Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Horn Button issue

Search this Thread

Old 12/7/05, 07:39 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by adrenalin@December 6, 2005, 12:49 PM
have FORD replace it. It should be covered under the bumper to bumper warranty

Did they replace yours?
Old 12/7/05, 11:07 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I told them about it but didn't show them since my car is in storage. They said no problem and to bring the car in once I put her back on the road and they would replace it. Same with the headunit since the lights no longer work on it.
Old 12/7/05, 11:33 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by adrenalin@December 7, 2005, 1:10 PM
I told them about it but didn't show them since my car is in storage. They said no problem and to bring the car in once I put her back on the road and they would replace it. Same with the headunit since the lights no longer work on it.

Hey that's great John. Glad it was no hassle.
Old 12/8/05, 02:01 PM
Banned

Mine looks like that too. Like it is Pealing or something under the clear coat. Very strange.
Old 1/12/06, 06:32 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just noticed today my center is starting to pit. Looks kind of like little cracks underneath.

I've had my car for about two months -- Nice
Old 1/12/06, 09:21 PM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

It gets worse.
My horse is turning white.
Old 8/2/06, 02:27 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Update -- as I indicated in an earlier post in October 2005, the selling dealership replaced my horn button. I don't think they replaced the entire steering wheel because it still has the marks on the metal on the actual steering wheel that were there when they replaced the horn button.

Now today it is August 2, 2006 and guess what is back -- those darn spots again! Of course, now the car is out of the first 2 year warranty that came with the car. And the car is flipping over 50,000 miles today, so even though I have the extended warranty plan, a) I will still have to pay a deductible, and b) they probably aren't going to cover this since it is "cosmetic". I have to contact the selling dealer and see if there is anything they can do. Anyone know ho to start a poll on this?
Old 8/2/06, 03:47 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Mtang78
Update -- as I indicated in an earlier post in October 2005, the selling dealership replaced my horn button. I don't think they replaced the entire steering wheel because it still has the marks on the metal on the actual steering wheel that were there when they replaced the horn button.

Now today it is August 2, 2006 and guess what is back -- those darn spots again! Of course, now the car is out of the first 2 year warranty that came with the car. And the car is flipping over 50,000 miles today, so even though I have the extended warranty plan, a) I will still have to pay a deductible, and b) they probably aren't going to cover this since it is "cosmetic". I have to contact the selling dealer and see if there is anything they can do. Anyone know ho to start a poll on this?
Mine has started doing this too. You think they would figure little **** like this out after2-1/2 years.
Old 8/3/06, 01:32 AM
Legacy TMS Member

My car came with a small and I mean really small dent on one of the iup steering wheel spokes. As soon as I noticed it I went to the dealer and they replaced the entire steering wheel with no hassle.
Old 8/3/06, 01:40 PM
Bullitt Member

I have started a poll on this and hopefully, we will see a pattern develop. So please VOTE!

I purchased my car in October 2004, and in the summer of 2005, the horn button issue first arose. The dealership replaced the horn button in October 2005, and the horn button has been fine up until a couple of weeks ago. We have made sure not to spray anything on the horn button, no moisture, etc. Now what strikes me as interesting is that last summer it developed this same problem, and I am noticing that with the really hot temps, the horn button is getting worse every day. I live near St. Louis now, but lived near Bloomington, Illinois last summer. Out of curiousity, I would like to know who is having this horn button issue and where you are located at -- is it hot there as well??
Old 8/3/06, 04:44 PM
Bullitt Member

I have had this problem for a while with my 05. It started with just a few spots but has gotten much worse in the past 3 months. Glad I came across this post and glad i am not the only one. Next trip to the dealer and ill let them know.
Old 8/4/06, 01:51 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine is still pitted... I haven't taken it in.

Seems like Ford would have a fix by now... a different type of coating to keep this from happening.

Ahhh.... to own a Ford... joy
Old 8/4/06, 07:40 AM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

Mine looks like Michael Jackson- All Spotted and stuff. Been like that for most of the time I have had it.
Old 8/8/06, 10:59 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts
I have the same problem, only had my car for 5 months. It almost looks like there was some moisture that was trapped inside the emblem that froze by the look of the pattern.
Attachment 6754
Attached Images  
Old 8/9/06, 09:49 AM
Bullitt Member

well yesturday i looked at my pony just randomly and saw it is pitted as well.. *sigh i remembered this post and decided to inform that the problem is still occurring...
Old 8/9/06, 09:54 AM
Bullitt Member

Due to all of the posts regarding the horn button issue, I created a Horn Button Poll thread. Please go that thread and vote on whether or not you have a problem with your horn button and if any of the conditions apply. PS - Moderators - if you know of a way to incorporate my poll into this thread, please feel free to move it here. Unfortunately, I just don't know how to do it. Thanks everyone! Hopefully, Ford will see that this is a problem. If for example there is moisture under that seal/cover, then I think that the moisture would eventually cause an electrical short with the wiring, horn, air bag, etc., therefore qualifying it is an urgent issue that needs addressed.
Old 8/9/06, 10:08 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts
Just got my new emblem today, I'll start the clock and see how long it takes to start pitting again
Old 8/9/06, 11:36 AM
TDS
Super Moderator
TMS Staff

My '06 GT with 10,110 miles on it has this same problem, has been this way since approx. 5000. However at times it does not look as bad.
Could it be moisture? trapped under the clear circle cover?
I do not armorall the button or the wheel. also I do not eat, drink or smoke in this car or any other car.

TDS
Old 8/9/06, 07:17 PM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

Originally Posted by TDS
My '06 GT with 10,110 miles on it has this same problem, has been this way since approx. 5000. However at times it does not look as bad.
Could it be moisture? trapped under the clear circle cover?
I do not armorall the button or the wheel. also I do not eat, drink or smoke in this car or any other car.

TDS
Well that ain't it- because I am more comfortable in my car than my house and am guilty of all the above and then some in it. Mine has looked like crap since shortly after I brought it home in 04.
Old 8/15/06, 05:12 AM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

Its on the silver part.
Ralph does not have this problem.
Attached Thumbnails Horn Button issue-eleanor1805-010.jpg  

Quick Reply: Horn Button issue