Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Ford trying to deny my warranty

Search this Thread

Old 4/10/07, 01:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford trying to deny my warranty

My dealer called today and said they couldn't fix the power steering pump under warranty because of my modifications. Now what possible mod could I have that would affect a power steering pump? Of course he couldn't specifically name one modification that would hurt the power steering. He just said, "Your modifications could/may have caused additional stress on the pump". That's some bull****. I realised pretty fast that arguing with the service manager over the phone wasn't going to get me anywhere. I told him to just do the work because I need my car back. I figured I can just talk to someone above him at ford and get my money refunded anyway.

Who do I need to call to make this happen?
Old 4/10/07, 01:35 PM
Cobra R Member

The dealership GM

Research the magnuson-moss warranty act. Get a copy and bring it in there. They said your mods could or may have casued the problem. They need to prove that so make them prove it.

Next step talk to a lawyer.
Old 4/10/07, 01:37 PM
Cobra R Member

try this there is something here
http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/buspubs/warranty.htm
Old 4/11/07, 09:33 AM
Mach 1 Member

Called them this morning and told them if they were going to deny my warranty I was going to need written proof of how any aftermarket part I have caused power steering pump failure. We'll see how it goes.
Old 4/11/07, 10:23 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Be sure to mention how you will take your business elsewhere when you purchase your next car, unless they can work with you on this. I can't believe a dealership would risk losing your business over a lousy power steering pump.
Old 4/11/07, 10:27 AM
Mach 1 Member

They definatly aren't getting my business again reguardless of the outcome now. I didn't buy the car there unfortunatly.
Old 4/11/07, 11:17 AM
Mach 1 Member

The ford customer service rep I talked to said they were standing behind the dealer's decision. Then I mentioned the magnuson-moss warranty act and he said he had never heard of it (sigh). He sent the complaint up to someone higher up and they'll get back to me. I also left a message with someone at SEMA.
Old 4/11/07, 06:00 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts
What engine mods do you have? I am curious...
Old 4/11/07, 07:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Here's all my mods:

NX Wet Kit - 100 shot
KB boost-a-pump
Autolite HT0 plugs
C&L race intake
Hooker LT headers
Hooker O/R x-pipe
Magnapacks
Centerforce clutch
Pro 5.0 short throw shifter
BMR lowering springs
BMR lower control arms
BMR panhard rod
Old 4/11/07, 08:06 PM
Team Mustang Source

Don't see anything that would mess with a power steering pump.
Old 4/11/07, 08:12 PM
Cobra R Member

I don't either, try to keep working the magnuson-moss warranty act, on them. They need to prove something specifically caused the pump to go bad and you have anything to cause that to happen. Wait a day or 2 before you contact a lawyer but let them know you are getting one.
Old 4/13/07, 06:25 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,138 Likes on 1,719 Posts
If I were in your place ? I wouldn't even bother wasting my time on such a boneheaded dealer like that to begin with..In fact as soon as you get your written documentation back from them in which I can pretty much guarantee won't mention a single word let alone be able to link any of your mod's as the cause of your power steering pump to fail as their is no possible way in hell that any of your mods are even related to the power steering unit..Therefore the dealership in question has already failed in it's attempt to establish any real burden of proof otherwise, your dealer's service manager or GM would have provided you with written documentation linking your mod's as the cause from the very beginning..What I strongly recommend is either locate another dealer who's considered mod friendly or perhaps the dealer you purchased your Stang from as they may more than likely be willing to work with you in order to continue earning your business as a valued customer..
Old 4/14/07, 11:08 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by theedge67
Don't see anything that would mess with a power steering pump.
+1 to that...

My guess is they saw the nitrous kit and then just closed the hood.
Old 4/14/07, 03:57 PM
Cobra Member

I don't know why they will not fix anything, it seems like they think the money comes out of there pocket and not Ford's.
Old 4/14/07, 04:15 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Well dealers don't try to avoid service work, its money for the dealer. Forced induction can be considered to put strain on accessories by, well, forcing the motor to spin up faster then designed from the factory, along with everything attached to the front of it, just like a set of UDP's can be grounds for an accessory problem voiding warranty work. The car did not get designed to have a 100 shot forcing everything to work harder. I don't see how you could not anticipate possible warranty problems with a nitros oxide system. Get a lawyer, call the police, call Bill Ford's mother-come on you're sprayin', it comes with the territory. You can put a subaru catalog aftermarket muffler on a WRX and completely void the entire powertrain warranty.
Old 4/14/07, 08:49 PM
Team Mustang Source

The power steering pump is not working any harder no matter what HP you are running, it is RPM's that will kill it. And if your not pulling more than the stock limiter settings, I can't see a problem. Spinning up faster making it work harder is b/s.
Old 4/14/07, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by kevinb120
Forced induction can be considered to put strain on accessories by, well, forcing the motor to spin up faster then designed from the factory, along with everything attached to the front of it
Old 4/15/07, 11:43 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm not arguing my view, but the manufacturer's view. I have seen this at the dealer dozens of times with issues with pulley swaps on 03/04 cobras and a/m supercharged cars. Ford is one of the most forgiving companies I have seen with regards to warranty repairs, import companies would probably already of black-listed you for any warranty work on any powertrain component the second they saw the nitrous kit. I know when I worked at subaru, even something simple like a new bof will get your warranty completely axed. Hell, Mitsu reps that catch you at a track event will void your Evo warranty just for being there. Good luck. Its called pay to play, just buy the new **** ps pump and get on with your life. If a dealer suspects they will not be approved by Ford for a repair, if the Ford rep says no, dealers won't touch it.

I've seen it dozens of times and no-one wins. If the dealer thought they could get away with a warranty repair, they would of done it already. I've seen techs at various dealers where they thought something like a tranny issue was borderline go out to 'make sure' it would be considered failed for a full warranty replacement rather then a denial or a stop-gap half-assed mfg 'solution' repair for the issue(such as a known 'fix' that techs know never holds up down the road)... Spend thousands on a lawyer(not to mention the time it takes to do anything about it) with a best-case scenario of what?-getting a new PS pump? What's the total repair anyway? Its not like it has a broken crankshaft.
Old 4/18/07, 10:31 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by kevinb120
I'm not arguing my view, but the manufacturer's view. I have seen this at the dealer dozens of times with issues with pulley swaps on 03/04 cobras and a/m supercharged cars. Ford is one of the most forgiving companies I have seen with regards to warranty repairs, import companies would probably already of black-listed you for any warranty work on any powertrain component the second they saw the nitrous kit. I know when I worked at subaru, even something simple like a new bof will get your warranty completely axed. Hell, Mitsu reps that catch you at a track event will void your Evo warranty just for being there. Good luck. Its called pay to play, just buy the new **** ps pump and get on with your life. If a dealer suspects they will not be approved by Ford for a repair, if the Ford rep says no, dealers won't touch it.

I've seen it dozens of times and no-one wins. If the dealer thought they could get away with a warranty repair, they would of done it already. I've seen techs at various dealers where they thought something like a tranny issue was borderline go out to 'make sure' it would be considered failed for a full warranty replacement rather then a denial or a stop-gap half-assed mfg 'solution' repair for the issue(such as a known 'fix' that techs know never holds up down the road)... Spend thousands on a lawyer(not to mention the time it takes to do anything about it) with a best-case scenario of what?-getting a new PS pump? What's the total repair anyway? Its not like it has a broken crankshaft.
I dont agree I say pay them and take them to small claims court. Have them prove there it damagd it. Also I would check with SEMA as someone mentioned above. JMO
Old 4/18/07, 11:13 PM
Cobra Member

The challenge with retaining a lawyer is that the stealership can likely better afford the legal posturing and litigation that may follow. If you really want to hurt them where they live, consider contacting one of the local TV station investigative reporters. The reporter will contact the dealership to ask questions... and the thought of having less than flattering information about the dealership broadcast on the 6pm news MIGHT be enough to get the GM to reconsider.

Of course if the dealership subscribes to the "any news is good news" philosophy all this will likely do nothing other than cost you time, money, and potentially get you blackballed from doing business with the dealership. And under the circumstances (and assuming there is another dealership in your general neighborhood) that doesn't sound like such a bad thing.

Quick Reply: Ford trying to deny my warranty