Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Sound when turning

Search this Thread

Old 3/9/06, 07:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mustangspeeder @ November 7, 2005, 11:14 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
For the past few weeks I've been having some kind of whining sound when turning the wheel about 180 degrees and further. It is especially noticable when driving through parking lots. I took it to the dealership this weekend and after having the car for 7 hours they couldn't find anything and said that they didn't even notice the sound.

Has anyone else experienced this and if so what was the issue?
[/b][/quote]

I had this problem crop-up after I had the OEM 3.31 ring and pinion swapped out for a 3.73 ring and pinion.

The fix was very easy. The folks that installed my gears just added another bottle of friction modifier for the limited slip and that did the trick.

That might be worth trying before having them rip out the entire limited slip package.

Hope this helps.

Mike
Old 5/4/06, 04:58 AM
Queen Of Nascar

Mine has been in the shop this week for this problem also. I hope to get it back today without the whine when I make sharp turns. The problem does also apply to 2006 models.

Side note: My dealer had no problems with my mods. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banana.gif[/img]
Old 5/12/06, 01:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

Do they have to pull the drive shaft to do this TSB?
Old 5/12/06, 02:05 PM
Queen Of Nascar

I'm not sure. The dealership had my car for almost a week and the noise is gone now.
Old 5/12/06, 08:31 PM
V6 Member

Another 06 GT

My 06 GT also started producing the rubbing sound a few weeks ago. It only occurs at low speed when making sharp turns (e.g. turning into parking space). It was VERY noticeable. After searching the forums and finding this thread, I printed the TSB and went to the dealership. They confirmed the problem and ordered the necessary parts. My GT should be fixed this time next week. Thanks!
Old 5/13/06, 07:24 AM
Mach 1 Member

yeah.....will this TSB cover the 06?
Old 5/13/06, 10:51 AM
V6 Member

I purchased my 2006 in January and the delaer indicated the problem is the same as described by the TSB and ordered the recommended replacement parts, all under warranty of course.
Old 9/21/06, 12:44 PM

Anyone have any recent updates or experiences on a rubbing sound at low speeds (parking lots, driveways, etc.) when the steering wheel is turned far to the left or right?

I originally thought the sound was from the 18 inch tires rubbing in the wheel well but after reading this thread I'm wondering if the TSB mentioned above is the answer.
Old 9/23/06, 07:05 PM
V6 Member

Mine makes a whine type noise from the rearend when I'm turning hard into a parking spot.

I just had it at the dealer to investigate. Unfortunately, after the car sat for 2 hours while they fixed the driver's seat, the rearend noise no longer happened. I even drove the mechaninc around the back lot and it just wasn't there.

What I've noticed since is that the noise(whine) only happens after I've had it on the interstate at higher speeds. When I first drive it, the rearend is as quiet as can be.

I'll call the dealer back on Monday and see what happens.
Old 9/24/06, 10:48 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Fun4Me
Mine makes a whine type noise from the rearend when I'm turning hard into a parking spot.

I just had it at the dealer to investigate. Unfortunately, after the car sat for 2 hours while they fixed the driver's seat, the rearend noise no longer happened. I even drove the mechaninc around the back lot and it just wasn't there.

What I've noticed since is that the noise(whine) only happens after I've had it on the interstate at higher speeds. When I first drive it, the rearend is as quiet as can be.

I'll call the dealer back on Monday and see what happens.

Exact same thing happened to me in my 07. Next time I'm near the dealer and it makes the noise, I'm going to kidnap a tech so they can hear it.

Old 9/24/06, 05:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i know this is probably a dumb question but can anyone clarify for me what a TSB is or like what it stands for and how i can approach my dealer with it?
Old 9/25/06, 02:02 AM
V6 Member

Tsb

TSB
Technical Service Bulletin

Many times, they will describe a problem and provide repair information/steps for the mechanic. They are not recalls; and if you don't have a warranty, they aren't free.
Old 9/25/06, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by cauzitsfun
Anyone have any recent updates or experiences on a rubbing sound at low speeds (parking lots, driveways, etc.) when the steering wheel is turned far to the left or right?

I originally thought the sound was from the 18 inch tires rubbing in the wheel well but after reading this thread I'm wondering if the TSB mentioned above is the answer.
The rubbing/groaning sound is fixed. TSB 06-12-11 took care of the problem. I also had the dealer take care of TSB 06-9-9 (hesitation when accelerating on long drive) at the same time while I had the car in for a 5k oli change and tire rotation.

They wouldn't perform the repairs without verifying so they put about 40 miles on the car, verified the sound problem but could not replicate the hesitation problem. However, they went ahead and fixed the hesitation problem based on the fact that they were able to verify the other TSB.

The dealer got everything done in one day and was appreciative for bringing in copies if the TSBs to narrow down the problems with the most likely solutions.

Thanks to TMS and its members for being a great resource.

http://bradbarnett.net/mustangs/gala...moan-groan.pdf

http://bradbarnett.net/mustangs/gala...hesonaccel.pdf
Old 9/30/06, 10:00 PM
Cobra R Member

I thought mine was the power steering. It is just the way the sound travels that makes it sound like the power steering. There is a TSB for rear axle whine. They ordered a clutch pak kit, replaced and all is great. Sounds exactly like a p.s. moan. Look up the TSB number in the sticky and give it too them. Sounds great now.
P.S. It takes a little bit of the rear end warming up. Usually wouldnt here it until I got to work. I guess it heats up and expands, then starts making the noise at slow speeds around turns etc. I think the rumor was that the clutch paks were too tight.
Old 10/1/06, 08:31 AM

I took mine in for the TSB for the clutch pack whine,and when I got it back the whine was gone but it had a clunk in it when backing off the gas. When I took it back they had it for a week, and then they gave it back to me and told me they were going to put a whle new rear end in it. When I got it back the sway bar was on backwards. The service writers were great through the whole thing keeping me informed and making sure I had a car to drive but the guy who worked on must of been a idiot.
Old 10/1/06, 06:06 PM
GT Member

I may take this TSB in with mine, noticed the whine the other day in the work parking lot with the windows down. Seems to only happen when the car has been running a bit, as I hear it now every time I pull into work, but never when I am leaving.
Old 10/14/06, 05:51 PM
Bullitt Member

I have the same problem (2,300 miles on the ODO)...I, too, notice it only after a 20 minute highway drive and then pulling into the parking lot. There is now a even more recent TSB for it... (see attached)...I am not exactly ready to take her in. After hearing some of the horror stories above and in other forums taking it in can sometimes result in a worse problem. I definitely hear the noise, but I have to put the windows down to hear it. I'm sure it will probably get worse as time goes on.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
TSB 06-19-02 Axle Groan.pdf (47.0 KB, 373 views)
Old 10/15/06, 06:06 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Does the factory use a synth 75W-140 gear oil?
Old 10/15/06, 01:31 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Both of my 06 GT's have been fixed for this TSB...my dealer completed each car in 4 hours and the noise has been gone ever since. It was the differential clutch packs, and they are supposed to put their best mechanic on this job. I was very satisfied with the results.
Old 10/15/06, 05:59 PM
Bullitt Member

I sure am glad I found this post. I have this problem and was told by a Ford mechanic (a relative to boot) that it was normal. Wait until I see him again.

I will take the latest TSB with me to the dealer to get mine fixed. Thanks for the post and the TSB.

Bob

Quick Reply: Sound when turning