Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Most Likely Dead Alternator. '07 V6

Old 11/13/14, 10:39 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
Most Likely Dead Alternator. '07 V6

The cold temps here in Colorado and no garage were the straws that broke the camel's back. My '07 V6 Pony has 75,200 miles on it. Unless you have been living under a rock, you have heard or seen the bitter cold temperatures and the snow we have had this past week.

Over the years, the battery had been giving me issues. I am on my second one. The low temperature last night was about 11 F below 0. I didn't drive my Mustang yesterday (maybe 5 F warmer). Today, I go out to my car around 2 PM, it won't crank over. I got it jumped. I drove around for twenty minutes. I stopped for a workout at the gym (just a bit over an hour). I come out, it barely starts, but it does. I make one stop and it died again. I got another jump, but only after trying for a really long time to get a hold of AAA. After trying for 25 minutes, I gave up. Then, I got a second jump. But, as soon as I got in, the lights started flickering, the battery meter headed to L quickly, and the traction control going crazy. I barely make it home. When I got in to the garage, it immediately filled with the smell of burning electronics.

Like I mentioned, my bet is the alternator.

Then, after I warmed up, I called AAA and finally got through. They are taking it to a shop. I hope to get it fixed asap. I'm very grateful I can borrow a car and still get around to where I need to.

I'll update tomorrow.

Last edited by unnoticedtrails; 11/14/14 at 12:17 AM.
Old 11/21/14, 08:55 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Whinnie got a new Motorcraft 500 CCA battery. Turns out my fiasco last Thursday in the cold was due to the battery. Because I chose to by cheaper "aftermarket" batteries is the reason why I had this problem. It was an ordeal to be stuck twice in the zero degree temperatures, but I am so thankful my parents could help come and give me a jump (or two). The volt meter would just spike and fall so quickly (with lights flickering and radio going on and off) on my last drive before it got towed due to a bad cell in the battery. That is why it reads similar to an alternator issue. This is my third battery in eight years.

I hope this helps someone sometime in the future.
Old 11/21/14, 09:13 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
It'll definitely help me here in So Florida, we plunged down into the 50's this week
Old 11/22/14, 11:06 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by 05YellowGT
It'll definitely help me here in So Florida, we plunged down into the 50's this week
Lol yea!
Old 11/30/14, 10:04 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by unnoticedtrails
Whinnie got a new Motorcraft 500 CCA battery. Turns out my fiasco last Thursday in the cold was due to the battery. Because I chose to by cheaper "aftermarket" batteries is the reason why I had this problem. It was an ordeal to be stuck twice in the zero degree temperatures, but I am so thankful my parents could help come and give me a jump (or two). The volt meter would just spike and fall so quickly (with lights flickering and radio going on and off) on my last drive before it got towed due to a bad cell in the battery. That is why it reads similar to an alternator issue. This is my third battery in eight years.

I hope this helps someone sometime in the future.

Do you have the factory alarm system?

I'm on my FOURTH battery in nine years. From what I hear the 'Stang is pretty rough on batteries.
Old 12/1/14, 07:39 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Be aware that frequently when the battery dies, the alternator isn't far behind. It may not be today, it may not be next week, but it will happen. The alternator is high strung in these cars due to the demands made of it, and a dead battery will invariably overheat and kill the diodes in it.

Keep an eye on it.
Old 12/1/14, 11:37 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by houtex
Be aware that frequently when the battery dies, the alternator isn't far behind. It may not be today, it may not be next week, but it will happen. The alternator is high strung in these cars due to the demands made of it, and a dead battery will invariably overheat and kill the diodes in it.

Keep an eye on it.
Thanks! Yeah, I figured as much. The battery has been an issue so much on my car. I really don't know if it's my specific car or common for V6s of my gen.
Old 12/2/14, 09:03 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
My battery has crapped out three times and (saying this very very quietly so that the Pony can't hear me) the alternator is fine.

The factory alarm tends to just kill these things in no time. At the time, Ford blamed the "high level of technology built into these cars" as the culprit.

Funny since by current standards the electronic gizmos are quite crude now.
Old 12/3/14, 12:06 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by mrkabc
My battery has crapped out three times and (saying this very very quietly so that the Pony can't hear me) the alternator is fine.

The factory alarm tends to just kill these things in no time. At the time, Ford blamed the "high level of technology built into these cars" as the culprit.

Funny since by current standards the electronic gizmos are quite crude now.
Totally. I don't like a ton of technology in my car.
Old 2/22/15, 09:45 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Here we go AGAIN! So, as most people know, the cold weather hit Colorado (along with most of the country). I was stuck in my house from Friday night until today). My Mustang sat in the cold covered in at least 17 inches of snow. I cleaned it off then ran errands. I noticed my heater was not working. Then, as the sun went down, I noticed the headlights flickering, the radio turned off, then the Traction Control light stuck on, and ABS fault light stayed on. Next as I made my way to my parents' house, the gauges went black along with the headlights. The only thing that was working were the brakes and engine.

I called AAA and they are taking it to the same shop that replaced the battery in November. Will update once I know more.
Old 2/23/15, 06:43 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by unnoticedtrails
Here we go AGAIN! So, as most people know, the cold weather hit Colorado (along with most of the country). I was stuck in my house from Friday night until today). My Mustang sat in the cold covered in at least 17 inches of snow. I cleaned it off then ran errands. I noticed my heater was not working. Then, as the sun went down, I noticed the headlights flickering, the radio turned off, then the Traction Control light stuck on, and ABS fault light stayed on. Next as I made my way to my parents' house, the gauges went black along with the headlights. The only thing that was working were the brakes and engine.

I called AAA and they are taking it to the same shop that replaced the battery in November. Will update once I know more.
The shop said this morning when I called that they couldn't look at it until this afternoon and then when I called at 5 PM, they said that the guys who started to look at it left for the day. They told me it will be first thing tomorrow they will be back on it. UGH
Old 2/24/15, 08:52 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Looks like it is my alternator and thermostat housing. Expensive! But necessary repairs.
Old 2/24/15, 09:28 AM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
I have a 2006 V6 Pony. Found out it is not the battery it is the stereo. If you have a Shaker system the CD will start to Cycle. I now leave out the Cd's and the problem goes away. Others here have just installed a new Stereo. I went through several batteries before I found this out.
Old 2/24/15, 11:27 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Jazzman442
I have a 2006 V6 Pony. Found out it is not the battery it is the stereo. If you have a Shaker system the CD will start to Cycle. I now leave out the Cd's and the problem goes away. Others here have just installed a new Stereo. I went through several batteries before I found this out.
I did have the Shaker 500...but I now have an aftermarket Alpine. The shop confirmed it was the alternator. It was failing. It could only put out 12 amps versus the 14 needed. And, the thermostat housing had a massive crack in it. Being plastic and the extreme cold here in CO with my car having no garage, it makes sense. The tech said he tried filling it up but it just poured straight out of the car.
Old 2/24/15, 06:56 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Turns out to be true. The cold temps here probably didn't help matters. The alternator was also only putting out 12 volts versus the 14 it needs to. Lots of money later, I have Whinnie back.