Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

S-197 Fuel tank Fill HELP HELP IS this only me!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10/25/07, 08:43 PM
TDS
Super Moderator
TMS Staff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Every Mustang built has had this problem at one time or another.
You can "search" this forum and find numerous postings about it.

Some cars had "updated" tanks installed under recall/warranty and it still happens. It is caused by the small diameter tubing from the gas cap to the tank, and the elaborate venting system for emmissions.

Ford put out several bullentins, one that suggested it was the gas pump nozzles and pump flow that caused it.

Still standing on one leg and twisting the pump nozzle to this day.

I have not heard about a car being "bought" back because of this?
How many Lawywers are involved?

TDS
Old 10/25/07, 08:47 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It's still a CRAP problem no matter how you look at it. The fact that in 3 years Ford hasn't fixed this problem is pathetic. Mine's still got the original tank underneath because I don't want to turn my car over the the Ford mechanic training department (ie - service dept) and still have the same problem when I get it back.
Old 10/25/07, 08:55 PM
V6 Member

It is more a nuisance than anything really. Just don't pull the gas nozzle at full pressure if it keeps clicking off. The other thing is to install the filler upside down. with the hose up rather than the normal down. I have a couple of regular station I use and fuel Pressure or flow is what causes the problem the gas comes in to fast to be vented and it makes the tank BURP and shuts off the flow.
Old 10/25/07, 09:16 PM
I lust for a M24

I doubt most salesmen have a clue.
Old 10/25/07, 09:28 PM
I lust for a M24

In an ideal world, you are correct. Unfortunately, we live on Earth.
Old 10/25/07, 09:31 PM
I lust for a M24

I saw something you posted about it being a lemon. 99% of those posts are pointless, but maybe not yours. It's my very basic understanding that in order for lemon law to kick in, it has to be a significant problem that goes in for service multiple times and never gets permanently fixed.

I'd consider not being able to put gas in a car a pretty significant problem, and if they can't fix it... then maybe you've got a point.
Old 10/25/07, 10:16 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i saw a thread about this and it came out to be the vent line itself has a filter in it and it gets clogged very easily. one member here took the filter out and that fixed it for good. they verified it was the filter assembly and the dealer replaced it fixing the problem, but the member on here wanted a perm fix.

do some searching and you should find the thread, he had pics of the filter and its location in the thread. i believe its on the bottom side of the tank right under the car where it will collect lots of dirt and crap
Old 10/26/07, 05:07 PM

You may or may not be aware but this is a documented problem. See Ford TSB 05-15-12 and 06-3-13.

If you would like more detail concerning this TSB please PM me.

Thanks

Z
Old 10/26/07, 05:35 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine does it from time to time, car is paid for and I am afraid to take it to the dealer. Never had an issues other than this and we all know what a dealer can do.
Old 10/26/07, 06:25 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 787 Likes on 574 Posts
take it back in and tell them you don't want the car. They should fix it or give you your cash back don't settle for any thing less. my car does not have this problem. If it did I would take it in untill I either got a different car or the problem is fixed. There is a fix.
Old 10/26/07, 07:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine did it from day 1 I bought it. I had the tank replaced and it worked fine for exactly 4 weeks - then it started again... I followed the advise on this board and now I wait about 5-10 seconds after I insert the nozzle before I start it, and now it works perfect.
Old 10/27/07, 05:29 AM
V6 Member

I had the same problem with my 05, along with the "popping" struts issue. There are TSB's on both. I took my car and copies of both TSB's in to my local dealership and left it for a week. They replaced the tank and fixed the strut pop and I have not had any more problems. The tank TSB had specific build dates covering early 2005 cars and I thought it would have been fixed by now.
Old 10/27/07, 06:55 AM
GT Member

Mine did it for a couple of times but I haven't had any problems since. However, when I fill it up, I don't press on the nozzle at full blast. Just back off some and see if that helps.

Quick Reply: S-197 Fuel tank Fill HELP HELP IS this only me!!!!!