Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Strange rattle

Search this Thread

Old 7/5/05, 09:29 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a strange rattle coming from somewhere in the rear around backseat in the drivers compartment, its driving me nuts, cant figure out what the heck is causing it, anyone else have this ?
Old 7/5/05, 09:36 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by mmoonshot@July 5, 2005, 10:32 AM
I have a strange rattle coming from somewhere in the rear around backseat in the drivers compartment, its driving me nuts, cant figure out what the heck is causing it, anyone else have this ?
HOLY HE||, I have the exact same rattle!! Driving me crazy. :bang: Almost sounds like its coming from where the seatbelt goes into the door, or the back windowshield, like the defrosters or something. Totally driving me nuts.

Help, anyone...???? :scratch:
Old 7/5/05, 09:36 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A buddy of mine with his V6 had a rattle coming from the passenger rear. It ended up being a loose bolt holding the speaker. He went in the trunk and tightened it down.

Might be one place for you to check.
Old 7/5/05, 09:38 AM
V6 Member

Originally posted by mmoonshot@July 5, 2005, 8:32 AM
I've been having a similar rattle for the rear passenger side in mine. I thought it was a problem with the Magnaflow exhaust for a while but after thorougly going over the exhaust there is no way that is the cause. I finally laid down in the trunk and had my wife drive me around for a while so that I could identify where it is coming from and found that it is the trunk lid. I haven't had time to figure out exactly what in the trunk lid assembly is causing it but when I was back there if I pushed up on the trunk lid the rattle would stop, when I let go it would start again. You might want to try this and see if it is the same problem.

Doug
Old 7/5/05, 09:42 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the same thing. Rear seat area drivers side. 3 times it has been to FORD, 3 times they said "I think we found it this time" and it goes back again tomorrow for a 4th attempt. Soon I'll tear it apart myself.
Old 7/5/05, 09:58 AM
Bullitt Member

Me too, passenger side. Have not taken it in yet. Checked all in trunk and exhaust.
Old 7/5/05, 10:07 AM
Mach 1 Member

Sometimes it is hard to pin-point exactly where a noise is coming from. Make sure that belt holder at the bottom of the front passenger seat is latched. I had a similar problem and this was the source.
Old 7/5/05, 10:36 AM
Mach 1 Member

Wow I cant beleive so many people are having the same issue, it sounds like its coming from the drivers side in the rear, but I cant pinpoint it, I have checked the speakers and they are tight, so is everything else that I can check without tearing things apart, whatever it is it is driving me crazy... :bang:
Old 7/5/05, 10:43 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by 9thPony@July 5, 2005, 9:41 AM
I've been having a similar rattle for the rear passenger side in mine. I thought it was a problem with the Magnaflow exhaust for a while but after thorougly going over the exhaust there is no way that is the cause. I finally laid down in the trunk and had my wife drive me around for a while so that I could identify where it is coming from and found that it is the trunk lid. I haven't had time to figure out exactly what in the trunk lid assembly is causing it but when I was back there if I pushed up on the trunk lid the rattle would stop, when I let go it would start again. You might want to try this and see if it is the same problem.

Doug

Before you attempt this, make sure your wife will actually let you OUT of the trunk!!

Old 7/5/05, 11:02 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by 97svtgoin05gt@July 5, 2005, 10:46 AM
Before you attempt this, make sure your wife will actually let you OUT of the trunk!!

LOL !!
Old 7/5/05, 12:46 PM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by 97svtgoin05gt@July 5, 2005, 10:46 AM

Is this why Ford installed those glow in the dark handle's in the trunk?? :scratch:
Old 7/5/05, 12:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

I have one in my center stack, that when it's hot outside it rattles ... it is driving me NUTS !!!!

FRITZ, Silver "05" GT Coupe IUP and the works ...
Old 7/5/05, 01:25 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by 97svtgoin05gt@July 5, 2005, 9:46 AM

LOL - never thought about that! Then again, I wasn't fully in the trunk - I just put the back seats down and layed with my feet sticking out into the rear passenger area. BTW - the Magnaflow's sounded much louder back there

Doug
Old 7/5/05, 02:22 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by 9thPony@July 5, 2005, 3:28 PM
LOL - never thought about that! Then again, I wasn't fully in the trunk - I just put the back seats down and layed with my feet sticking out into the rear passenger area. BTW - the Magnaflow's sounded much louder back there

Doug
I was thinking how nice it is that your wife would drive these other guys around in their trunks to find their rattles! She's aces!!
Old 7/5/05, 02:30 PM

Might want to check the area behind the access panel where your front passengers right foot would be. I stuffed some insulation in through this access panel and my rattle went away.
Old 7/5/05, 02:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by 97PSD@July 5, 2005, 2:33 PM
Might want to check the area behind the access panel where your front passengers right foot would be. I stuffed some insulation in through this access panel and my rattle went away.
Hmm, thanks I will check that out..
Old 7/5/05, 03:24 PM
GT Member

I have the same rattle coming from the rear and a rattle in the passenger door as well. The one in the passenger door gets worse with speed, I'm guessing that it is the power lock cable or something. The door rattle is worse than the rear rattle, but they are both driving me nuts.
Old 7/7/05, 05:43 PM
Bullitt Member

i have the rattle and can't identify it either coming from the drivers side. I also had the rattle on the passengers side but have since found that problem out. If you take apart the plastic molding around the door jam, down around the fuse box is a mix of wires that seem to just be thrown in the car. Take a twisty tie and tie those loose wires together, or use electrical tape. For me, that solved the problem...now for drivers side...
Old 7/7/05, 09:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

check your factory tack welds.....
Old 7/7/05, 10:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

I had a rattle too. Found that it was the hanger from one of my magnaflows hitting the hanger on the frame. I found that the mufflers move about 1/4 inch back and forth and it was moving enough for it to hit.

Quick Reply: Strange rattle