and pray that the new transmission is in fact a 'good' one. Who knows with my luck lately. Ill report back on the new tranny and if it whines or grinds anymore. I just hope she is still the same after this.
Hey neighbor, I'm in Front Royal. Sorry to hear about all your problems. A couple of questions, (1) Who did your service? (2) Are you satisfied? (3) Did you have to remove your MOD's before you took it in? & did they give you any grief about your MOD's. Are you going to Carlisle? Joe
Old 6/1/06, 06:02 AM
GT Member

Same this happened to me, sort of. They replaced my 5th gear assembly (bearings, etc.), and the noise was still there and seemed to be getting louder. I was a little scared to be driving around with a transmission that had been taken apart, so I had to fight for a while but finally convinced them to get me a new tranny. The noise was still there, exactly the same, but at least I have another brand tranny in my car. I've learned to deal with the noise, but there HAS to be a fix out there becuase I've driven another GT that didn't make the noise.
Old 6/1/06, 06:13 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Joediveguy
Hey neighbor, I'm in Front Royal. Sorry to hear about all your problems. A couple of questions, (1) Who did your service? (2) Are you satisfied? (3) Did you have to remove your MOD's before you took it in? & did they give you any grief about your MOD's. Are you going to Carlisle? Joe
Hello there. I live over in Stephens City.. I went to Winchester Ford. They worked on another TSB back a few months ago and they knocked it out without issue so I felt confident taking it in for this TSB. The tech kept breaking snaprings but aside from that, they were, I believe, moving as fast as they could. Which could explain the "transmission guy" skipping a few instructions when reassembling the tranny. The only saving grace is that they gave me a new tranny instead of another rebuild.... so my satisfaction level went up a bit with them. I left my K&N intake on and my exhaust. I returned the car back to stock tune just in case they wanted to reflash my ecu for an update. They have never mentioned the modifications. Really they have no reason to. Carlisle?
Old 6/2/06, 03:39 PM
Bullitt Member

Got my new tranny in today.. Finally got my car back . God its awesome how could I have ever dropped it off. Anyways... My transmission is quieter then when I bought it.. So it seems. The whine on the highway isnt the tranny anymore I think its the tires cause it doesnt change if i put clutch in like it used to. 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gears are all at least 35% quieter then before. I dont necessarily like it that quiet but whatever. They seem to have installed it correctly so it seems. Shifts smooth as silk. 2.5 weeks and all the waiting paid off. I gotta go on a road trip this weekend.
Old 6/12/06, 06:02 PM
V6 Member

Have any of you run into a situation where your car would not go into reverse? I have a 06 GT with a manual transmission. The other night I tried to put the car in reverse and it would not go into gear for a minute or so.
Old 6/13/06, 07:24 AM
Bullitt Member

did you try putting it in say 3rd first then reverse? V6 manual states that for safety reasons one must move shifter all the way to the left (between 1st and 2nd) and then move to reverse. I suspect that GT manual has a similar thing. I find that sometimes I need to shift to 3rd or 4th first then reverse.
Old 6/13/06, 03:09 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
The Reverse Lockout is to stop you from putting it in the gear by accident while moving forward...
So yeah, you must put it left of neutral..its in the manual as stated.

There could be a fault with the lockout even if you are doing that, and it's not allowing you in gear.
Old 6/13/06, 10:49 PM
V6 Member

Thanks for the reply. I bet this is what happened.
Old 10/30/06, 01:10 PM
Team Mustang Source

bumpity...gkaufman...how's the new tranny working out so far?? Did the noises come back?

Imatk and myself are still in the same boat. Debating if I should take mine in or not. I still have a loud 2nd and 3rd gear decel and an slight whine in fifth around 65MPH...
Old 10/30/06, 03:36 PM
Bullitt Member

The new transmission hasnt had any issues yet. I have put about 12000 miles on it since then so I believe its okay. I still have the whine but it has nothing to do with 5th gear. I think its the differential whining because it does it in 4th and 5th at roughly the same speed on decel. If your dealer techs are competent then the TSB should go fine but I would still push for just a brand new transmission.
Old 10/30/06, 11:14 PM
Cobra R Member

have you all had the rear clutch paks tsb replaced. That was definitely causing a whine in the rear end. It actually sounded like the power steering noise on old cars. but if you listen out the window you can actually here it from the rear. So maybe if you havent had that tsb done for the rear axle clutch paks, maybe that will fix you up. Good luck and congrats on the new tranny.

Quick Reply: Tranny TSB + cracked gear