Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Parking brake freezing

Search this Thread

Old 3/1/06, 08:24 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(05stangkc @ March 1, 2006, 9:19 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
[attachmentid=46184]

This may be usefull
[/b][/quote]

nice Kevin!

off topic, lemme ask. You work at a dealer in parts?
Old 3/2/06, 06:47 AM
Administrator, Shop Manual PDF Poster, Parts Locator & Spam Bot Eliminator!!

Received 2,733 Likes on 2,024 Posts
I am the Parts Manager at Clevenger Ford Lincoln Mercury.
Old 3/3/06, 05:58 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU Kevin.

Off topic: Any info/price on M-6066-M463V?
Old 4/21/06, 12:24 PM
Bullitt Member

Update...car is for sale due to job change http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?showtopic=47323
Old 4/21/06, 01:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

This whole thread boggles my mind. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/headscratch.gif[/img] I had my 1998 Mustang for nearly three years, used the parking brake EVERY SINGLE DAY, including many sub-freezing days (lots of ice and freezing slush to boot), and never EVER had the brake freeze up like that. I have done the same with several other of my manual tranny cars without a freeze-up. Until I read this thread, I had never even heard of a parking brake doing that. Maybe I'm just lucky, but I doubt it.
Old 11/3/06, 02:50 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Any resolution to this problem? I experience it this morning! I saw Kevin posted an attachment, but it's not there anymore.

Jason
Old 11/3/06, 05:10 PM
Cobra Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Kevin,
Could you repost please. Had my 1st experience this morning also.Just the passenger side on mine.Gonna try some lube tomorrow & will limit my use , but freezing weather here is a 4MO or so fact of life every year.
Got mine unstuck after pulling off the wheel & tapping on the lever.Local Ford dealer claims they've not heard of this issue before.
Old 11/4/06, 12:21 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

There is a TSB for this problem. You can find it on ModularFords.
Old 11/4/06, 07:43 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by aircare84
Kevin,
Could you repost please. Had my 1st experience this morning also.Just the passenger side on mine.Gonna try some lube tomorrow & will limit my use , but freezing weather here is a 4MO or so fact of life every year.
Got mine unstuck after pulling off the wheel & tapping on the lever.Local Ford dealer claims they've not heard of this issue before.
It is so hard for dealers to see or hear of these things when their eyes are shut and their hands are covering their ears.
Old 11/4/06, 08:04 AM
Cobra Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by max2000jp
There is a TSB for this problem. You can find it on ModularFords.
Thanks max2000jp
Old 11/4/06, 10:13 AM

I've found it's always a good idea to print out the TSB and take it with you to the "blind, deaf, and certainly dumb" dealer. I had the e-brake problem fixed without much trouble but getting the fuel pump replaced was like pulling teeth. I had to contact corporate Ford to try to get them to have my dealer do it, and I was interrogated on where I got my copy of the TSB - apparently it wasn't meant to be public. The dealer turned out to be more help than Ford Customer Service. Go figure.......
Old 12/4/06, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by mc_mstng
I've found it's always a good idea to print out the TSB and take it with you to the "blind, deaf, and certainly dumb" dealer. I had the e-brake problem fixed without much trouble but getting the fuel pump replaced was like pulling teeth. I had to contact corporate Ford to try to get them to have my dealer do it, and I was interrogated on where I got my copy of the TSB - apparently it wasn't meant to be public. The dealer turned out to be more help than Ford Customer Service. Go figure.......
i got burned today by the freezing parking brake. i work at the Ford Business Assistance Center and directly with Ford Customer Service Division (FCSD) employees on a daily basis. i've never raised a ruckus with anyone over any of the poor service experiences i have had. but let me tell you...it was painful and embarrassing to see Ford's competitors product pulling out of the parking lot with ease as i sat stuck in Ford's parking lot in my 2005 Mustang GT. the roadside assistance folks wanted to know my location so they could send a tow truck...um, yeah, i'm in Ford's parking lot just down the street from Ford World Headquarters in Dearborn, MI. i was told it would be an hour and 20 minutes before someone would be by. great. i get a call-back about five minutes later from the roadside assistance group and they wanted to get more information about where exactly i was located. i'm thinking, okay they want to know the lot (north or west) and isle i'm in...after all, its a big place. nope, they wanted to know where “deerthorn,” Michigan was. WTF? Hello? DEARBORN, you know where FORD World Headquarters is. i begged to know if the fine lady from overseas knew where Ford WHQ was, she said no. Okay, fine. I get her to understand where I am by spelling it out clearly. I get a call-back after another five minutes...yeah, it'll be two hours before they are able to get to you. I said forget it. I left the **** car there. I'll have AAA tow it to a dealer tomorrow where they will perform TSB 06-5-4.

i'll be more than happy to share with them where i got my copy of the TSB.
Old 12/5/06, 06:40 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by DarkStar
i got burned today by the freezing parking brake. i work at the Ford Business Assistance Center and directly with Ford Customer Service Division (FCSD) employees on a daily basis. i've never raised a ruckus with anyone over any of the poor service experiences i have had. but let me tell you...it was painful and embarrassing to see Ford's competitors product pulling out of the parking lot with ease as i sat stuck in Ford's parking lot in my 2005 Mustang GT. the roadside assistance folks wanted to know my location so they could send a tow truck...um, yeah, i'm in Ford's parking lot just down the street from Ford World Headquarters in Dearborn, MI. i was told it would be an hour and 20 minutes before someone would be by. great. i get a call-back about five minutes later from the roadside assistance group and they wanted to get more information about where exactly i was located. i'm thinking, okay they want to know the lot (north or west) and isle i'm in...after all, its a big place. nope, they wanted to know where “deerthorn,†Michigan was. WTF? Hello? DEARBORN, you know where FORD World Headquarters is. i begged to know if the fine lady from overseas knew where Ford WHQ was, she said no. Okay, fine. I get her to understand where I am by spelling it out clearly. I get a call-back after another five minutes...yeah, it'll be two hours before they are able to get to you. I said forget it. I left the **** car there. I'll have AAA tow it to a dealer tomorrow where they will perform TSB 06-5-4.

i'll be more than happy to share with them where i got my copy of the TSB.
Old 12/5/06, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by NosferatuVI
My car has done the same exact thing, but it seems like only the drivers rear is frozen, all four rotors/calipers were frozen, (my car has not been driven much since Oct and sits outside). So yesterday I get in it to take it out and its locked up I tried hitting it with the windshield de ice stuff and just got it to unlock somewhat.

Drive it just under a mile and the rear drivers side is smoking, So I take it to the closest heated spray car wash and hose it down, so now my car has frozen water droplets all over it, the brake still riding the rotor and then finally it releases.

Of course my rotor is scared and will need to be turned.

Lesson is, while the car sits for a week or two at a time without being driven and while its below freezing, to not put on the Ebrake I guess.

Sucks, but what can you do it below freezing outside.

My Tundra no problems, but I drive it practically every day.
The same exact thing happened to me yesterday. It was about 15 degrees in northern Indiana. I drove about 50 miles to work and when I went to leave it something was slowing me down. I took a look at the rear brakes and my driver side disc was TRASHED! The pass. side was just fine. Needless to say, I called the dealer I bought it from and scheduled a day to bring it in and have them fix it. They are a good dealer and I dont anticipate any problems. Let's hope I am right.
Old 12/5/06, 08:42 AM
Bullitt Member

I thought we all knew this since late 04 when the first 05's were being delivered during the winter.

My car locked up the rear brakes one time when it was below freezing outside and since then I knew not to engage the emergancy brake when the temp drops below freezing.

Not really a huge issue, you know what causes it and under what conditions. So for you to succumb to the freezing rear brakes of death multiple times...

is well, I am sure there is a word for it, lol.

It's a low priced heritage "sports" car, not a lexus.

Deal with it or go buy a Honda.

I am not sure even the TSB really fixes the problem, much like the Tank fill TSB, some people still have difficulty filling the tank even after the TSB fix. So is it really that big of a pain to turn the nozzle upside down while filling it up ?????
Old 12/5/06, 08:45 AM
Legacy TMS Member

It's a low priced heritage "sports" car, not a lexus.
Deal with it or go buy a Honda.
My Crown Vic deals with cold weather just fine. The same goes for my T-bird and our E-250 cargo van. As I recall, none of the cars I had in the past had any problems with stuck/frozen e-brakes.

None of these vehicles are high end luxury cars, but they manage just fine. The Mustang GT should not be any different.
Old 12/5/06, 08:56 AM
Bullitt Member

was the Crown Vic, T-Bird and Econo van the first model year ?????

S197 was a brand new platform, there is a difference there.
Old 12/5/06, 09:19 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by NosferatuVI
was the Crown Vic, T-Bird and Econo van the first model year ?????

S197 was a brand new platform, there is a difference there.
I've read about 06s and 07s having similar parking brake freezes. Those weren't first model years for the S-197.
Old 12/5/06, 11:51 AM

add me to the list... sunday night I went out to grab a bite to eat, when I come back the e-brake handle moved freely, but the brake itself was locked on tightly. Called roadside, had it towed. Then yesterday when I was dropping off the keys, there was another mustang, his was 06 in for the same problem. The dealer told me about the TSB, should be picking it up today.

for anyone that had it fixed... do you still use your ebrake in cold weather? any problems since?

I've owned many manual cars, all in michigan, plenty of cold weather, never had an ebrake even remotely stick...huge pita
Old 12/5/06, 11:57 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Bloody Guts
add me to the list... sunday night I went out to grab a bite to eat, when I come back the e-brake handle moved freely, but the brake itself was locked on tightly. Called roadside, had it towed. Then yesterday when I was dropping off the keys, there was another mustang, his was 06 in for the same problem. The dealer told me about the TSB, should be picking it up today.

for anyone that had it fixed... do you still use your ebrake in cold weather? any problems since?

I've owned many manual cars, all in michigan, plenty of cold weather, never had an ebrake even remotely stick...huge pita
And SE MI isn't cold compared to other regions of the US.

Quick Reply: Parking brake freezing