Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Remote Trunk release problem

Search this Thread

Old 7/29/10 | 01:36 PM
Bullitt Member

Remote Trunk release problem

Last weekend, my trunk release start to behaving in an interesting manner. Instead of one "pop" and the trunk was open, it now makes noise as if it is being activated about 20 times in very rapid succession. The trunk will still open no problem, just weird that it is making this noise.

I have a short video that shows what is happening. http://www.mikuhl.net/corral/trunk.MOV

Any ideas?
Old 3/20/12 | 03:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

My 06 GT has developed this exact problem. Did you ever find the cause?
Old 3/20/12 | 03:38 PM
Post *****

needs new batteries?
Old 4/16/12 | 07:34 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Rash
My 06 GT has developed this exact problem. Did you ever find the cause?
Mine too. The latch is sticking. I put silicone spray on the weather stripping because it was sticking and shot some white lithium grease into the latch. It really helped but its still happened a couple times.
Old 4/17/12 | 02:34 PM
Bullitt Member

Nope. I never found the solution to the problem. I replaced the latch mechanism, and it still does it. Although now it does it every single time, not just randomly. And it's not just when I use the keyless entry, its even when I use the key.

When I replaced the latch, I found out that the key doesn't actually turn the latch. When you turn the key, it activates a relay which then activates the trunk release solenoid (which is also activated by the keyless entry). The solenoid is part of the trunk latch, and when I replaced it the same thing still happens. So there is some sort of electrical gremlin/short somewhere in that system.