Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang
View Poll Results: Does your GT Tranny whine?
My Tranny doesn't whine at all. Quiet as a mouse.
34.78%
Tranny whines, but I'm living with it as normal.
45.65%
Tranny whines, can't stand it, and I can't get a dealer to fix it.
17.39%
Tranny was "fixed" by dealer per TSB, but my whine is still there.
2.17%
Tranny was fixed by dealer per TSB and my whine is gone!
0%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Definitive Tranny Noise Poll - Whiners check in!

Search this Thread

Old 5/20/06, 05:59 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Definitive Tranny Noise Poll - Whiners check in!

Okay guys,
Trying to finally get down to a single definitive post on the the GT tranny whine issues. Please vote and chime in with your experiences...

Here's my issue:

Supercharger like high pitch whine in all gears except 4th. Particularly noticable on 2nd and 3rd downshift/decel (not talking synchros here), and in 5th gear from 55-65MPH. Had rear end TSB performed, no change in whine. Sounds like the tranny TSB for '05's, but because I have an '06 dealer won't acknowledge.

Maybe if enough people chime in, we can show this to our Service Advisors or to Ford/Tremec for a definitive answer. Is the whining normal or not?
Old 5/20/06, 01:36 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
All quiet on my front, but I only have 230 miles.
Old 5/23/06, 01:06 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I mainly get the whine in 5th between 52-60, and it is really annoying. After several trips to the dealer they replaced the entire transmission. Guess what? The whine is still there!!! Where else could it be coming from????
Old 5/25/06, 06:57 PM

05'GT and the dealer replaced once.....no change at all,still there.
Old 5/28/06, 10:13 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 67 Likes on 32 Posts
mine was dead silent- but at about 400 miles on the clock let the wife try and drive stick...after the bucking bronco, the burnouts, the stalls, on the way home it sounded , well, pretty much like everyone said it would. with the radio on even low its not noticeable, but if quiet, sounds kinda like its got gravel it it at lifting throttle, and whines a bit, especially in first. still wouldnt trade it for the world...well maybe for a six speed
Old 5/30/06, 07:12 PM
Bullitt Member

I've got about 15K of warranty left so I'll just wait till it gets cold again to see if it's any worse. If so, maybe then they'll believe me that it's not "normal". Btw, I received a JD Powers survey and I burned my dealer for this issue specifically.
Old 6/3/06, 02:58 PM
Cobra Member

Well I've posted before... yes mine whines.

Exactly like Chris' car. Ours were built around the same time so maybe that has something to do with it.

The other day on the freeway it was so loud it almost drove me nuts!

2nd, 3rd, and 5th... whines like crazy. Gravely sound in 2nd and 3rd as well.
Old 6/3/06, 06:18 PM
GT Member

I have a an early build '05 (October 10, '04 if I remember correctly). I don't get the transmission whine others seem to get, but do have gear noise in 1st and 2nd. It has been that way from the first day, but it doesn't really bother me. The upper gears are very quiet.
Old 6/5/06, 04:47 PM

I have an early build and it's noisy in 1-4 gears, 5th is very quiet. Dealer said it was normal. I drove another '05 (June build) and it was a lot better. Dealer didn't care and wouldn't acknowledge the difference.
Old 6/6/06, 06:00 AM
Team Mustang Source

Had the "grinding/growling" TSB regarding the manual transmission. After this got fixed, my overall drivetrain noise decreased by like 50%
Old 6/6/06, 01:37 PM
Team Mustang Source

Ed - was your car built before the date in the TSB. Imatk and myself have the symptoms of the TSB, but because we are '06's it doesn't "apply" to us.
Old 6/6/06, 07:03 PM
V6 Member

I picked her up on Friday, a little over 200 miles on her. There's a definite whine and grind in low rpms/1st and 2nd gears, and some rattle at idle until I push the clutch in and put her in gear. My throttle seems to be sticking too - little more than two seconds when changing gears before it starts to drop. I was attributing the grind/whine to this...
Should I be concerned? This is my third stang since 01. My 03 had a little rattle at idle but nothing bad. I went through two throw out bearings in my 03....
Should I be concerned???
One other thing, everytime I've started her, she starts up at 2000 rpms and takes about 5 seconds to come down stopping at 1100 for few seconds.

By the way, glad to be here!
Old 6/9/06, 03:09 PM

I have a mid year '05, with 3800 miles on it.

This is the 3rd V8 Mustang with a manual I've owned, and I've driven in many more... my first comment is that this is the sloppiest shifting tranny with the most amount of slop in it that I've ever been in. But, if it can take the 4.6L-3V power without damage, I can live with that. I also know I can make it shift better with a new shifter, so I can live with that too.

As for noises, it sounds like it's grinding rocks at low RPM, 1st gear, but other than that it's fine. The rock grinding sound is pretty normal for any tranny like this when the car is being lugged, so I haven't thought anything about it. Is there a TSB that fixes it?

Meanwhile, no other odd noises (esp. whining) from the other gears, and I have done a few burnouts when we first got the car.
Old 6/9/06, 05:03 PM
Cobra Member

I initally had the grinding sound, and still do occasionally, but now it whines more.

I don't know if yours will start to whine but if not I'd just be happy it doesn't because according to every dealer I've gone to the whining is "normal."

Of course if they rode in a car like yours then I'm sure they wouldn't say that... but what can I do?
Old 6/11/06, 07:42 AM
Queen Of Nascar

Originally Posted by BuzzyStang05
Ed - was your car built before the date in the TSB. Imatk and myself have the symptoms of the TSB, but because we are '06's it doesn't "apply" to us.

Thats not completely true. I had a TSB done for the whining rear end that was for 05's built before a certain date and I had it in my 06.
Old 6/11/06, 07:47 AM
Cobra Member

Yeah what Chris means Donna is that it DOES probably apply to us but to get a dealer to fix it per the '05 TSB is fairly impossible so be glad yours DID fix it because I've been to three that won't.

Too bad I don't live in Spartanburg SC... I'd be paying your dealership a visit
Old 6/11/06, 07:57 AM
Queen Of Nascar

Originally Posted by Imatk
Yeah what Chris means Donna is that it DOES probably apply to us but to get a dealer to fix it per the '05 TSB is fairly impossible so be glad yours DID fix it because I've been to three that won't.

Too bad I don't live in Spartanburg SC... I'd be paying your dealership a visit

Well..that just sucks!! I took the 05 TSB with me and they fixed mine no problem. Hopefully a TSB for the 06 will come out soon for you guys. Good Luck
Old 6/12/06, 02:49 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by BuzzyStang05
Ed - was your car built before the date in the TSB. Imatk and myself have the symptoms of the TSB, but
because we are '06's it doesn't "apply" to us.

Mine was built in early January 05 just before the TSB cutoff date of 1-15-05