Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Gas overflowing?

Search this Thread

Old 8/11/05 | 09:08 PM
GT Member

The other day I went to fill my gas tank for the first time. I left it in pumping gas expecing it to stop itself like all pumps do...however it didnt and it overflowed all over the side of my car.

Is this a problem with my cars fuel tank, or the stations pump?
Old 8/11/05 | 09:12 PM
Team Mustang Source

Now that's a new one.

I'd chalk it up to coincidence... if it happens again, take it in.
Old 8/11/05 | 09:16 PM
GT Member

That's a first i've heard, but then again i've also heard of this happen and can be a problem with the pump you were using. Give this one atleast one more try at a different gas station and if the problem still persists, take it to the dealers.
Old 8/11/05 | 09:16 PM
Team Mustang Source

I have had the same problem.. I would be filling it up and it just stop.. Knowing its not full i continue an it then continues to fill after a couple of mintues i look down it's fine.. I check the price for 2 seconds and look and i see gas pouring out the side of my car.. Not only was i pissed bout my car that is freakin money that i wasted... This has happened with both my cars? I'm thinking it's the cars tank.. Do they have floaters or ?
The following users liked this post:
Mac28732 (9/1/22)
Old 8/11/05 | 10:03 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Pumps shut off is broken. Bring it to the attention to the gas station.
I got a free pair of shoes because of this once.
Old 8/12/05 | 10:24 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

I always fill at the same gas station. It happened to me on my first two fill-ups. It didn't spill down the side of my car though, just into the gas well (plastic in & around gas cap) and drained through a drain hole in it. Maybe about 1/4 - 1/3 cup of gas?

Hasn't happened since those fill-ups, though.
Old 8/12/05 | 10:06 PM
Team Mustang Source

It does shut off.. But at like 7 gallons. So ? i dunno i'll do that next time though.
Old 8/14/05 | 01:35 AM
GT Member

Alright. Tonight I filled up for the second time at a different gas station. It spat out just a little bit, but the pump did stop it. There also seems now to be a bubble in the paint about the size of a dime. I can depress it and everything..doesnt crack though? Maybe i'm seeing/feeling things.
Old 8/14/05 | 03:46 AM
GT Member

I'm not allowed to pump my own gas in NJ, so I have to depend on the attendants not to top off the tank at all.

When the gas shuts off, it is full to the brim. If they attempt to add anything to round up the number, it overflows.

Actually, when it shuts off, there's gas in area where the lid goes.

A major pain in the hiney. I told an attendant, when he was topping it off, to stop and I got a lecture about he pumps gas all day long and doesn't need another 25 cents from my car. Of course, he was adding the additional gas which was going all over the car. I'm not allowed to protect my paint in NJ and it is a problem.
Old 8/14/05 | 08:07 AM
Legacy TMS Member

happend to me once after they repalced my gastank for the TSB and then never again. Makes me think it was just the gas station.
Old 8/14/05 | 08:28 AM
Bullitt Member

[quote=Fellser,August 14, 2005, 3:49 AM]
I'm not allowed to pump my own gas in NJ, so I have to depend on the attendants not to top off the tank at all.

Not allowed to pump your own gas? Is this state law. I've never been up north but wow I've never heard about you not being allowed to pump gas. Did you ever have the gas tank problem that didnt fill up. Does this increase the price of gas?
Old 8/14/05 | 05:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Mine does it, you can not insist and try to put even an extra cent after it "click" the first time. I was wondering why it was so tight and there was never any room for extra gas, but after I saw the size of the tube that brings the gaz to the tank I now understand why people have so many issuse when refueling.

Have a look inside the fender (driver rear), you will notice a small pipe going down, and yes that how small it is!
Old 8/14/05 | 05:18 PM
I Have No Life

Originally posted by Pitch Black@August 12, 2005, 10:09 PM
It does shut off.. But at like 7 gallons. So ? i dunno i'll do that next time though.
Travis, we are replying to the original post.....

The shut off valve in the pump is broken. I use to work at a gas station. As others have said, you should bring it to the managers attention.
Old 8/15/05 | 07:30 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Fellser@August 14, 2005, 3:49 AM

When the gas shuts off, it is full to the brim. If they attempt to add anything to round up the number, it overflows.

Actually, when it shuts off, there's gas in area where the lid goes.

A major pain in the hiney. I told an attendant, when he was topping it off, to stop and I got a lecture about he pumps gas all day long and doesn't need another 25 cents from my car. Of course, he was adding the additional gas which was going all over the car. I'm not allowed to protect my paint in NJ and it is a problem.
I live in Jersey and I pump my own gas. I just get out of the car, and do it before they even come over.
Old 8/15/05 | 09:12 AM
I Have No Life

I've never heard of not being allowed to pump your own gas. I always go to Full serve places and pump my own gas.
Old 8/15/05 | 09:35 AM
GT Member

None of you have been to Oregon. You CANNOT pump your own gas. It is some thing the State does to create more jobs. They get really mad if you try it.
Old 8/15/05 | 10:48 AM
GT Member

It happens to me all the time. I had the gas tank tsb, and if I fully press on the fuel nozzle I get a spill. I usually squeeze the nozzle handle halway when the gas tank is almost full and I'm OK.
Old 8/15/05 | 12:48 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally posted by WB05stang@August 15, 2005, 9:38 AM
None of you have been to Oregon. You CANNOT pump your own gas. It is some thing the State does to create more jobs. They get really mad if you try it.
Jeez...and how much per gallon is your gas then?? Gotta pay for that attendant somehow...
Old 9/1/22 | 07:34 AM

Same issue

I am having the same issue. Sometimes its a little sometime its more than a cup full. It has happened at several gas stations
Old 9/1/22 | 07:45 AM
The Analog Admin!

Originally Posted by Mac28732
I am having the same issue. Sometimes its a little sometime its more than a cup full. It has happened at several gas stations
Next time Try Filling your Gas as I Described for the No fill Issue. Let us Know if it helps!

Post 3

https://themustangsource.com/forums/...s-tank-549366/

KC

Quick Reply: Gas overflowing?