Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Strut Mount Issue

Search this Thread

Old 10/17/09, 10:37 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strut Mount Issue

Well, it sounds like I have the strut mount problem that's been around for a while. The rattle, thunk, creaking, etc. that I've been reading about.

I have an appointment with the dealership Tuesday - just under a month before the 3-year warranty runs out.

I'm worried the dealer might try to weasel out of this because the previous owner installed (not dealer installed) Ford Racing anti-sway bars, but kept the struts and shocks stock. I hope I don't have to go the Magnuson-Moss Act route.

Another issue is, do I go with the updated OEM strut mounts, possibly new OEM struts or just say screw it and pay for a better brand of everything? I've read where people have got the warranty work done and still had noises.

She's a daily driver so I don't need anything too fancy.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
Old 10/18/09, 07:15 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool A Must Do Fix!

By all means get this (TSB 07-18-2) strut mount problem fixed under warranty by your Ford dealership! We had this upper strut mount update done right after we purchased our GT/CS. And it fixed all of the thumping and popping sounds in the front end at zero cost! Went from a noisy lumber wagon to now smooth like butta!! CalStang
Old 10/18/09, 08:56 AM
Bullitt Member

I recently had a similar issue and I thought it was the strut mounts. It turned out to be the end links for the front sway bar. The links can be difficult to tighten, so that may be your problem since your sway bars have been replaced.
Old 10/20/09, 08:18 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Tispco
I recently had a similar issue and I thought it was the strut mounts. It turned out to be the end links for the front sway bar. The links can be difficult to tighten, so that may be your problem since your sway bars have been replaced.
You called this one Tispco. The dealer was real cool about everything - no charge. They tightened up the front sway bar nuts. The noise is gone now. They believe the bushings might be bad on the rear bar, but I can't hear anything. I'll take care of that soon anyway. Of course they're not under warranty being aftermarket bars.

I bought this car just over 2 months ago with 755 miles, now just over 3,400. I'm guessing with the car sitting in the previous owner's garage so long, maybe the rubber dried out or something.

I was sure the strut mounts were the culprit...hopefully they never are.
Old 11/8/09, 08:12 PM
V6 Member

I quick update...

I started hearing the creaking sounds from the rear of the car. Ordered some replacement bushings, got them on, and now everything is quiet once again.
Old 3/29/10, 03:39 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by CalStang'07
By all means get this (TSB 07-18-2) strut mount problem fixed under warranty by your Ford dealership! We had this upper strut mount update done right after we purchased our GT/CS. And it fixed all of the thumping and popping sounds in the front end at zero cost! Went from a noisy lumber wagon to now smooth like butta!! CalStang

Where can I find more info on TSB 07-18-2..I tryied doing a search but came up with no results...
Old 3/29/10, 04:15 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by CooBra07
Where can I find more info on TSB 07-18-2..I tryied doing a search but came up with no results...
Here you go...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
07-18-02.pdf (47.0 KB, 315 views)