Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

High Rev Center Console Rattle

Search this Thread

Old 11/1/06, 11:02 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
High Rev Center Console Rattle

At least I think it is coming from the center console. At 4000 to 5000 revs, regardless of gear, I hear a rather annoying rattle. Sounds like something metallic, sometimes it sounds like perhaps a plastic fitting is loose. At first I thought it was the engine knocking but if that was the case, wouldn't it knock at all times in any gear? In neutral sitting in my garage, the sound is there when I rev it up that high. By making that sound when in neutral, would it be fair to say that is rules out something in the transmission? On the street the car sounds just like it should. However, if I feel like gassing it, there it is! What makes it strange it is loud one minute then quieter the next. Has anyone else out there heard this same sound? If so, how did you get rid of it?

Regards,
Jon
Old 11/1/06, 11:11 PM
Cobra R Member

There is a TSB out for this if its the center console. read the sticky bulletin on repairs/tsb's. Hope that helps.
Old 11/3/06, 10:20 PM
Team Mustang Source

Thanks Sodaman! I found the specific TSB. I've also read about people putting their stock air box and tune back into the car before going in for warranty service. Do you recommend that? How about others out there?

Jon
Old 11/3/06, 10:33 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just took my 2006GT in for the TSB center stack rattle.. it has to do with the trans cross-member and reclamping the center exhaust hangers... after the dealer saw my Flowmaster AT (axle-backs), they told me the metallic vibration I was getting at 1400 RPMs was due to the axle-back clamps not being torqued. They re-torqued em at no cost (which I was surprised).. and solved the rattle...but told me if I plan on doing anymore mods, it would be best to return everything to stock before pursuing warranty work... pointing out Ford warranty reps will usually frown on authorizing warranty work (if problem is even remotely tied to your specific mod, that's where the blame will go).
Old 11/4/06, 12:49 PM
Team Mustang Source

Thanks DoctorQ. They said that because your Flowmaster clamps weren't tight, that was what was causing the center stack rattle? How can that be?

Returning everything to stock would be a PITA. Kinda silly don't you think? Sounds like most dealerships will go out of their way to avoid doing warranty work. The burden of proof is on them. Blah blah blah.

Jon
Old 11/4/06, 06:54 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Jon_Purdy
Thanks DoctorQ. They said that because your Flowmaster clamps weren't tight, that was what was causing the center stack rattle? How can that be?

Returning everything to stock would be a PITA. Kinda silly don't you think? Sounds like most dealerships will go out of their way to avoid doing warranty work. The burden of proof is on them. Blah blah blah.

Jon
Yes.. the reason Dealerships don't like warranty work is due to the 'revenue' disparity betweeen warranty vs. repair services. Ford kicks back far less/hr revenue for warranty work; therefore dealers will do whatever possible (as long as they think they have a case) to spend the least amount of time on warranty claim repairs... instead focusing on maximizing their revenue stream (i.e., their 30/60/90 services, which btw, they make a killin' on).
Old 11/4/06, 07:12 PM
Team Mustang Source

That is certainly true DoctorQ. However, I am not one to back down from a fight, plus I have friends in the business that I may have to call on if they (the dealership) get difficult. Don't want to do that by any means but I will if I have to. I'm sure others out there feel the same.

Jon
Old 11/5/06, 11:06 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Jon_Purdy
That is certainly true DoctorQ. However, I am not one to back down from a fight, plus I have friends in the business that I may have to call on if they (the dealership) get difficult. Don't want to do that by any means but I will if I have to. I'm sure others out there feel the same.

Jon

Hear that... I'm just pointing out that spending 45min returning your rig to stock (CAI/tune) before warranty service beats spending hours/days fighting with dealership about your mods and what caused problems.
Old 11/5/06, 12:14 PM
Team Mustang Source

Unfortunately, I don't think I can get away with going back to stock form as the car has been there a couple times for oil changes only. Therefore, they are most likely well aware of what is on the car.

I've got a buddy in Indiana that can help fix whatever needs to be fixed if I'm given a hard time. Don't want to go that route but I will if I have to. Stay tuned......

Jon