Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Sound of my engine

Search this Thread

Old 8/23/07, 06:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sound of my engine

OK, as some of you already know I just purchased an '06 GT with 8000 miles on it. When I opened the hood I was kind of taken aback at how loud the engine is and what it sounds like. It sounds kind of like a diesel engine, only not as loud as a diesel. Of course since I did that, now I hear it when I'm inside the car too. Is this normal for this engine?
Old 8/23/07, 07:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
You mean that it sounds like a knocking sound that you hear from diesels?? What kind of sound?
Old 8/23/07, 08:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Scarpi
You mean that it sounds like a knocking sound that you hear from diesels?? What kind of sound?
Exactly, a rythmic knocking.
Old 8/23/07, 08:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

PM me and I'll send you an oil analysis sample kit. Second, this engine does sound a bit clattery due to the three valves. Some have been fixed under a TSB for a valve condition on the driver's side head. After driving other cars I tend to think something is wrong with my GT, but I run it to redline and nothing comes through the block, so A O.K. I do have a 7yr warranty, but I'll be glad to let you know if your oil has any signs of coolant, fuel, or metal frag.

Later,

Shaun
Old 8/24/07, 07:05 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by shaun_beauchamp
PM me and I'll send you an oil analysis sample kit. Second, this engine does sound a bit clattery due to the three valves. Some have been fixed under a TSB for a valve condition on the driver's side head. After driving other cars I tend to think something is wrong with my GT, but I run it to redline and nothing comes through the block, so A O.K. I do have a 7yr warranty, but I'll be glad to let you know if your oil has any signs of coolant, fuel, or metal frag.

Later,

Shaun
Maybe it is just the valves I hear and I'm not used to hearing that.

PM sent, thanks Shaun!
Old 8/24/07, 08:40 AM
Mach 1 Member

Is the factory warranty still in effect? It should be with an 06 and only 8000 miles on it. Why don't you have a Ford dealer look at it? At least get their opinion before you start any type of work that might void what is left of the warranty. Just my opinion. Hope you get it straightened out.
Old 8/24/07, 08:57 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Scarpi
Is the factory warranty still in effect? It should be with an 06 and only 8000 miles on it. Why don't you have a Ford dealer look at it? At least get their opinion before you start any type of work that might void what is left of the warranty. Just my opinion. Hope you get it straightened out.
Thanks Scarpi, you're right, it is under warranty and ultimately Ford is going to have to be the one to do any work. It would however be nice to know if something really is wrong so when they tell me it's "normal" I can tell them no it's not. I guess I don't really trust Ford's opinion, hence, I'm asking you guys first
Old 8/24/07, 05:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Yeah you're right there. My dealer can't even do an oil change right. All I can say is that my 05 GT does not make any knocking noises. If they say it is normal, maybe take it to another dealer. Also here is a good idea, if they tell you it is normal, have them start another car with the same engine (V6/V8) and see if it makes the same noises! And if they won't do that for you ask to speak to the manager. Good luck!
Old 8/25/07, 06:30 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Could just be the injectors too I took a telescoping magnet thing and held one end to my ear (like an ear plug), and the other to various positions around the injectors, cam covers, etc. The only areas that were "ticking", were the injectors themselves. Every other area I touched had a nice, smooth "whirr" sound
Old 8/25/07, 12:30 PM
GT Member

it's not the number of valves in the head, it's the chains used to drive the overhead cams. they are considerably noisier than belt driven cams. thats why some of japanese auto makers and audi use belts...the engines are much quietier using the belts rather than the chains. one possible remedy if the noise is that unpleasant to you would be the engine cover that is part of one of the option packages. i suspect you wouoldn't hear much reduction in thenoise level, since the cover is more for cosmetics than anything else.

jackg
06 sts6, wish i had bought a gt instead...
Old 8/31/07, 08:32 AM
Bullitt Member

and at about 75,000 miles you get to pay a lot to change out the belts on a ricer. I put 273,000 on my explorer and had no problems with the timing chain.
Old 9/1/07, 06:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

Well I spent some time this morning listening to whatever Utube videos I could find demonstrating a stock engine running from the vantage point of the engine compartment. Turns out there is someone who has made several videos demonstrating various stock stuff to be used as baselines to compare to after doing mods and one of them was a 2006 GT engine. Yup, mine sounds just like it. They even made a comment on the video "notice the sewing machine like sound", which was exactly what I questioned.

I did discover however a chattering like sound after the engine is warm. Have no clue what it is, all I know is it IS from the motor and it's coming from somewhere on the top towards the back close to the cabin. At least it's not an evasive thing and will be pretty easy to point out to the dealer.

Man I wish I knew a really good mechanic around here. I swear I would just can the warranty and PAY just to not have to go through the dealer nightmare.
Old 9/1/07, 06:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by shaun_beauchamp

Later,

Shaun
Hey Shaun! I did receive the kit last week (on MONDAY and I'm just now posting this!). I'll get it out next week.

Thanks
Old 9/15/07, 03:16 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MustangLynda

I did discover however a chattering like sound after the engine is warm. Have no clue what it is, all I know is it IS from the motor and it's coming from somewhere on the top towards the back close to the cabin. At least it's not an evasive thing and will be pretty easy to point out to the dealer.
Hey, MustangLynda - as I have started experiencing a similar sound recently with the drop in temperature around here, I searched this forum and found a number of threads that might point to the cause of this.

Take a look at this and this.

At my next oil change, hopefully this sounds will be present, as it has been intermittent so far, so I can get it addressed.

Good luck!
Old 9/15/07, 07:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Tony Alonso
Hey, MustangLynda - as I have started experiencing a similar sound recently with the drop in temperature around here, I searched this forum and found a number of threads that might point to the cause of this.

Take a look at this and this.

At my next oil change, hopefully this sounds will be present, as it has been intermittent so far, so I can get it addressed.

Good luck!
Hey Tony! Are we having GREAT weather around here or what?!!

Sorry to hear you're hearing the same Thanks for the links - I had read some of them but couldn't decide if they applied to me. I hear this after my car is warmed up and I hear it definitely from the engine with the hood open. Sounds like when you put a card in your bicycle spokes (is that a valve tick, or does that sound different?) I also hear a sound behind the center stack after the car is warmed up - not sure if it's the same thing or something different. All I know is neither are there when I start the car and then they are after about 5 miles or so of driving.

I need to stop procrastinating and get it to the dealer though. Oil change coming up, so it'll be soon, I'm going to try Kings this time....
Old 9/15/07, 08:27 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Hey Tony! Are we having GREAT weather around here or what?!!
YES!

Sorry to hear you're hearing the same Thanks for the links - I had read some of them but couldn't decide if they applied to me. I hear this after my car is warmed up and I hear it definitely from the engine with the hood open. Sounds like when you put a card in your bicycle spokes (is that a valve tick, or does that sound different?) I also hear a sound behind the center stack after the car is warmed up - not sure if it's the same thing or something different. All I know is neither are there when I start the car and then they are after about 5 miles or so of driving.
We ought to meet up and compare noises

I need to stop procrastinating and get it to the dealer though. Oil change coming up, so it'll be soon, I'm going to try Kings this time....
I will be doing the same, probably this coming week.
Old 9/18/07, 02:16 AM
Mach 1 Member

These engines do make a little bit of noise under the hood. I changed to Mobil 1 and it quieted down right nicely. I thought it was due to the Variable valve timing and the chains up front anyway the Mobil 1 did the trick for mine. I have 38k miles on mine. I used Motorcraft syn blend 5-20 for the first year then switched over.
Old 9/18/07, 08:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

We ought to meet up and compare noises
Yeah that's occurred to me....

I will be doing the same, probably this coming week.
Well here I am, yet another week passing by, and the car is not going to make it to the dealer again. I swear, I need a personal assistant.

BTW, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!
Old 9/25/07, 09:34 PM

Well guys, my problem is similar but yet diff. Mine @ 8k miles almost sounds like the rear is getting ready to fall out under acceleration and @ 2500 rpm. Once I get past 2800 the noise dissipates. Any ideas? Hate to have to put the stock exhaust sys back on to avoid warranty issues. BTW I have flow 40 single chambers and OR/h pipe installed.
Old 9/25/07, 09:45 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I had a ticking sound, wasn't consitant, and it happened at nearly all red lights. Lasted 15-30 seconds and would leave. The sound later became evident in 1/2/3rd gears like metal fluttering.

Long story short. Dealer replaced, after much hassle, driver side cam followers.

Quick Reply: Sound of my engine