Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Grinding noise in 2nd

Search this Thread

Old 11/8/11, 02:13 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Grinding noise in 2nd

When I'm rolling really slow in 2nd gear, like when you roll through a stop sign in a parking lot (like 5 mph), and I give it gas there's a grinding noise. I took it to the Dodge dealership where I bought it and the service manager told me it was spark knock. Is this a possibility or is the dealership trying to get out of doing warranty work?
Old 11/8/11, 02:19 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Does it happen everytime in those circumstances? If so get second opinion from another Ford dealer.
Old 11/8/11, 02:26 PM
Banned

Yea only at really low speed. They offered to send it over to ford but I think that the only way to get a real true diagnosis is to pay ford to diagnose it thinking it's a retail job, not a warranty issue.
Old 11/8/11, 02:45 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
What octane fuel are you running? If not premium, try it. Could be a light spark knock detonation at low speed higher gear.
Old 11/8/11, 02:58 PM
Banned

The manual recommends regular 87 so that's what I run.
Old 11/8/11, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by muscledom
The manual recommends regular 87 so that's what I run.
Not a mustang but my truck does the same thing with regular. Have to run the middle grade stuff. Just try a tank of premium. It definitely can't hurt. If it is detonation, this should take care of it. It's more of a clatter noise right?
Old 11/8/11, 03:38 PM
Banned

I'll give it a shot, but I definitely want to get a couple different opinions before my warranty runs out. As far as the noise goes it sounds like more or a grinding to me but I guess it could be described as that.
Old 11/8/11, 04:10 PM
Banned

Out of curiosity I tried to make the same thing happen in 3rd gear and I got the same results. Would that indicate spark knock or a transmission/clutch issue?
Old 11/8/11, 05:01 PM

Out of curiosity I tried to make the same thing happen in 3rd gear and I got the same results. Would that indicate spark knock or a transmission/clutch issue?
Same thing. Low rpm high gear under a load. Pretty sure higher octane should take care of it.
Old 11/8/11, 05:14 PM
Banned

Thanks Al, I'll give it a shot man. It's kinda starting to get through to me haha
Old 11/8/11, 05:21 PM

Thanks Al, I'll give it a shot man. It's kinda starting to get through to me haha
No prob man. If it is the noise that I think it is, it's called detonation or pinging. Not good but at least it's not at high rpm's. Hope it takes care of things. Low octane fuel may be recommended but with the addition of ethanol everywhere, just might not be burning it well enough. It sucks because my work truck forces me to use higher octane and it's like wasting money.
Old 11/8/11, 05:59 PM
Banned

Yea man I hear ya, pissing away money is the pits. Next tank is gonna be 93
Old 11/8/11, 06:02 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
my 06 (100% stock) rarely pings, but likes sunoco gas...cheaper grades get crap mileage and occasional low rpm pinging. funny, if I run sunoco 89, i get 20 mpg, sunoco 87, 18...the occasional off brand gets 16-17(overall driving- highway seems around 24 irregardless)

my wifes chevy loves the cheepest gas you can find...07 avalanche, she gets 18 avg on giant eagles gas, our other cars wont hardly run on it...put better gas or 89, mpg falls to 14...weird how some like crap fuel, some dont...
Old 11/9/11, 07:00 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
When I'm rolling really slow in 2nd gear, like when you roll through a stop sign in a parking lot (like 5 mph), and I give it gas there's a grinding noise. I took it to the Dodge dealership where I bought it and the service manager told me it was spark knock.
Hi muscledom,

If you are still under your Ford warranty, you should not have to pay them for diagnosis unless they determine it’s not a warrantable repair. If your Dodge dealership is willing to send it over for you to make sure it’s covered, do it. They will be in the best position to look into this concern for you and get it repaired. Let me know if you have any questions or need any help.

Deysha
Old 11/9/11, 11:09 AM
Banned

Yea Al was right, it was spark knock haha. Now it grinds going in to 3rd and 4th, only in the morning, and only once each. Happened yesterday morning and I thought maybe I just didn't have the clutch in all the way but it happened this morning too and I know the clutch was to the floor. From what I've been told it's probably the syncros (sp?). Does that sound right?
Old 11/9/11, 11:35 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by FordCustomerService
Hi muscledom,

If you are still under your Ford warranty, you should not have to pay them for diagnosis unless they determine it’s not a warrantable repair. If your Dodge dealership is willing to send it over for you to make sure it’s covered, do it. They will be in the best position to look into this concern for you and get it repaired. Let me know if you have any questions or need any help.

Deysha
Thanks for the info Deysha. I'm at 57k an it's an 08 so I think I'm still covered right?
Old 11/9/11, 02:53 PM

Thanks for the info Deysha. I'm at 57k an it's an 08 so I think I'm still covered right?
Your Powertrain warranty is 5yrs/60K miles. Your dealer will be able to tell you if the repair is covered after they diagnose the problem.

Deysha
Old 11/9/11, 03:02 PM

Yea Al was right, it was spark knock haha. Now it grinds going in to 3rd and 4th, only in the morning, and only once each. Happened yesterday morning and I thought maybe I just didn't have the clutch in all the way but it happened this morning too and I know the clutch was to the floor. From what I've been told it's probably the syncros (sp?). Does that sound right?
Glad I could help man. The trans grind is probably from the fluid issue mentioned many times. It's a temperature thing. Don't let it go too long because a grind is actually doing damage to the blocker ring and syncro.
Old 11/9/11, 04:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by AlsCobra

Glad I could help man. The trans grind is probably from the fluid issue mentioned many times. It's a temperature thing. Don't let it go too long because a grind is actually doing damage to the blocker ring and syncro.
Yea man for sure. Gonna bring it to Ford probably early next week
Old 11/11/11, 12:02 PM

Yea man for sure. Gonna bring it to Ford probably early next week
Cool! Let me know if you need me.

Deysha

Quick Reply: Grinding noise in 2nd