Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Mustang Lemons - the sad truth...

Search this Thread

Old 2/14/06, 02:55 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been reading some sad posts about a few Mustangs that were lemons. I'm sure they aren't the only examples of Mustangs that are/were lemons. I hate to see this fine car and these fine people frustrated by Ford! It really burns me up!! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banghead.gif[/img]
Sadly, I must say, that for me my car will never be a lemon. Even if I end up at the dealer more than I drive her I will still persist in getting things fixed. It's as bad as being married! Even though it's just a car, I'm in this for the long haul. My wife and I waited a LONG time to buy and when we did buy it cost us a fortune (for us $30k plus warranties and stripes is a king's ransom) and we're not about to give up because of a few measly hundred trips to the service center... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/crying.gif[/img]
I suspect this is part of the problem! Ford KNOWS that there are people like me that will persist in walking through FIERY FLAMES OF DEATH to get our babies fixed. They know that we will wade through terrible customer service, below standard parts, poor fit and finish, rattles, vibrations, beeps, knocks - whatever it takes to keep us driving our retro dream cars... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/headscratch.gif[/img]
Ok, I admit it, I'm a sick person. But when it comes to my Mustang, I'll never cry lemon, just tears of pain! The only way they're going to get this car from me is prying her from my cold dead fingers!!

Just my opinion. I'm not blaming anyone for taking back their car as a lemon. This is just me.

But I don't think I'm alone on this one.

Joe
Old 2/14/06, 03:03 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 67 Likes on 32 Posts
I love this car too...I cant help but think 'theres no such thing as a lemon' just inept service techs...anything can be fixed. I can understand the frustration of folks going back umpteen times for same unfixed problem though...I work on stuff myself as much as possible and hope to never 'need' my warranty bad enough to have to take it in...if I ever do, I'll be camping out with it. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]
Old 2/14/06, 06:04 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ford4v429 @ February 14, 2006, 2:06 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I work on stuff myself as much as possible and hope to never 'need' my warranty bad enough to have to take it in...if I ever do, I'll be camping out with it. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

Yeah I suspect this is precisely why it's such a hassle when you take it in... because they want you to go away and not bother them with warranty work. A shame but probably true.
Old 2/15/06, 07:28 AM
Cobra Member

I too respect your dedication and persistence in problem solving. I feel the same way, but a person can be worn down by the time, money, and the never-ending fustration of trying to solve seemingly unrepairable problem(s) with a car. It wouldn't be quite as bad if a person has a second car, but a lot of folks don't.

The biggest problem is the S197 Mustang shouldn't have the number of problems I'm seeing reported. Ford can do a better job, and needs to, if they want to retain customers.
Old 2/15/06, 04:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

I think the new Mustang GT is somewhat better than average, the V6 I heard is a little below. I haven't had a serious problem, and the 1 mnor problem isn't worth mentioning. Ever car, every make, every model has problems...stand in any service bay and you'll see first hand! We have a very visible new car, with a very active Forum. The number of "lemons" we see here is magnified. There were all of four threads with "Lemon" in it. There was one buy back mentioned here I think. And how many Mustangs were sold last year? How many of them are raced?

You can buy into the (domestic inferiority) myth if you want to, but I think Ford's products are as good or better than anybody's. I will admit a lot of Ford dealerships have service "issues" and lackluster CSIs (Customer Satisfaction Index) but if you shop around for good service you can find it.
Old 2/15/06, 08:02 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(grrr428 @ February 15, 2006, 6:04 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I think the new Mustang GT is somewhat better than average, the V6 I heard is a little below. I haven't had a serious problem, and the 1 mnor problem isn't worth mentioning. Ever car, every make, every model has problems...stand in any service bay and you'll see first hand! We have a very visible new car, with a very active Forum. The number of "lemons" we see here is magnified. There were all of four threads with "Lemon" in it. There was one buy back mentioned here I think. And how many Mustangs were sold last year? How many of them are raced?

You can buy into the (domestic inferiority) myth if you want to, but I think Ford's products are as good or better than anybody's. I will admit a lot of Ford dealerships have service "issues" and lackluster CSIs (Customer Satisfaction Index) but if you shop around for good service you can find it.
[/b][/quote]

My last 1999 Buick Le Sabre cost $30k back then. It was named one of the most reliable American cars. Mine was a lemon. By 13k mi. it had several warranty fixes. At 26k mi. I called it the Buick Valdez because of all the oil in my driveway. All makes have Lemons. I will never buy a Buick again, but that has more to do with GM turning it's back on the workers than that one crappy Buick. My mom's 1993 is still doing fine.
Old 2/27/06, 01:07 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(grrr428 @ February 15, 2006, 6:04 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
[/b][/quote]

I agree 100%. This nonsense about Domestic cars being bad is just silly, though it would seem the country is buying into it [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smilies23.gif[/img] . I will never give in to that mind set, I had an import truck and wished I owned a F-150 instead.
Old 2/27/06, 01:28 PM
Team Mustang Source

The biggest problem is that you see more negtive posts on car message boards, since people are pissed that something is wrong with their car, then people who are happy with them. Whens the last time you saw someone throw a cupcake?

With my current car, a SVT Focus, which has been pretty limited in production. On the one message board I visit, there was several problems that nearly every car had though its run. It was down right scary, considering that you where lucky to have about 5-10% of the owners posting there...and EVERYONE had experanced the same issue with the car. It was downright horrible. since it seemed like everyone experanced the same problem roughly at the same time.
Old 2/27/06, 09:27 PM
Bullitt Member

Contrary to how I might feel the next time I am stranded by it, I love this car far too much to get rid of it - lemon or not. There is simply nothing like it. I do wish that dealers cared more about CSI's, they have obviously devalued those ratings in service advisor and director paychecks as of late...CSI should be at least 75% of their paycheck.