Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Rattle/resonance from under car when engine cold

Old 5/9/07, 11:18 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rattle/resonance from under car when engine cold

Hi,
I get this rattle/resonance from under my car when I start from cold. The sound is like a driving a car with a tail pipe draging on the ground. It lasts until the motor warms up, and seems worse at about 2500RPM.
The car has the the two bell housing bolts that were missing on some of the early ones, so that's not what's causing it.
Been to the dealer once, left the car overnight, suposedly fixed, now worse than ever...
Thanks,
Paul
Old 5/12/07, 07:51 AM
Bullitt Member

I have it...

not from a cold start but through the entire gear range, cruising on the highway too....annoying as hell! sounds like metal to metal vibration as well as that clunky rattle sound...i am having them look into the bell housing bolts this week too, as i had my entire exhaust system looked at last week and they could not findanything, in essence, i have two rattles....
Old 5/12/07, 03:30 PM
Bullitt Member

Might have them take a look for a heat shield that is loose or slightly out of position. I had another car do that (2002) and that was what it turned out to be.
Old 5/15/07, 11:00 PM
Bullitt Member

My F-150 baffled ford so much that they actually flew some guys in to assist with the problem...

The problem turned out to be rocks in between the fender well liner and the fender itself.
Old 5/16/07, 02:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Some early 05's like mine had bolts missing from the transmission inspection plate. Did the same thing on cold start ups.
Old 5/16/07, 07:53 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by stangster
Might have them take a look for a heat shield that is loose or slightly out of position. I had another car do that (2002) and that was what it turned out to be.
+1 on the shield- just mentioned that in another thread, mine wasnt loose, but just 'flat'...being flat it tended to 'flutter' a bit (only at low rpm upshifts though). mine I just 'pushed' on to give it a 'bowed' shape, flutter stopped. I wasnt looking for it on mine, just bumped it when working underneath, and heard a familiar sound...get under there and thunp around a bit, but bet that huge heatshield could be it
Old 9/1/07, 08:24 PM

This one annoyed me for awhile. Really, really emabarassing.

I checked to see if the bell housing bolts were there and they are. But if you look up inside between the housing and the plate, there is an extremely tight clearance there. I'm not sure if its because of the tight clearance, but I'm pretty sure its just that plate resonating. The resonance is dependent on RPM and temperature.

So here's the fix... Just undo the two lower bolts that hold the plate to the bell housing. Put a small spacer (1-2 mm) in between and bolt back up.

It'll be fixed.
Old 9/7/07, 10:55 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
For what it's worth - http://www.mustangforums.com/fb.asp?m=3829061 But I like HL22's method better.
Old 9/10/07, 02:14 PM

fixed the issue!!

read this:

http://www.mustangforums.com/m_3772748/tm.htm

"So, I FINALLY got the problem fixed! My normal Ford dealership was closed, so I had to take it to Woodfield Ford in Schaumburg, IL. Luckily, they had seen the problem before - and they're trying to get Ford to issue a TSB about this as it is common. So, here is the solution - and if anyone else has a problem, tell them to call Woodfield Ford in IL - 847 882 5031 - they've fixed the problem before, and did it again with me!

EDIT: the problem was the spacer plate between engine and transmission contacting the back of the engine - print the following out and give it to your dealer if need be! "

(picture in original thread)

EDIT: just saw the post above me...sorry!!
Old 9/15/07, 07:33 PM
Team Mustang Source

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by HL22
This one annoyed me for awhile. Really, really emabarassing.

I checked to see if the bell housing bolts were there and they are. But if you look up inside between the housing and the plate, there is an extremely tight clearance there. I'm not sure if its because of the tight clearance, but I'm pretty sure its just that plate resonating. The resonance is dependent on RPM and temperature.

So here's the fix... Just undo the two lower bolts that hold the plate to the bell housing. Put a small spacer (1-2 mm) in between and bolt back up.

It'll be fixed.
You are the man! Sheer genius! This fixed it for me I had that annoying, inexcusable 3000-3200RPM rattle, regardless of the engine temp, and it's completely gone now. I used a small metal washer, and a rubber washer as well. See the attached pic.
Attached Thumbnails Rattle/resonance from under car when engine cold-dsc06161.jpg   Rattle/resonance from under car when engine cold-dsc06162.jpg  
Old 9/18/07, 10:48 PM
Team Mustang Source

I have this annoying rattle too and am anxious to get it fixed. What is the diameter of the bolt the washers have to fit over?

Jon
Old 9/19/07, 04:35 AM
Team Mustang Source

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Jon_Purdy
I have this annoying rattle too and am anxious to get it fixed. What is the diameter of the bolt the washers have to fit over?

Jon
10mm x 1.5mm thread, 3/4" long - got 'em at Lowes
Old 9/25/07, 09:29 AM
Bullitt Member

A Huge Thank You

taking the vehicle to the dealer for this fix 2 morrow!!!!! it was extremely annoying for certain!
Old 9/26/07, 09:01 AM
Bullitt Member

How Do We Elevate This So Ford Makes It A Tsb?

how can we get Ford to issue a TSB on this?????
Old 9/28/07, 10:45 AM
Bullitt Member

Diffrent fix

Went to the dealer yesterday, scheduled a fix for Monday, they actually fixed the issue on many vehicles (including Shelby's). Their explanation was that plate was actually vibrating and barely making contact with the flywheel, what they do is pull the trans, remove the plate and grind the flange down so contact is not possible). I feel fortunate that they've done quite a few vehicles already, cannot wait to get rid of the problem. Ford should step up and do something about this......
Old 9/28/07, 11:15 AM
Mach 1 Member

I think I'd rather use a couple washers to fix it rather than pulling the whole tranny.
Old 9/28/07, 11:26 AM
Bullitt Member

my thought is this, if indeed the plate is hitting the flywheel, i'd rather eliminate the issue permanently by ensuring that there is no possibility of it happening again by eliminating the plate clearance issue, as well, Ford will be warrantee'ing the repair so IF (a big IF) it happens to resurface, they are on the hook....not knocking the fix by MTAS, he did great investigative work in just locating this anomalie...for me, I'll let the dealer handle....also, it must get pretty hot underneath, not sure if that washer will disintegrate over time and cause' additional headaches...just a thought, not saying one is better then the other...
Old 9/28/07, 03:24 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by inVERTed
my thought is this, if indeed the plate is hitting the flywheel, i'd rather eliminate the issue permanently by ensuring that there is no possibility of it happening again by eliminating the plate clearance issue, as well, Ford will be warrantee'ing the repair so IF (a big IF) it happens to resurface, they are on the hook....not knocking the fix by MTAS, he did great investigative work in just locating this anomalie...for me, I'll let the dealer handle....also, it must get pretty hot underneath, not sure if that washer will disintegrate over time and cause' additional headaches...just a thought, not saying one is better then the other...
I appreciate the props Jeff, but all the credit for the "2-washer fix" goes to HL22 and his post here http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showpo...82&postcount=7

I personally don't see how the flywheel could be touching the dust shield. The flywheel is bolted to the crank, then has the clutch/pressure plate assembly on top of that
Old 9/29/07, 04:27 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by MTAS
I appreciate the props Jeff, but all the credit for the "2-washer fix" goes to HL22 and his post here http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showpo...82&postcount=7

I personally don't see how the flywheel could be touching the dust shield. The flywheel is bolted to the crank, then has the clutch/pressure plate assembly on top of that
many are alot more knowledgeable then me for sure, and I see your point...however....if they know how to eliminate that sound by another means, fine by me, as long as its gone, many ways to skin a cat i guess...
Old 10/1/07, 03:33 PM
Bullitt Member

Fixed

cost me $100 but I hope to have Ford Customer Service reimburse me as I am just outside Warranty...The fix: Found noise coming from trans bellhousing area, remove trans and inspect found flywheel rubbing on inspection plate, removed, replaced and modified inspection plate, reinstall trans and bleed air from hyd clutch, re-road tes OK..... ....man, my driving experience is 100X more pleasurable.............

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rattle/resonance from under car when engine cold