Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

SJB and Gauge Cluster Kaput

Search this Thread

Old 5/5/13, 12:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SJB and Gauge Cluster Kaput

So, I've been lurking on this forum for several years but never felt the need to post until today. Anyway, here's my story:

Last Wed. (May 1) I drove my 06 Mustang to work, no problem. Walked to lunch, put a few things in the car, no problem. At the end of the day, walked to the parking lot with my supervisor, who has an 09 GTCS, since she wanted compare. Tried to unlock my car with the key fob and nothing. I figured maybe the fob battery was just dead since I've yet to have to replace it. Opened the door manually, started her up and realized I had a complete electrical meltdown.

No door locks, no windows, no interior lights, no exterior lights, no key chime, no radio, no climate control, no gauges, etc.

I pulled every fuse and they were all fine. Disconnected the battery in hopes of resetting the computer, no change. Ended up having to leave it overnight and caught a ride home. Took her to to Ford the next morning and later that day was advised the SJB was definitely fried (as I suspected from reading these forums) but the tech couldn't figure out why the gauges weren't working since the two are separate systems. He said the gauge cluster is receiving power but he can't get it to work. However, he didn't want to replace the cluster yet as just replacing the SJB might fix the problem. So, I reluctantly OK'd replacing the SJB ($855 ) and am still waiting to hear the verdict on the gauges.

FWIW, I had Ford's silly white foam sheet "fix" already in place and it hadn't rained here for at least 3-4 days nor was the carpet/padding in that area the least bit damp. I'm stumped as every other SJB failure I've read about was caused by water damage shortly after a storm. Maybe it's time to start saving my pennies for one of those '13's I've been eyeballing....
Old 5/8/13, 07:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got the mustang back yesterday. Thankfully, it was just the SJB and not the gauge cluster too. There was no apparent water damage and all the seems and seals were ok according to the tech. Chock this one up to old age I guess.
Old 5/8/13, 09:06 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
glad they got it fixed up- did you get to keep the old one? I'd love to see what fails in these...
Old 5/11/13, 06:12 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My gauges quit working but I am not having any other electrical problems. Only the gauges don't work, the message center still works. Haven't had time to take it to the dealer.
Old 5/13/13, 05:41 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
It's probably your stepper motors , mine and lot of other 05 owners have had it happen. When mine went bad I replaced mu cluster with a GT500 cluster
Old 5/20/13, 05:12 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I replaced the stepper motors and they worked for awhile and then one day they all quit working. The digital info (mileage, etc) still works.