Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Has anyone had problems with the finish on american racing wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 11/24/08, 01:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone had problems with the finish on american racing wheels?

I have a set of 20" AR torq-thrust M wheels with the Black finish and machined lip. The clear coat on the lip is peeling on all four of them, 6 total if you count the two that I warrantied out last year. Now the warranty has run out so I am screwed. I was just wondering if anyone has run into the same problem or if there were any suggestions to remedy the issue? Not even sure if this is the right place to post this. I am still pretty new to the forum world. Thanks.
Old 12/6/08, 08:41 AM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
if you dont drive in salt, I would suggest removing the clearcoat from the lip- I bought a set of grand marquis 'handling package' 16x7 deepdish honeycomb wheels for our 65 galaxie, got them cheep as they looked horrible- same thing, good paint/peeling clear...they *barely* fit in my lathe, but got them on there and skimmed the clearcoat from the flatsurfaces and used a flapwheel/die grinder on the radii to get it all off...several grades of sandpaper down to 600 grit wet(messy) got it looking pretty bright , then polished with cotton buffs on a drill mount arbor...took about a hour per wheel, but they turned out really nice- as long as you dont mind repolishing every so often (nev-r-dull wadding polish a couple times a year works great- figure about 10 minutes a wheel). I coulda cleared them afterwards, but a repolish is so much easier compared to restripping- no thanks
If you dont have access to a lathe, have heard of folks using the car...dismount the tire, stick on a front spindle give it a spin and take the flapwheels to it...but thats scary for a couple reasons, #1 being the huge freakin mess it makes slinging abrasive dust everywhere...paper off the wheelwells, tape the face of the wheel so you dont accidentally hit the paint and might work out ok

Last edited by ford4v429; 12/6/08 at 08:43 AM.
Old 12/6/08, 11:38 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tim,

Funny you should mention doing it that way - there's a company that I used to service called wheel fix it, while I can't divulge how they did it in an automated process, you aren't far off the mark with how you did the resurfacing manually.

Our lathe here is only 9" max chucking capacity, so no wheel work here currently
Old 12/12/08, 09:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Awesome, the car is already up for the winter so now is as good a time as any to fix this. I appreciate the info.
Old 12/28/08, 12:45 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bought a set of 18" Torq Thrust M's in April within 30 days on tire had the exact same problem. Took it back where I bought them a couple of days later I got a new wheel. It's been seven months since then and the new wheel and the other three have been problem free. Not sure if that helps but it's my experience