Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Fuel Gauge Goes To Empty

Search this Thread

Old 12/16/05, 10:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I turn sharp enough to make the rear tires slide around it makes my fuel gauge go to Empty even though I have 3/4 of a tank. The computer also comes up and says 25 miles to empty, then about 5 minutes later the fuel gauge goes back to normal. Is anyone else having this problem? I'm about to take it in to the dealer and show them. Thanks for the info.

Jon
Old 12/17/05, 09:47 AM
Bullitt Member

I have never had that problem before that i noticed but i'll keep my eye open to see if that happens to me. I sure hope not but good luck and i hope you get everything straightened out.
Old 12/19/05, 02:30 PM
Team Mustang Source

I've noticed the same issue. But when I've done it, we had about 1/3rd tank.. I did a hard right turn, had the rear end hang out during the turn, and then it said I was low on gas.. It did take a few for it to get back to normal. I've had it happen 3 times.. Same turn, with between 1/4 and 1/3 tank of gas..

With a full tank of gas, I have not noticed it..

I just figured it was because we have saddle tanks and that one tank was reading really low until the fuel leveled out again.

~Mark
Old 4/26/06, 03:29 AM
Bullitt Member

Thanks for the info. I try to keep the tank full, but I haven't noticed it even with it low now. I guess it has worked it's self out over time.

Jon
Old 4/26/06, 10:13 AM
Team Mustang Source

Another thing I've recently noticed..

I don't think this is caused by the fuel sloshing between the saddle tanks (I didn't think it could move that quickly anyway).. I think this is related to the computer programming for the fuel level in the tanks..

One time when filling, I actidentilly left the key in the on position. The car wasn't running, but I had it in the on position so I could see how many gallons I used and didn't turn it off before I got back out to fill the tank..

I then filled the tank to what the dash said I used. . When I got back into the car, I found the fuel gauge was sitting at about 1/2 tank.. Over the next 30 minutes of driving (freeway) the fuel gauge slowly went up.

To me, it looks like the computer will allow the fuel gauges to drop quickly, but not rise quickly.. Old school dashes used a resister to slow down the movement of the gauge, which would make the gauge go down or up slowly. On our mustangs I think the computer slows down the rise of the fuel gauge, but not the drop. This means when you do something that makes the fuel move to the side of the tank (and makes the float drop) the computer lets the gauge go down quickly, but won't let it come up quickly..

Thats my swag from my observations..

~Mark

~Mark
Old 4/27/06, 07:45 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
maniak...mine does that all the time....however it happens when the car is off too

it is annoying [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smilies23.gif[/img]

actually i have a post about it in this forum a few down lol

keep us updated on what the dealer says
Old 7/19/06, 10:42 AM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just had my 06 vert in for the same issue. Backed out of the driveway and the 1/4 tank went to E, the computer alerted me to the fact I had 0 miles until empty... By the time a arrived at work, 17 miles later it had corrected itself. I just happened to have a scheduled oil change the next day so I had them check it. Can't say that I am happy with the answer, however, I am not mechanic nor a chemical engineer.

The answer was there is too much sulfur in the gas... They asked what gas I used and I replied that ever since it was delivered with 300 miles on the odometer it has always been run on chevron. His recommendation was to switch gas, guess what the suggestion was? BP (Amoco). Now I smell a rat. Ever look at the back of your owner’s manual? Notice what is printed on the gas cap? Mine is all branded with BP... In any case they added Techron (Chevron Product) additive to the tank indicating this would solve the problem.

Ok, so can someone explain how sulfur can affect the sending unit causing the gauge going to E?

Update:

Just found the TSB on the issues http://bradbarnett.net/mustangs/galaxie/tsb/tsb06_10_13.pdf and additional information that seems to shed light on the subject from the Chevron website...

http://www.chevron.com/products/prodserv/fuels/additives/concentrate_plus.shtml

“New 'clean' gasolines can cause fuel gauge malfunction
The Problem:
Certain residual sulfur species found at very low levels in many of todays highly refined gasolines can form corrosive deposits on reactive silver-based fuel sending unit (FSU) components used in many makes of automobiles. The FSU, located inside the fuel tank, reads the fuel level and electronically sends a signal to the fuel gauge.
How sulfur corrosion can cause your vehicle's fuel gauge to malfunction (false reading).
This corrosive deposit can disrupt the electrical performance of the FSU and lead to either erratic operation or complete failure of the FSU, often resulting in artificially low or high (empty or full) fuel level readings on the fuel gauge seen by the driver. An erroneous high (or full) fuel gauge reading could lead to the motorist inadvertently running out of fuel and create a potentially dangerous situation.

The problem is best viewed in medical terms: acute and chronic in nature

Acute: problems occur when the occasional batch of off-specification, high sulfur refinery gasoline leads to extensive erratic FSU operation across a region. The problem can occur in a single tank of gas.
Examples: Louisiana, Florida, Memorial Day, 2004; Erie, PA, Louisville, KY, Canada

Chronic: problems occur after long-term exposure to low-grade sulfur contamination in a fuel, which frequently leads to premature erratic behavior of the FSU at some point.
Examples: New Mexico and Arizona, 2004 and 2005

Higher temperatures play a vital roll in how severely an FSU is damaged by a harmful sulfur-containing gasoline.

FSU failures typically require the complete replacement of the sending unit at considerable expense to either the vehicle manufacturer or the vehicle owner. This repair can cost from $400 to over $1000.

There is strong automaker awareness, as virtually all automakers have been impacted: recalls, warranty repairs, safety concerns and product reputation. Some automakers are beginning to phase out reactive silver-based FSU components at significant expense. However, reactive silver-based FSU components have been used since the late 80's, so a 15 year-plus vehicle population is still exposed.
The Solution:
TECHRON® Concentrate Plus is one of the most advanced fuel system cleaning technologies available in today's market, and many automakers prescribe it routinely as their solution to all fuel deposit-related driveability problems.â€
Old 8/24/06, 12:24 PM

Indicator Problem Also

My 05 just went over 10k and a problem came up.
The fuel gauge drops to Empty and I get the error code:
DTE FLI DATA ERR
Then it returns to normal after about a minute.
Now the sulfer issue cannot apply because all I put in the car is Chevron Mid Grade.
Any ideas?
I will be taking it in to the dealer Monday but would like to go in with a little knowledge of what may be the cause.

Old 8/28/06, 10:51 AM

Back from the dealer.
Service manager told me that he is seeing this more and more on the Mustang.
They have tried the techroline but that hasnt worked on most that came in.
They replaced my sender and Fuel pump.
He said he hasnt seen one come back yet they fixed this way.
Old 8/29/06, 01:04 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Ixtlan
Back from the dealer.
Service manager told me that he is seeing this more and more on the Mustang.
They have tried the techroline but that hasnt worked on most that came in.
They replaced my sender and Fuel pump.
He said he hasnt seen one come back yet they fixed this way.
Took mine in for the fuel pump tsb. They replaced sender unit at the same time as preventative medicine for the probem discussed in this thread. No problems so far.
Old 9/9/06, 11:49 AM
Bullitt Member

Cool. Thanks for the info. I still have the problem, though I don't notice it much. One of these days I'll get around to taking it in for a fix.

Jon