Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Suspension Clunk update

Search this Thread

Old 1/23/08 | 01:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Angry Suspension Clunk update

My nice 07 GT/CS has had that anoying suspension clunk since day one...you know the one that sounds like something is worn out when you hit bumps. Three times at the dealer and they wash their hands by saying Ford calls it normal. This is even after printing out the TSB for this problem. In other words, they don't want to do anything about it. Funny thing is that the rear end went out and they repaired it and it still making noises back there...so it is back at the dealer and they gave me an 08 V6 loaner. What chaps my hide is the fact that the 08 is quiet and solid without any clunks whatsover.

I wrote a complaint letter to Ford's customer service since I really don't know what else I could do. I also reported the problem with the BBB.

Any ideas?
Old 1/23/08 | 08:21 PM
Team Mustang Source

A lot of Mustangs since 05 have had some front strut failures ?
Old 1/24/08 | 06:08 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by GottaHaveIt
A lot of Mustangs since 05 have had some front strut failures ?
I've heard. I don't think this is a strut failure. It has something to do with resonance. I'm pretty sure nothing is loose or broken. I think the engineers dropped the ball somewhere on the strut housing ??? because the 08s don't have that problem.
Old 1/24/08 | 08:42 AM
GT Member

You have my sympathies...contact your Ford region zone manager, STICK TO YOUR GUNS !!
Old 1/24/08 | 09:35 AM
Mach 1 Member

Cool Ford will fix this!!

Just go to a better area Ford Dealership and get this front end clunk fixed!! Last fall we printed the TSB 07-18-02 and handed it to our Ford service shop manager. They test drove CalStang, ordered the replacement parts and then fixed it (warranty) no charge!! All done in a matter of three days and about three hours at the dealership!! CalStang now rides tight, like a brand new lux. sedan!! You will love this easy front end noise fix!!
Old 1/24/08 | 01:24 PM
Bullitt Member

My 08 does not have this problem.
Old 1/24/08 | 03:29 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Originally Posted by CarRamRod
My 08 does not have this problem.
I haven't heard it in mine either, but it only has 1000 miles. I'll be keeping my ears open for it just in case.
Old 1/25/08 | 06:05 AM
Mach 1 Member

Cool "Good To Go"

It has been our understanding, that this engineered fix for the front end clunking sound, has been incorporated into the 2008 Mustang line. So if that indeed is correct, than all of the gang with the new '08's should be good to go!
Old 1/28/08 | 08:08 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by CalStang'07
It has been our understanding, that this engineered fix for the front end clunking sound, has been incorporated into the 2008 Mustang line. So if that indeed is correct, than all of the gang with the new '08's should be good to go!
Yup, it appears that Ford incorporated a fix on the 08s. Now they need to fix my 07...I can't believe how much loyalty I've lost for Ford products.

My car still vibrates all over. The dealer told me that my tires are causing the vibrations. Funny thing is that it only started vibrating after they worked on the rear end. They did put my tires on an 08 GT and the vibes were there...not as much, but it was noticeable. When I asked them to replace the tires under warranty...they blew me off. So now I drive a clunky vibrating humming Mustang. I tell you, with all the experiences I've had so far...once this goes out of warranty, I'm trading it in for something with better customer service and quality...really bites because I love the looks of the S197s.
Old 1/28/08 | 09:14 AM
GT Member

Mine has 12 miles on it. I haven't heard a thing........
Old 2/2/08 | 09:03 AM
GT Member

I have not heard any clunking on 2008 GT/CS w/ 700 miles. I went for a ride over the Chesapeake Bay bridge last weekend, and believe me the concrete surface on the bridge is like driving in an off road rally. Keep my fingers crossed, so far so good !
Old 2/3/08 | 08:04 AM

Mine feels like the passenger side front.Been there since day one, March 28th, 2007.
Where can I get a link to the TSB ?
Thanks,
Ron
Old 2/3/08 | 08:09 AM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

good luck with ford corp..they couldn't care less..been there done that on my 2000gt
Old 2/3/08 | 10:16 AM
Mach 1 Member

Cool Ford Cares!

Have to disagree with that statement! Read my thread #5 on this subject. Ford does care about getting it right, or they would not publish the great TSB's for their shop fixes. A lot depends on what kind Ford dealership you are dealing with on this! My dealership (Woodhouse), has been nothing short of amazing, on looking at and fixing anything that was not as Ford had originally intended. If you are not happy with your current results, than just become the squeeky wheel. Or by all means, find a good quality Ford dealership that can help you out with your problem! Good luck. "RC"
Old 2/3/08 | 11:15 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by CalStang'07
Have to disagree with that statement! Read my thread #5 on this subject. Ford does care about getting it right, or they would not publish the great TSB's for their shop fixes. A lot depends on what kind Ford dealership you are dealing with on this! My dealership (Woodhouse), has been nothing short of amazing, on looking at and fixing anything that was not as Ford had originally intended. If you are not happy with your current results, than just become the squeeky wheel. Or by all means, find a good quality Ford dealership that can help you out with your problem! Good luck. "RC"
+1 This sounds more like a bad dealership than Ford. Do not take your Mustang back to that dealership again!! Find a good dealership and take it there. Your car will get fixed. I would have them look at the rear end and the strut problem. I just did the same with my DD Jeep. I took it to one dealership and they created more problems and didn't fix a thing. I tried another dealership and everything is good now. Also, bring the TSB in. That helps.
Old 2/5/08 | 09:27 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Tispco
+1 This sounds more like a bad dealership than Ford. Do not take your Mustang back to that dealership again!! Find a good dealership and take it there. Your car will get fixed. I would have them look at the rear end and the strut problem. I just did the same with my DD Jeep. I took it to one dealership and they created more problems and didn't fix a thing. I tried another dealership and everything is good now. Also, bring the TSB in. That helps.
I printed the TSB twice and the techies say it is normal.
I have tried 3 different dealers and all the same. My car now vibrates/humms at 70 mph, clunks in the front, and the engine ticks...
Got a hold of the BBB and they sent a package and have called several times to ask if I wanted a replacement or if I wanted it fixed. I told them I just wanted the car to run like a $32k car with 8k miles on it. I also sent a letter to the CEO of the dealership I bought it from. The BBB said that the dealer is willing to do anything to fix the car...

Here is a recap from answers I've received from the dealerships here in Florida:

-Hood scoop lifting in the rear end corners: it was designed that way so that it wouldn't scratch the paint

-Paint discoloration on the bottom plastic parts (bumper covers, etc.) it won't match the rest because they are plastic and the plastic is black

-Engine ticking: it is normal because the injectors are noisy

-Front end clunk: it is normal because all 07s have that. Also, Ford will not consider it a problem if you have the radio on at a normal level and can't hear it

-Rear end humm they changed the diffs bearings, but now it vibrates and humms even louder: It is caused by the tires because they may have flat spots from the vehicles sitting in the lot a long time prior to selling.

My wife laughs at me every day because she recommended I buy Japanese. This car only has 8k miles...what's going to happen when the warranty expires?
Old 2/5/08 | 11:09 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 07gtcs
I printed the TSB twice and the techies say it is normal.
I have tried 3 different dealers and all the same. My car now vibrates/humms at 70 mph, clunks in the front, and the engine ticks...
Got a hold of the BBB and they sent a package and have called several times to ask if I wanted a replacement or if I wanted it fixed. I told them I just wanted the car to run like a $32k car with 8k miles on it. I also sent a letter to the CEO of the dealership I bought it from. The BBB said that the dealer is willing to do anything to fix the car...

Here is a recap from answers I've received from the dealerships here in Florida:

-Hood scoop lifting in the rear end corners: it was designed that way so that it wouldn't scratch the paint

-Paint discoloration on the bottom plastic parts (bumper covers, etc.) it won't match the rest because they are plastic and the plastic is black

-Engine ticking: it is normal because the injectors are noisy

-Front end clunk: it is normal because all 07s have that. Also, Ford will not consider it a problem if you have the radio on at a normal level and can't hear it

-Rear end humm they changed the diffs bearings, but now it vibrates and humms even louder: It is caused by the tires because they may have flat spots from the vehicles sitting in the lot a long time prior to selling.

My wife laughs at me every day because she recommended I buy Japanese. This car only has 8k miles...what's going to happen when the warranty expires?

When they asked you if you wanted a replacement or fix, why didn't you just get a replacement?
Old 2/6/08 | 08:36 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by buffguy
When they asked you if you wanted a replacement or fix, why didn't you just get a replacement?
I will give them one more shot, if they cannot fix the problems then I'll go for a replacement.
Old 2/7/08 | 02:53 AM
Bullitt Member

You need to get the new revised front strut mounts! Search.
Old 2/13/08 | 06:07 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by mvon919
You need to get the new revised front strut mounts! Search.
Got a call from Ford corporate, will drop it off next week...

Can't wait to see what they say this time.

Quick Reply: Suspension Clunk update