Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

looking for help

Search this Thread

Old 8/15/21, 10:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
looking for help

hello new poster here,
I bought a 08 gt a month ago, it has a issue that i cant figure out.
when warm/hot it cranks for about 25 to 30 sec. before it catches and hen it does it seems like it ran out of gas..
it starts just fine when cold.. only other issue is a very slight hesitation when you jump on it.. other than that no other issues or mil. lights.
so far ive replace in this order,, crank sensor, fuel filter , fuel pump , fuel pump modual , evap purge valve, and cylinder head temp sensor
it does start a slight bit faster if the key is cycled 3 to 4 times...
just getting this car i dont know much about upgrades that had been done to it other than a bbk cold air intake.
im unsure of any tunes that might be installed, but have a feeling that it isnt stock,, if that makes sense...
im out of ideas and would like to hear some ideas from other owners...
Old 8/16/21, 09:21 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 669 Likes on 542 Posts
Howdy. Welcome to the forums! Again, since I said that in the other thread..

Yeah, you want to check out that tune. You'll probably want to take it to a mechanic if you're not in a position to do the work yourself to figure it out. Make sure that mechanic knows Mustangs/Fords in general. You might also want to maybe put the car back to stock (which, yes, does mean finding a stock intake and resetting the tune to factory) rather than chase the problems someone else made for you. I'm sure you can find a stock intake in a salvage yard or eBat, and take it to the dealership or reputable Ford mechanic and pay the man/woman to flash it back to stock. Once you get it happy, you can then correctly mod the thing if that's your jam. Otherwise, you may be doing more of what you're doing anyway... shotgunning money and parts at the car without it really helping you figure itself out.

At the very least, though, a scan tool that reports data is going to be needed to figure this out. Hence, perhaps, reputable Mustang/Ford mechanic at the least if you don't have that stuff.

I'm sure I'm wrong or someone's already been through it, but like you said, you may or may not have other mods to the car, so it's not as likely person A's car is going to happen to have been fixed in a way that yours can be. You might also want to discuss the car's situation with the previous owner/modder, if possible, so as to maybe get pointed the right direction.

Other issues could be an intake problem (smoke test will figure that out) and an intermittent wiring issue.

Not exactly the answers you want, I'll grant, but that's what I got. I do hope it helps. I hope someone else jumps in and saves the day too. Good luck!
Old 8/16/21, 10:37 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,528 Likes on 1,046 Posts
try turning the key on and waiting about 20-30 seconds or so before cranking -- to give the fuel pump time to build pressure . . . it that makes a difference it probably means something but I'm not sure what, LOL

It is important to know what modifications you have, and the related tune modifications that have been made . . . but very difficult to find out in your situation . . . "Lito" might be able to check the tune by using a datalog, let me know if you want his contact info
Old 8/16/21, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Bert
try turning the key on and waiting about 20-30 seconds or so before cranking -- to give the fuel pump time to build pressure . . . it that makes a difference it probably means something but I'm not sure what, LOL

It is important to know what modifications you have, and the related tune modifications that have been made . . . but very difficult to find out in your situation . . . "Lito" might be able to check the tune by using a datalog, let me know if you want his contact info
Yes please that info would be great...
It's difficult to figure this thing out everything seems to be normal on the scanner....
Old 8/16/21, 11:14 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Inkfreak1976
Yes please that info would be great.......
sent by PM (Private Message) -- it has been posted before but I am not sure of proper etiquette
Old 8/16/21, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by houtex
Howdy. Welcome to the forums! Again, since I said that in the other thread..

Yeah, you want to check out that tune. You'll probably want to take it to a mechanic if you're not in a position to do the work yourself to figure it out. Make sure that mechanic knows Mustangs/Fords in general. You might also want to maybe put the car back to stock (which, yes, does mean finding a stock intake and resetting the tune to factory) rather than chase the problems someone else made for you. I'm sure you can find a stock intake in a salvage yard or eBat, and take it to the dealership or reputable Ford mechanic and pay the man/woman to flash it back to stock. Once you get it happy, you can then correctly mod the thing if that's your jam. Otherwise, you may be doing more of what you're doing anyway... shotgunning money and parts at the car without it really helping you figure itself out.

At the very least, though, a scan tool that reports data is going to be needed to figure this out. Hence, perhaps, reputable Mustang/Ford mechanic at the least if you don't have that stuff.

I'm sure I'm wrong or someone's already been through it, but like you said, you may or may not have other mods to the car, so it's not as likely person A's car is going to happen to have been fixed in a way that yours can be. You might also want to discuss the car's situation with the previous owner/modder, if possible, so as to maybe get pointed the right direction.

Other issues could be an intake problem (smoke test will figure that out) and an intermittent wiring issue.

Not exactly the answers you want, I'll grant, but that's what I got. I do hope it helps. I hope someone else jumps in and saves the day too. Good luck!
I understand what your saying..I've got just enough knowlage to get my self in trouble with these newer cars like this...
I built my 84 from the ground up, it starts on a dime even after months of it not running..
But back to the question at hand...
Do you feel that the tune could be the issue.. maybe something in the start series...
My plan was to pull the oil seloniods for the phasers and clean or replace..like ya said I don't know a thing about the car... I bought it from a bigger dealership so I don't know I they could get me info or not...
Just trying to get ideas so I don't end up rebuilding the **** moter and having the same issue...
A tuner is on my need to get one list..
I have a scanner a decent one at that.. and the only issue I could find was a 30 deg difference in the temp sensor to head ...
I have good gas mileage Wich is weird for the issue...
Only a slight hesitation when jumping on it...
Other than that the car runs drives awsome ..
Just gotta cycle the key when warm...
Old 8/17/21, 09:27 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 669 Likes on 542 Posts
Yes, the tune could be the issue. Cold air intakes are by and large going to require a tune to properly compensate for the change in how the air goes in the car. If the tune is wrong for that intake, then the car will be unhappy.

Do NOT pull the solenoids or anything else. Unnecessary to do that until you really know what's wrong. Again, you're taking the shotgun approach and it's just not the right way to go. However, you do you, I can't and won't stop you, just sayin', y'know?

The car will *generally* tell you exactly what's wrong if you have the proper tools. This isn't like a carb '84. This is a sophisticated system and they almost can tell you exactly what's wrong with itself if you have the tools and knowhow. You can't do the spark plug reads or such like that on these things. They're set up to do the job exactly 'so' from the factory, and messing with it like may have been done is an art unto itself. Which is why I'd suggest taking all the mods back off and getting it back to square one so you can ensure you're not harming the motor and/or having to rebuild the thing.

Which reminds me of the other thread regarding why we tend to want unmolested used cars. Here's an excellent example of why you'd shy away from a modded one.

Good dang luck! Stick with it, you'll get it figured.
Old 8/17/21, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by houtex
Yes, the tune could be the issue. Cold air intakes are by and large going to require a tune to properly compensate for the change in how the air goes in the car. If the tune is wrong for that intake, then the car will be unhappy.

Do NOT pull the solenoids or anything else. Unnecessary to do that until you really know what's wrong. Again, you're taking the shotgun approach and it's just not the right way to go. However, you do you, I can't and won't stop you, just sayin', y'know?

The car will *generally* tell you exactly what's wrong if you have the proper tools. This isn't like a carb '84. This is a sophisticated system and they almost can tell you exactly what's wrong with itself if you have the tools and knowhow. You can't do the spark plug reads or such like that on these things. They're set up to do the job exactly 'so' from the factory, and messing with it like may have been done is an art unto itself. Which is why I'd suggest taking all the mods back off and getting it back to square one so you can ensure you're not harming the motor and/or having to rebuild the thing.

Which reminds me of the other thread regarding why we tend to want unmolested used cars. Here's an excellent example of why you'd shy away from a modded one.

Good dang luck! Stick with it, you'll get it figured.
I'm gonna call a tuner in the city here.. and see what he would charge to take a look at the car and see if there's a tune...in it...
and to see if he can go in and change the warm start perimeters..
I'm sure it has a tune.. the car does some interesting things at certain speeds...
For instance... If I'm hammering it and I go past 90 mph around 95 mph it kicks in like I hit a nitrous button...
Same thing with like 2nd to 3rd gear is pretty wicked..if at Wide open throttle...
Like I had said I'm gonna see if the guy can do such things

Old 8/17/21, 10:13 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Inkfreak1976
I'm gonna call a tuner in the city here.. and see what he would charge to take a look at the car and see if there's a tune...in it...
I am not sure if a typical tuner guy can do that, but I know a Ford dealer can do it -- they can tell if the ECU has been "flashed" (meaning, reprogrammed by downloading a tune) but they cannot tell what changes were made

I had this problem when I bought my car -- I had a suspicion that it had been tuned, but the used car dealer I bought it from played dumb (pretended not to know what I was talking about) so I took it to a different Ford dealer; they charged me about $100 to read the ECU, and they found that it had been tuned (but could not tell me what changes were made in the tune). So then I had them download a new factory tune to my car (for about another $100) and then I started over with a new tune for my modifications (which were not much at the time). Be aware, if you do this, if you have mods that REQUIRE a tune for the car to run right, it will not run right until you reload a tune for those mods.