Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

HELP false empty fuel gauge

Search this Thread

Old 3/27/07, 04:29 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HELP false empty fuel gauge

So here is the problem. Today my fuel light and gauge read empty and my fuel light came on and I had nearly a full tank. Stayed on til I restarted the engine. Later came on again. Typical intermittant (sp?) issue. Has anyone else had this issue?

As an aside my check engine light came on also. I reloaded the stock tune and it went off. Then I loaded the 91 oct performance tune (bama chips) and the engine light stayed off, though the fuel issue resurfaced.

I would appreciate any constructive advice.
Old 3/27/07, 05:44 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a similar, but opposite issue with my fuel gauge. Mine read 3/4 to full even on fumes. The dealer replaced both fuel level sensor and sender assembly as well as the fuel pump per tsb 06-10-13 and all is well.

I never had a cel with this issue, though.
Old 3/27/07, 06:13 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

i had the same problem, it said i was on empty and i had 0 miles left till empty but i had half a tank, i do not know what happened
Old 3/28/07, 09:44 AM
Cobra Member

Well codes are p0171 p0174 and p0463 All fuel related, so I suspect I need to take it in under the tsb 06-10-13 also. **** shame! Now do I need to take off my jlt cai? I already have stock tune back in place. **** **** ****.
Old 3/28/07, 10:20 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
User better gas! Every time I stray from Chevron for any length of time, the DTE data errors (I have IUP, so I get more info on the error) eventually. Switching back to Chevron for a couple of tanks of gas clears up the problem completely.

When the problem first happened (last year at 16k miles), when I took it in to the dealer, the service manager told me about the TSB, explained the problem was sulfar building up on the sender board in the gas tank, gave me a bottle of Techron to add to my tank and told me to switch to Chevron gas at least every other tank. Using Cheveron gas every other tank worked perfectly for about 10k miles, then I started getting lazy (Chevron is out of my way normally) and started using the convenient Conico gas more and more often.

Sure enough, after a couple of months, the error started coming back. Once I got back on the ball and started using Chevron regularly, it went away and hasn't come back since
The following users liked this post:
OneCoolGT (12/26/22)
Old 3/28/07, 02:29 PM
Cobra Member

I think you're right. That said, you would think that ford would be able to build a car that could run well on arco, bp, shell, mobile..... Hell of a thing to put out a car that only responds well to one brand.
Old 3/28/07, 06:06 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

i heard if you use chevron fuel addative but the complete one, i think it is like $15 but it cleans all the sulfer off the sensor, i hear Seafoam might work too
Old 3/28/07, 06:51 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
I only get the erratic gauge when driving the car very hard. Other than that, no check engine lights. BP gas 99% of the time. (Not because my gas cap says so, lol)
Old 3/28/07, 09:43 PM
Bullitt Member

Eric,

I had a very similar experience recently. Here is what I posted on another forum:

Originally Posted by Post 1
I just replaced my fuel filter and I am now gettng a CEL and the following message after about 35 seconds:

Fuel Level Low
DTE FLI DATA ERR

This happens with the car running or with just turning the key to the "on" position.

No error codes with the Predator
Fuel pressure seems to stay at 38/39 psi

I am going to go out and drive it around to see what happens.

Could I have pinched a return line putting the black plastic "cover" back on the filter area? Would that cause this?

Any ideas what it could be?

Thanks for any help!!!!
This thing is really all over the place. I got it to clear and not re-occur for a while so I took the car for a spin. Drove for 10 minutes without any error messages. Got back in the car and dive for about 3 minutes with no messages. I then decide to get on it and during my first gear flyer the error message pops up. I also finally got a code to read in the Predator:
P0463 Fuel Level Sensor A
Circuit High Input

P1000 OBD Systems Readiness
Test Not Complete.

I was able to clear those and drive again, then the message poped up, again, but this time no codes in the Predator. Then the message goes away but my gauge is still on E. I then notice, as I am driving, that the gauge is slowly moving. It moved from E to just under 1/2 in about 5 minutes, and then stayed there. The car has a full tank as I just filled it yesterday on the way home from work.

Is it safe to drive like this? Is this a sign of something more ominous looming?
__________________________________________________ _________
Originally Posted by Post 3
UPDATE -

I did a lot of searching on the internet and found several references to this error on newer Ford vehicles. Most threads seem to indicate the dealer referred the person to the following:

Ford "Special Service Message" SSM 19098:

MULTIPLE VEHICLES - SULFUR BUILD-UP ON FUEL LEVEL SENSOR - ADD "CHEVRON TECHRON PLUS FUEL SYSTEM CLEANER" TO FUEL AND FILL WITH FRESH FUEL GASOLINE OR DIESEL. VEHICLES MAY EXHIBIT ERRATIC FUEL GAUGE READINGS, ILLUMINATED MIL AND DTC P0463, P2068 AND/OR B1202, B2627 MAY BE PRESENT. THIS CONDITION MAY OCCUR DUE TO SULFUR CONTAMINATION FOUND IN SOME LOCAL FUELS WHICH MAY CAUSE TEMPORARY CONTAMINATION OF THE FUEL SENDER CARD. BEFORE REPLACING ANY COMPONENT, CLEAR DTC'S, DRAIN FUEL TANK (IF FACILITIES PERMIT), ADD TECHRON CONCENTRATE PLUS FUEL SYSTEM CLEANER AND ADVISE CUSTOMER TO USE AN ALTERNATE BRAND OF FUEL. THE CONDITION SHOULD CORRECT ITSELF IN A FEW MILES. ADVISE CUSTOMERS TO UTILIZE THE TRIP ODOMETER TO MONITOR FUEL CONSUMPTION. REPLACEMENT OF COMPONENTS OR PCM REPROGRAMMING MAY NOT FIX THE CONCERN. IF CONDITION PERSISTS PERFORM NORMAL DIAGNOSIS AND REPAIR. OBTAIN THE NEW TECHRON PLUS FUEL ADDITIVE FROM YOUR LOCAL AUTOMOTIVE CHEMICAL SUPPLY SOURCE OR AUTO PARTS STORE. EFFECTIVE DATE: 02/22/06

So, I decided to try the Techron route myself first before taking it to the dreaded dealer. The error message frequency became less and less and by midweek the issue was gone. I have since re-fueled and still no error.

It was just too coincidental for me (changing the fuel filter and getting this error message). The only thing I can surmise is that somehow the priming of the lines after the fuel filter install must have disturbed HAL (reference HAL 9000 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ) At least all is good at this point.
Old 3/29/07, 09:28 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't know anything about the first problem, but sometimes if you turn very hard it can throw the gas gauge off where it reads zero and it takes a while for it to get back to normal. I leave work with a short, slow speed swooping turn(like a yield area to a normal highway)and its slightly banked so you can REALLY hook it right at lower speeds. It will put all the fuel in the left half of the saddle tank and read zero-I mean it drops like a rock. Coming out of the dealer I have driven hundreds(literally) of S-197 Mustangs around that same turn, and it happens every now and then randomly.

My new car hasn't done it once yet though. Seems like its prone to do it if has 1/4-1/2 tank, it never does it when its nearly full. Nor have I seen it do it on a left turn(although on US roads its rare you get such a hook as you do right handers). Its never done it with spirited driving, only on that ONE turn.
Old 3/30/07, 08:59 AM
Mach 1 Member

Take it to the Dealer and get them to replace the fuel sending unit as per the TSB. I did it a few weeks ago and the problem is gone. It is a very easy thing to do, the tank does not have to be removed, so not much chance of the delaer mechanic making a mess of it.
Old 3/30/07, 10:49 AM
Cobra Member

taking it to the dealer in an hour. Service manager is a friend of a friend. Hopefully warrenty will be observed. But if not the tsb says it's only 1.5 hours of labor and what ever parts. Just want my baby on the road and rocking. Hopefully they won't keep it for longer than a day

Thanks for all the help. You guys are one hell of a resource.
Old 3/30/07, 12:10 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by eric n
taking it to the dealer in an hour. Service manager is a friend of a friend. Hopefully warrenty will be observed. But if not the tsb says it's only 1.5 hours of labor and what ever parts. Just want my baby on the road and rocking. Hopefully they won't keep it for longer than a day

Thanks for all the help. You guys are one hell of a resource.
Doesn't take long at all. I dropped my car off at 9am and they called me to pick it up at 11:30.
Old 7/28/13, 09:54 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by kevinb120
I don't know anything about the first problem, but sometimes if you turn very hard it can throw the gas gauge off where it reads zero and it takes a while for it to get back to normal. I leave work with a short, slow speed swooping turn(like a yield area to a normal highway)and its slightly banked so you can REALLY hook it right at lower speeds. It will put all the fuel in the left half of the saddle tank and read zero-I mean it drops like a rock. Coming out of the dealer I have driven hundreds(literally) of S-197 Mustangs around that same turn, and it happens every now and then randomly.

My new car hasn't done it once yet though. Seems like its prone to do it if has 1/4-1/2 tank, it never does it when its nearly full. Nor have I seen it do it on a left turn(although on US roads its rare you get such a hook as you do right handers). Its never done it with spirited driving, only on that ONE turn.
Holy dead thread resurrection....

So I just had this happen again for the first time in forever.... I had remembered Reading about this before so I searched... Numerous threads out there... What caught my eye about this one is This exact same thing just happened to me in a fairly hard Left. Turned the car off and still E. Did a second time still E. All this while rolling down the road.. Not until I stopped at the station did it return to just below half full... So it will happen both directions.
Old 12/23/22, 01:20 PM
The Analog Admin!

Received 2,992 Likes on 2,199 Posts
Yep Back in the Day This Stuff was The Ticket! Why am I Posting in a ancient Topic? Cause Someone is Reading it!

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Chevron-T...6&gclsrc=3p.ds

KC
The following 2 users liked this post by 05stangkc:
m05fastbackGT (12/23/22), shaneyusa (12/30/22)
Old 12/23/22, 02:37 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,173 Likes on 1,750 Posts
Ain't that the truth!