Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Rumble noise at 70+

Search this Thread

Old 11/5/07, 08:04 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rumble noise at 70+

I've combed many threads and can't find anyone who may have experienced what I'm encountering. Anyway, I went on my first roadtrip this weekend through the mountains. As I begin to set cruise at 75 I start to hear a low rumble coming from rear of car. So I try decelerating to 70, same thing it disappears at 65. It appears that it also happens under acceleration too. the rumble noise disappears @78 but It does make the car shake alot after too. I had the dealer rebalance the tires, unless they did a poor job, but I'm wondering if it's the driveshaft since the car begins to shake violentely above 90. Being that I rarely am able to cruise that speed as a daily commuter around town I've never paid much to it thinking its just rough road.

Any thoughts or similar experiences before I take it back again.
And what was the outcome ?
Old 11/5/07, 09:12 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gotta be tires or driveshaft.
Old 11/5/07, 10:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I had a rumble sound and vibrations coming through the front floorboard and drivers seat when driving around 60 mph and up until I changed gears to 4.10's. The vibration then moved down to the 50 mph area. I check the drive shaft run-out with a dial gauge and the specs rose from 0.004" at the diff flange to 0.012" at the trans flange u-joint. The trans flange spec was under 0.004". The service manual allows 0.010" maximum run-out so I took my readings to the dealer and let them take the car overnight to verify the vibrations. They ordered and installed a new drive shaft. The vibration and rumble is now gone. There is still a slight vibration at 45-50 mph only but it also transmits through the steering wheel. It may be a tire balance issue.
Old 11/6/07, 07:27 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Lime GT
I had a rumble sound and vibrations coming through the front floorboard and drivers seat when driving around 60 mph and up until I changed gears to 4.10's. The vibration then moved down to the 50 mph area. I check the drive shaft run-out with a dial gauge and the specs rose from 0.004" at the diff flange to 0.012" at the trans flange u-joint. The trans flange spec was under 0.004". The service manual allows 0.010" maximum run-out so I took my readings to the dealer and let them take the car overnight to verify the vibrations. They ordered and installed a new drive shaft. The vibration and rumble is now gone. There is still a slight vibration at 45-50 mph only but it also transmits through the steering wheel. It may be a tire balance issue.

Thanks for input. I think your confirming my suspicions.
Old 11/6/07, 05:05 PM
Cobra Member

Off of what he said, it could possible be the TPMS straps. If they get loose, they will basically circle around the wheel and cause vibration.
Old 11/7/07, 12:56 PM

My 05 at 2,000 mi. had the same problem you described; same speeds and all. It turned out to be the drive shaft and was replaced by the the dealer. I've got 13,500 mi. now and I haven't had a problem since.
Good luck!
Old 11/7/07, 02:17 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 05mineralgt
My 05 at 2,000 mi. had the same problem you described; same speeds and all. It turned out to be the drive shaft and was replaced by the the dealer. I've got 13,500 mi. now and I haven't had a problem since.
Good luck!
Thanks 05 and all

I have a scheduled date with the dealer next week and a ride with servicemgr. I may blow off the day and stay there all day. Just to be sure.
Old 11/8/07, 06:43 AM
Bullitt Member

I've picked up a "rumbling sound " from 60-67 mph. It goes away above or below that speed. No vibration, just a funny sound. It started after I had a dyno tune, CHE K member w/torque limiters and a spydershaft all done within a week so I'm not sure what is causing the noise. A remote thought is that it could be wind noise over the K member. I've had the car up to 90 mph just to check the driveshaft out and there is no vibration/noise at that speed. Anyone esle have this happen with the above mods?
Old 11/13/07, 07:13 AM
Cobra Member

Now I'm T.O.
Spent morning at dealer getting oil and tire rotation.(Free as long as I own car and with synthetic to boot!) Rode with technician and had them hear sound. All is going well until the tech starts trying to tell me that the "noise" is in the tires and that its normal. B.S. I have a friend with an 07 CS with same tires and its a non issue. They rebalance the tires AGAIN and said that 1 was real bad. This is the same tire and same tech that "balanced" it the last time.
Now I have to wait until the service manager returns to continue my complaint.
the tech working on the car has been there 13 years so maybe its not their specialty? I want a different tech for a second opinion! the service manager has heard it and also thinks it could be driveshaft but must let the tech exhaust other options before ordering shaft. they say there is nothing on OASIS regarding this.

Any suggestions as to do next?
Old 11/13/07, 02:57 PM
The Legacy TMS Lady

Received 196 Likes on 128 Posts
Mike, I think we may have purchased from the same dealer. Not too many dealers around here offer the free oil changes, tire rotation, etc. I'm interested to find out how their customer service is and what they do for you. Had an issue with my Expedition and had to take it back to the dealer (a different dealer) a few times before they finally fixed it right. We took a ride out to Deep Creek a couple of Friday's ago to see how the car would handle and it did great through the mountains. Definitely a nice drive this time of year.
Old 11/13/07, 07:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

Did the tech do any runout measurement or use vibration sensing equipment? If it was just a test drive I think he'll have to verify it with some sort of reading so Ford will warranty it.
Just because there's no OASIS doesn't mean every driveshaft made is perfectly balanced. That's a poor excuse by them. I think they should be more concerned with your safety as well as the stress put on the trans and diffs flange bearings.
Old 11/13/07, 08:00 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 08GTCandyApple
Mike, I think we may have purchased from the same dealer. Not too many dealers around here offer the free oil changes, tire rotation, etc. I'm interested to find out how their customer service is and what they do for you. Had an issue with my Expedition and had to take it back to the dealer (a different dealer) a few times before they finally fixed it right. We took a ride out to Deep Creek a couple of Friday's ago to see how the car would handle and it did great through the mountains. Definitely a nice drive this time of year.
Jill,
The Service manager is a great guy, His name is Bob. One of the advisors, Rick is also a great guy to deal with. They will give you a loaner if you ask for one, but not for oil changes. I think they have a problem with keeping good techs who really know their stuff. I will see Bob again on Thursday. Hopefully I can convince him to order a new shaft B4 work is done. I'll keep you posted.
P.S. Our trip was just to Harpers Ferry and past Charlestown.

I also had a little fun with a C6 'vette convertible on way back. On Rt. 340 there is a nice straight once you pass Brunswick when it goes to 2 lanes, he whips around me and nails it, wellll, I couldn't let him get away...Could I? Had to see what she could do, Soooo, I get on it too and pull up next to him. Now mind you my 1 tire is vibrating like teeth on a cold day and my hood is a fluttering like a hummingbird thats drunk. I glance down and notice I'm doing 130! I still had plenty of pedal left and mashed it to start to pull ahead. The guy in the vette was shocked that I was still with him.(He couldn't pull away either) I finally backed down when it looked like my hood was going to fly off it was waving that bad. ( I guess if I do that again, I will need hood pins!) I am surprised at how stable it is at that speed for being completely stock. My wife had me pull in at the next gas station and the vette followed me in. He introduced himself and chatted while my wife was inside. He said he was surprised that a stock mustang had so much giddyup.
FYI- His 'vette was also stock. BTW- My wife thinks we were doing only 90ish
Old 11/13/07, 08:02 PM
Cobra Member

Did the tech do any runout measurement or use vibration sensing equipment? If it was just a test drive I think he'll have to verify it with some sort of reading so Ford will warranty it.
Just because there's no OASIS doesn't mean every driveshaft made is perfectly balanced. That's a poor excuse by them. I think they should be more concerned with your safety as well as the stress put on the trans and diffs flange bearings.

They were more concerned about ruling out the tires as an issue. I doubt very seriously they did any of that.
This will help, thanks
Old 11/26/07, 10:51 AM
Cobra Member

Taking her in tomorrow morning for almost the same excact thing. Anything 55+ I get a rumble and vibration, but only if I'm cruising in 5th. If am accelerating in any gear, I do not get the vibration at any speed.

Love the car just hope they can get this fixed quick. I have some friends flying up on the 1st and would like to have my car instead of some loaner.
Old 11/27/07, 12:04 PM
Cobra Member

"Cannot duplicate the problem and any vibrations we did feel are normal for a Mustang"

Sorry but when there's a audible rumble, accompanied with a vibration, coming from my car that isn't exhaust something is wrong! I'm suppose to go for a drive with him tonight after work.. (-.-)
Old 11/27/07, 12:06 PM
Cobra Member

Anyone know of a TSB for this?
Old 11/27/07, 02:25 PM
Cobra Member

OK got car back. Car rides beautifully. no violent vibration now. As for the rumble... still there. The vibration is minimal but the D***ned harmonic rumble is still present at 70. The funny thing though is I too only hear it in 5th gear. I wonder if the exhaust actually has a drone? Doubt it. They are going to order the new shaft since we do feel vibration in 2000 rpm range in 2-5 gears. The harmonics in this car are BIZarre
Old 11/27/07, 07:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by runningwild4.6
The harmonics in this car are BIZarre
That's an understatement.....
Old 11/27/07, 07:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by runningwild4.6
OK got car back. Car rides beautifully. no violent vibration now.
So what did they do? Balance the tires?
Old 11/28/07, 06:17 AM
Cobra Member

So what did they do? Balance the tires?
They reindexed 2 tires and load? balanced all 4. Like I said the severe vibrations are gone but there is still that slight vibration starting at @ 60 with that HUM /rumble kicking in at 70. I know its not tire noise but proving it is another matter! besides ordering new DS, I am seeing if they will temporarily swap out wheels from another vehicle on lot that we have tested to see if noise is still there. If it goes away, then we can safely assume that I have bad tires. If it continues then it seems like its in the driveline. I feel like I'm the patient and Doctor trying to diagnose myself! If the noise started at 80 I wouldn't care as much, but I drive a lot at 70ish, and it becomes maddening after a while! I really love the car otherwise and just wish I didn't have to know the service department people so well!
I guess I'm developing a rapport with them(as a PITA) LOL!

Quick Reply: Rumble noise at 70+