Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Rattle during acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 2/6/06, 09:28 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My '05 developed a rattle at about the 5500 mile mark. I am bad at describing noises or telling where they are coming from, but another member named "clockworks" described it pretty well in the GT Performance subform like this:

"I have the same thing. It sounds like two thin pieces of metal vibrating against each other very rapidly. Mine happens between 2900-3100 RPM. I don't think it's detonation because it ONLY happens at that range. Sometimes, I can get the sound to last a bit longer if I stop accelerating quickly right when the sound starts and then very slowly accelerate through that range."

This is exactly what I'm hearing. I know it's not detonation, because I know what detonation sounds like. Detonation (pinging) sounds like my old '95 under acceleration. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img]

At first I thought it might be coming from the dashboard, but now I don't think so. The only thing I can add to clockworks description is:

- mine happens under moderate/hard acceleration. it does not happen under gentle acceleration. It does seem to be in the same rpm range, about 3000 rpm, plus or minus 500 rpm.

- it also sometimes happens on deceleration, if I back off the throttle above 3500 rpm or so, it will rattle when it goes through the 3000 rpm range.

- it is worse when cold. both easier to reproduce, and a bit louder. as the car warms up it starts to go away.

I'm wondering if something got loose, since the problem wasn't always there. I hesitate to bring it to the dealer without having more information first.

Has anyone been able to figure out what this problem is?
Old 2/6/06, 04:31 PM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wjones14 @ February 6, 2006, 10:31 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
My '05 developed a rattle at about the 5500 mile mark. I am bad at describing noises or telling where they are coming from, but another member named "clockworks" described it pretty well in the GT Performance subform like this:

"I have the same thing. It sounds like two thin pieces of metal vibrating against each other very rapidly. Mine happens between 2900-3100 RPM. I don't think it's detonation because it ONLY happens at that range. Sometimes, I can get the sound to last a bit longer if I stop accelerating quickly right when the sound starts and then very slowly accelerate through that range."

This is exactly what I'm hearing. I know it's not detonation, because I know what detonation sounds like. Detonation (pinging) sounds like my old '95 under acceleration. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img]

At first I thought it might be coming from the dashboard, but now I don't think so. The only thing I can add to clockworks description is:

- mine happens under moderate/hard acceleration. it does not happen under gentle acceleration. It does seem to be in the same rpm range, about 3000 rpm, plus or minus 500 rpm.

- it also sometimes happens on deceleration, if I back off the throttle above 3500 rpm or so, it will rattle when it goes through the 3000 rpm range.

- it is worse when cold. both easier to reproduce, and a bit louder. as the car warms up it starts to go away.

I'm wondering if something got loose, since the problem wasn't always there. I hesitate to bring it to the dealer without having more information first.

[/b][/quote]

I have the exact same thing with mine. Since I installed the Magnaflows, the new exhaust system makes just enough noise to have covered up the "jingle".. I know it's still there tho...
Old 2/8/06, 11:03 AM
Bullitt Member

I think I know what you're talking about..I have the problem when it's really cold out, under moderate to heavy acceleration. I always just thought it was my exhaust hanger or something. Seems to go away when it warms up, I hope it's nothing serious [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img]
Old 2/8/06, 11:51 AM

i've also been posting about this exact problem, mine seems to be at 2500 rpm consistently

I had the dealership install 2 bolts on the bell housing that were missing from the factory (many cars were missing them), this was about 3 months ago, it seemed to fix the problem

i haven't been able to look and see if they have fallen out, but the noise is definately back

I don't think my bolts could have come out, but then again, if this rattle is that consistent on that many cars... maybe the vibration popped the bolts out

i wish i could look under the car, i've lowered it, and my head no longer fits
Old 2/8/06, 01:04 PM

Is tracking control initiating itself??? bcuz that will definetely cause a huge rattle and its something to be proud of =D !
Old 2/8/06, 01:07 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine has the jingle rattle too under accelleration. Sounds like its coming from somewhere near the firewall on the driver's side [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img] Seems a little worse on colder days.
Old 2/8/06, 01:23 PM
9 is not my lucky number.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I feel better now, I thought my engine was pinging. Mine does the same. Always happens on hard acceleration. It doesn't happen all the time though, it has a mind of its own.
Old 2/8/06, 01:34 PM

the rattle during fast acceleration is nothing to worry about...
Old 2/8/06, 02:58 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 67 Likes on 32 Posts
if not missing bellhousing lower bolts, might be a cat. heatshield rattle...next time its up for an oilchange, look for bolts, and tap on the heatshields to see if one makes same sound...I'm suprised the heatshileds dont vibrate/make noise, as theyre pretty darn thin, and kinda 'suspended' there the way theyre mounted...
Old 2/8/06, 03:07 PM
GT Member

Mine has a rattle since I installed Flowmasters, it really sounded like it was coming from the dash area, but I figured out it's the e-brake handle. Also has a constant, constant buzzing in the passenger door, since the day I drove her home. That one ford can fix this spring.
Old 2/8/06, 03:33 PM
9 is not my lucky number.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ford won't fix it because your aftermarket part is causing the rattle.

As far as heat shields go, I like to call them "knuckle shredders". Anybody who has done exhaust work or replaced your shifter knows what I'm talking about.
Old 2/9/06, 06:26 AM
Bullitt Member

Dustin - Man you gotta get yo'self a new avatar man... :barf: [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]

I've beat / tapped everything under my car and have not been able top reproduce the noise. On another forum someone said that there was a metal tag on the side of the tranny and it was left loose on some cars and that was the source of the jingle. I found the tag but the bolt is tight and the tag cannot jingle against anything.

Like I said earlier - since I installed the Magnaflow Cat-Back system, I can't hear it that much so it doesn't really bother me - but I know it's still there..
Old 2/9/06, 07:13 AM
Mach 1 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(michaelkulov @ February 8, 2006, 3:37 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
the rattle during fast acceleration is nothing to worry about...
[/b][/quote]

I think we're all pretty much in agreement that the rattle isn't harmful or something to worry about. But it's annoying, and frankly, embarrassing when someone else is in the car and they ask "what's that rattle?" [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/mad.gif[/img]
Old 2/9/06, 08:56 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wjones14 @ February 9, 2006, 8:16 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I think we're all pretty much in agreement that the rattle isn't harmful or something to worry about. But it's annoying, and frankly, embarrassing when someone else is in the car and they ask "what's that rattle?" [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/mad.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

hahaa jus tell em its all rw HP and Torque, cuz ain't it?
Old 2/9/06, 09:54 AM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Big-Foot @ February 9, 2006, 8:29 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
On another forum someone said that there was a metal tag on the side of the tranny and it was left loose on some cars and that was the source of the jingle. I found the tag but the bolt is tight and the tag cannot jingle against anything.

[/b][/quote]

Randy, can you share some more details about this metal tag? What side of tranny, exact location, etc...? I have a metal on metal rattling noise that comes and goes from underneath the shifter somewhere. Thanks.
Old 2/9/06, 11:24 AM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BLT2RUN @ February 9, 2006, 10:57 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Randy, can you share some more details about this metal tag? What side of tranny, exact location, etc...? I have a metal on metal rattling noise that comes and goes from underneath the shifter somewhere. Thanks.
[/b][/quote]

It's the transmission ID tag and it's bolted to the side of the transmission. I can't remember which side for sure, but I think it's the left (driver's) side.. The tag is aluminum.
Old 4/14/06, 12:58 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wjones14 @ February 6, 2006, 11:31 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

[/b][/quote]

I was just going to start a topic on this problem. This started at about 6000 miles, what a PIA, I finally got my Hurst shifter to stop vibrating and now I got this stupid noise at 3100 rpm, accelerating or decelerating, it is a little better when it ios Hot outside. It sounds as if it is coming from behind the dash somwhere, but I cannot for the life of me pinpoint the problem. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banghead.gif[/img]
Does anybody have a pic of the missing bellhousing bolts, I could take a look easily because I have a lift.
Old 4/14/06, 04:21 PM
V6 Member

Got to post 14 of http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?showtopic=15451
Old 4/15/06, 05:41 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have that metal-to-metal rattle at 2900-3100 RPM as well. I think it's the panhard rod hitting the panhard brace. I spoke to the BMR guys at NMRA a month ago and they were aware of the problem and are currently doing the R&D on a replacement panhard brace. I thought maybe it was a couple of folding chairs I keep in the trunk, but it wasn't. So obviously this is occuring on non-lowered cars with stock panhard rods too. Just something to throw out there, not sure if this is the guaranteed cause on all cases [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif[/img]
Old 4/15/06, 03:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Possibly?? - fixed mine. Not sure if this is your problem or not. Couple dollars for hose clamps can't hurt though.

Quick Reply: Rattle during acceleration