Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

texas state emissions, CEL and custom exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 4/22/10, 10:30 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question texas state emissions, CEL and custom exhaust

hey guys, i did a search to see if this topic had already been addressed but didn't see anything that was an exact match. so if this is a retread i apologize in advance.

i have a 2005 mustang GT that i bought new back around in october of 04, when the car was launched. the first and only modification i've ever done on the car was to put on a bassani x-pipe on. it's a cat-back system. the exhaust does have cats, but they are the cats that came with the bassiani kit - so i guess they're hi-flow in lieu of the stock ones.

at the time i had the exhaust put on a friend of mine gave me his SCT xcal tuner (generation 1 - no cool screen or anything), and i had the guys at PSI motorsports (http://www.psimotorsportstx.com/) write a custom tune at the time that turned off the bank 2 o2 sensors since i was getting the CEL. of course i've had the state inspection every year, and every year i've passed, but recently ford got ahold of my car during a service and apparently updated the computer.

when i got the car back, the CEL came back on and of course the custom tune does not work any more. i called and talked with patrick because i hoped i could bring my old tuner back in and have a new tune done to take care of it. apparently a few issues have now arisen.

apparently the tuner is locked out now after ford did that update. in talking with patrick, i'd have to send it back to SCT to be unlocked, and i'd have to provide a receipt or something from ford showing they ran the updated. the caviat to that is that apparently SCT no longer supports the generation 1 tuner, so that option is completely off the table.

i did inquire about the possiblity of picking up teh new xcal 3 to see if that would help. he did say he could sell me the tuner - but wasn't pushing me to buy it - and it seemed like they could use the xcal 3 to turn off the o2 sensors. however, patrick indicated that the emissions test has been improved or updated and if the OBDII scan noticed that my sensors were disabled i would fail the emissions test as well.

i live outside the "city of houston" but i am in harris county. i'm not sure if that would have an impact, but you never know.

has anyone come across a problem like this on their car or have any ideas on a solution? i don't have my stock exhaust anymore and i'd hate to think i was completely screwed after owning my car for 5 years just because i have hi-flow cats.

thank you in advance for any help you can provide - i really apprecaite it.

.z
Old 4/22/10, 11:50 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
This might give you more info:
https://themustangsource.com/showthr...hlight=reflash
Old 4/22/10, 12:18 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by karman
thanks for pointing me to that. i read through all 4 pages of the thread but it didn't look like they discussed problems with the o2 sensor, CEL and state emissions. i did see one post where someone wisely pointed out that if you have the xcal 1 you're pretty much screwed. no screen means no strategy code i suppose.

my car though, is driveable. and it runs just fine. but the CEL is on and i won't get very far in an emissions test unless i'm able to figure something out for the sensons.

any ideers?
Old 4/22/10, 12:26 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Originally Posted by ZERO
thanks for pointing me to that. i read through all 4 pages of the thread but it didn't look like they discussed problems with the o2 sensor, CEL and state emissions. i did see one post where someone wisely pointed out that if you have the xcal 1 you're pretty much screwed. no screen means no strategy code i suppose.

my car though, is driveable. and it runs just fine. but the CEL is on and i won't get very far in an emissions test unless i'm able to figure something out for the sensons.

any ideers?
Try sending a PM to 05fordgt.

I think he discussed this once before with problems he had in Pennsylvania after installing LT headers.
Old 4/22/10, 01:54 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
Try sending a PM to 05fordgt.

I think he discussed this once before with problems he had in Pennsylvania after installing LT headers.
i'll give that a shot. i just sent him a PM and we'll see if he has any ideas.

thanks for the advice.
Old 4/26/11, 09:48 AM
Mach 1 Member

It's been a long time since I've been on the boards. But I had, and still have this same issue. If you do an advanced search for "emissions" in Title Only, I think you will find some information you are looking for. Inspection in due again in a couple of months so we'll see if I can squeeze through for another year. Maybe the last time, as I'm about ready to sell the ole Stang.
Old 4/26/11, 04:46 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Brenspeed told me I needed risers to pull the o2 sensor out of the exhaust stream to eliminate the CEL.