Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Manual transmission fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 5/17/24, 08:12 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Well how about that! I wonder if the synth blend part allows them to formulate it so the synchros mesh better. My issue with the Mobil 1 ATF (which is Mercon-V) is that it was too slippery and the synchros had a hard time. Just never felt right and sounded loud from the rattling. The Redline High Temp quieted things down and made it shift better.
The following users liked this post:
m05fastbackGT (5/17/24)
Old 5/17/24, 08:21 AM
Administrator, Shop Manual PDF Poster, Parts Locator & Spam Bot Eliminator!!

Received 2,861 Likes on 2,112 Posts
I Love the Old Threads That Still Help & Evolve Solutions Many Years Down the Road!

Btw, Upgraded Your Title.

Love to have You Go to Reintroductions if So Inclined! I Know it's Been a Couple Of Years Since Your Last Post!

https://themustangsource.com/forums/...embers-550106/

KC
The following 2 users liked this post by 05stangkc:
m05fastbackGT (5/17/24), metroplex (5/17/24)
Old 5/17/24, 09:53 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,528 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Originally Posted by metroplex
.... I remember Tremec telling me they certified the 3650 on Halvoline non-synthetic Mercon ATF. ......
interesting .... if I remember correctly, when I called Tremec about this, they told me they used Mobil 1 ATF and that was their recommended "safe bet" fluid

I have tried a few different fluids in my TR-3650 and I could hardly tell the difference
Old 5/17/24, 10:37 AM

I Would Surmise Results Would Vary Greatly For Folks in Very Cold vs Very Hot and Those In The Middle Would See Less Difference! Other Factors Are Hearing itself as a Younger Driver Would Likely Have More Sensitive Hearing.

The Shifter Used Also Can Add To Noise Factor. I Tried a Ford Racing Shifter on My Gt-500 Which Eliminated The Rubber Insulators and It Bothered Me & It Came Off! Had a Funky Rattle.

On A Side Note The Nut Cracker Top Loader I Had in my 68 Gt/Cs I Just took in Stride. It Kept Going So Let it Sing! What a Difference 40+ Years Can Make! That Monster Took GEAR OIL!

KC
Old 5/17/24, 12:14 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,138 Likes on 1,719 Posts
Originally Posted by metroplex
Do NOT use Mercon-V. Mercon-V is a bit thinner and the friction modifiers make it too slippery. You'll run into issues with the 3650 not feeling right.

I used Redline High Temp ATF because it was the thickest Mercon ATF I could find. I no longer have this Mustang, but I remember Tremec telling me they certified the 3650 on Halvoline non-synthetic Mercon ATF. So when I tried Mobil 1 ATF and other Mercon ATF's that also met Mercon-V, the 3650 never felt right. With Redline High Temp ATF which is a thick Mercon synthetic, it felt perfect.

I also recommend the MGW shifter. I should have gotten it day one for my 07 GT in 2006.
Hey there, Charlie! Glad to know that you're still around, as I was wondering why you haven't been on here during the last couple of years... Meanwhile, thank you for providing very valuable info on the pros vs cons of making the switch from Mercon ATF to Mercon-V ATF... Like yourself, I also much prefer running a thicker grade Mercon ATF fluid as well... Therefore, for my next fluid change, I'll follow your lead by trying out the Redline high temp ATF on my 2006 GT's Tremec 3650...

In the meantime, we always value your technical feedback along with sharing your personal experiences as both a Mustang enthusiast and as a Mustang owner, so don't be a stranger and let us know how your doing from time to time...LOL

-Rocky

Originally Posted by 05stangkc
Thanks For Coming In And Giving Your Real World Experience on the Fluid!

It is Appreciated!

Ford Now Offers a Synthetic Blend Mercon 5 For High Temperature Apps and Says it Works For The 3650. This is New To Me and Was Released After I Left The Ford Dealers. Here as an FYI!

https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubrican...tdetails?id=95

KC
Very much appreciated, indeed!
Old 5/17/24, 06:24 PM
V6 Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
So it'seither Synthetic Mercon V https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubrican...tdetails?id=95
Or Red Line High Temp ATF -
Amazon Amazon
Now I just got this online from Ford. Are we sure that Mercon V Syn link isn't for older TR3650's? It shows it for 2001/02. Normal Mercon V for newer TR3650's. https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubrican...=XT-5-QMC&id=2
Redline recommends D4 for my year TR3650. - Vis @ 40°C, cSt 35.4 - Viscosity Index 188
High Temp - Vis @ 40°C, cSt 48.3 - Viscosity Index 220
Mercon V - Vis @ 40°C 33.2 - Viscosity Index 205 (not that any of the above makes any difference)

Last edited by rocknrod; 5/17/24 at 09:03 PM.
Old 5/17/24, 10:47 PM

I Would Just Call it an Upgrade in Regards To The Blend Just Like The Blend Oil is Considered Better Than a Conventional Oil. I would Say The Blend is Used More in Export Vehicles in High Heat Area's. They Won't Show Those Apps in Our US Catalogs.

Ford Will Use Whatever Gives The Best Mileage and is Cost Effective For The Vehicle. Hence The Crazy Oil Viscosity Where Back in My Day We Ran a 20-50W In Our Performance Vehicles And These Days a 5-20W as An Example. Or The Crazy to Me 0-20 Stuff! All About CAFE Corporate Average Fuel Economy. A Small Change Over a Lot of Vehicles Adds Up! Or a Cheaper Fluid Cost! Bean Counters Are a Very Real Thing!

I Had No Personal Dealings With The Blend & Just Present it Cause I Found it. Metro Has Had Good Personal Experience With The Redline so Consider That!
  • Motorcraft Synthetic Blend MERCON® V Automatic Transmission and Power Steering Fluid is formulated with high-viscosity index, premium-quality, synthetic/hydroprocessed base oils and specially designed performance additives. It is specifically formulated to provide improved shifting characteristics at high and low ambient temperatures, excellent thermal and oxidation resistance, and good low temperature fluidity. It provides wear protection and inhibits the formation of gum, sludge, lacquer, and foam. It also provides protection against rust and corrosion
  • It is especially effective in applications where high temperatures are a concern. Due to its excellent thermal, oxidative, and shear stability, this fluid is required in manual transmission applications such as Mustang with G1 manual transmissions and F/E series with TR 3650 and ZF S5-47 manual transmissions
Just My FYI, I Will Tell You This, Ford Would Swear You Had To Run a Certain Fluid For Years and Not To Mix and Then Poof One Day It's Okay This Oil/Fluid is Now Replaced By The Oil/Fluid We Were Told Never To Interchange. Got To The Point The Printed Catalogs were So Unreliable because They Were Out of Date By The Time They Were Printed We Would Always Go Online To See The Latest & Greatest! It Was a Constant Headache To Try & Give The Customer The Correct Fluid!

KC
Old 5/17/24, 11:08 PM
V6 Member

Your right. I just got this upgraded chart from Motorcraft tonight.

Old 5/17/24, 11:11 PM
V6 Member

XT-5-QMC is Mercon V but not Syn. I'll go with it for a while until I try Redline someday I guess.
Old 5/18/24, 10:55 AM

OIL'S WELL that Ends WELL!

KC
Old 5/30/24, 11:38 PM
V6 Member

I asked Redline earlier and recieved this info:
Both our High temp and D4 ATF can used when Mercon and Mercon V are recommended. The viscosity difference between the D4 and the Mercon V is the same. Both have a viscosity of 7.5 CST at 100C or operating Temperature. The High Temp ATF would have a slightly higher viscosity than both the D4 and Mercon V with a 10 cst at operating temperature.
The High temp is going maintaining a thicker viscosity at higher temps than traditional ATF’S, and is used in heavily loaded vehicles or racing applications.
Our product application guide suggests using the D4 ATF product for your vehicle.
I would not see a reason to go with the high temp unless you are seeing an increase in temperature with your transmission.

I wonder what the change intervals be with Redline? I've read where techs suggest a shorter interval due to internal dirt when not using Mercon V, Like Sychromesh, but I never read it on Redline.

Last edited by rocknrod; 5/30/24 at 11:45 PM.
Old 6/1/24, 12:13 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,138 Likes on 1,719 Posts
Appreciate the follow up and update...Thank you!
The following users liked this post:
rocknrod (6/1/24)