Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Fuel Gauge going dead?

Search this Thread

Old 8/18/05, 09:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Every once in a while the fuel gauge will go red, drop to E and display an error message in the digital display that says DTE *** Error or something... Eventually it goes away but it's pretty annoying.

Is there a quick fix for this or does it need to go to service?

Also anyone else having a problem with the door handles sticking out a little bit all the time (like a loose retract spring or somethign)?

TIA
Old 8/18/05, 09:34 AM
Mach 1 Member

Have you checked to see that all your fuses are pushed in all the way? This was reported early in the production run cars here onTMS forums. Pop the top of the box off and gently push each one with your fingers. Mine were not all the way in when I got mine. It might cause intermittant problems like that. Good luck
Old 1/11/07, 09:22 AM
V6 Member

I've had my 06 GT in for service at least 5 times for this! Since I can't get it to repeat for them on command, they haven't a clue. The computer doesn't spit a code when it happens... Drives me crazy!
Joe
Old 1/11/07, 09:27 AM

I too have noticed on my '06 that when I take hard right turns, the fuel reading goes alittle of, but nothing to that effect. Usually when I refill the next tank, the gauge reads correctly.
Old 1/11/07, 10:47 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check this, see if it matches your problem.

http://bradbarnett.net/mustangs/gala...sb06_10_13.pdf
Old 1/11/07, 03:44 PM
Team Mustang Source

Well my issue was a little different as my gauge would always read full, but I took my car to the dealer with tsb 6-10-13 and they replaced my fuel pump and sender units. So far that seemed to fix the fuel gauge.
Old 1/16/07, 07:33 PM
Cobra Member

today i had the same problem. same error as posted

Originally Posted by 05BlackGT
Well my issue was a little different as my gauge would always read full, but I took my car to the dealer with tsb 6-10-13 and they replaced my fuel pump and sender units. So far that seemed to fix the fuel gauge.
here. still my gauge is saying i have more gas miles until empty then really is. my car is tuned so is it safe to take back to the dealer to fix this problem w/ fuel gauge? will they notice my car has been tuned and maybe they will say its possibly because of this ?
Old 1/16/07, 08:16 PM
Team Mustang Source

I had this exact problem. In my case it was Sulphur contamination. My dealer instructed to try a bottle of Chevron 'Techron' Fuel additive .. If that didn't help thy would perform the repair. To my surprise after 1 bottle
of this additive (Picked it up at Pep Boys) the fuel gauge was back to normal.
Old 1/16/07, 11:06 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by elvism
here. still my gauge is saying i have more gas miles until empty then really is. my car is tuned so is it safe to take back to the dealer to fix this problem w/ fuel gauge? will they notice my car has been tuned and maybe they will say its possibly because of this ?
It really depends on the dealership, but I just printed out the tsb and took my car in as is. They ordered the parts and asked me to bring it back as close to empty as I could. Yhe repair was done per the tsb, no questions asked. If you're worried, it only takes 10 mins to swap your stock intake and tune and then take it in.
Old 1/16/07, 11:08 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by 05SatinGT
I had this exact problem. In my case it was Sulphur contamination. My dealer instructed to try a bottle of Chevron 'Techron' Fuel additive .. If that didn't help thy would perform the repair. To my surprise after 1 bottle
I wish that would have worked for me, but I gave up after five bottles.
Old 1/17/07, 05:43 AM
Cobra Member

john will this affect the tune in anyway by

added this additive. meaning that my car is running on a 93 octane tune. thanks, mike
Old 1/17/07, 10:28 AM
Cobra Member

I had the same problem with my '05, intermittent issue. Dealer replaced my fuel sender at the same time the gas tank was done, haven't had any problems since.
Old 1/17/07, 10:42 AM
Team Mustang Source

anyone know if that fuel additive is safe with a JLT intake and 93 octane tune?
Old 1/17/07, 10:58 AM
Cobra Member

i had my tank replace about 5 months ago but

Originally Posted by frdtch05gt
I had the same problem with my '05, intermittent issue. Dealer replaced my fuel sender at the same time the gas tank was done, haven't had any problems since.
now im having problem
Old 1/17/07, 03:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by albireo
I've had my 06 GT in for service at least 5 times for this! Since I can't get it to repeat for them on command, they haven't a clue. The computer doesn't spit a code when it happens... Drives me crazy!
Joe
Try removing the FRD04 AUX Adaptor and see if the problem doesn't go away. That's what was causing my error message.
Old 1/17/07, 08:53 PM
Cobra Member

john, thanks for advice. i bought the additive

. so far so go. ill let u guys know if problem comes back.
Old 1/17/07, 10:13 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had the same problem with my 05 at the 16k mark. The service manager gave a bottle of the Chevron Techron additive and suggested that I fill up with Chevron gas at least every other fill up. If that did not do the trick, then he would order a new fuel sender board and replace it.

Sure enough, after about 2 months, the problem was totally gone and has not come back. I do make a point to fill up with Chevron gas at least once per month to make sure the sulfar does not have a chance to build back up and start causing problem.
Old 5/2/08, 11:19 AM
V6 Member

I had the same problem using the FRD04-AUX. I went through all the crap of having the battery die, getting the replacement chip, and it worked fine for a few months. Then I started getting the fuel gauge error every couple of days. I removed the adapter and I haven't seen the error since. I tried posting on P.I.E.'s forum asking about it but they deleted my message without replying.

I think this all boils down to the FRD04-AUX being junk, and P.I.E. not knowing what they are doing. I won't be using (or recommending) any of their products for the rest of my life, but I think that's about all I can do about it. It's a shame that people can put out a product like this that so significantly compromises the reliability of a newer vehicle... first it was the dead battery, then the fuel gauge error... these guys have no business doing what they do and it needs to stop.
Old 5/23/08, 08:39 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by f1-cobra
Try removing the FRD04 AUX Adaptor and see if the problem doesn't go away. That's what was causing my error message.
Well this problem just happened to me, fuel gauge is red! I will try to the additive trick but what is the adapter you speak of and where is the fuel sensor located (in gas tank)?
Thx
Old 6/5/08, 01:24 PM
Bullitt Member

same problem here, started last week. I'll get the addtive and try that first. Im out of warranty so we will see. Fricken empty gas gauge, the code says high circut voltage[ open circut= empty fuel ]