Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Condensation in the trunk

Search this Thread

Old 1/5/06 | 12:42 PM
GT Member

So after the heavy rains recently, I opened my trunk and noticed condensation on the ceiling of the trunk lid. The only thing that was in my trunk was my boot cover. That was also moist. It seems as if water got into the trunk and when the sun came out it made it evaporate causing condensation on the lid. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm trying to get my car to the dealer tomorrow for dash rattles and squeking brakes and if this is a problem I want it taken care of also. What's your opinion?

Also, my car is left outside 24/7, and it is my daily driver.
Old 1/5/06 | 12:52 PM
I Have Admin Envy

Was the carpet wet at all?
Old 1/5/06 | 01:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by dleal00@January 5, 2006, 1:45 PM
So after the heavy rains recently, I opened my trunk and noticed condensation on the ceiling of the trunk lid. The only thing that was in my trunk was my boot cover. That was also moist. It seems as if water got into the trunk and when the sun came out it made it evaporate causing condensation on the lid. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm trying to get my car to the dealer tomorrow for dash rattles and squeking brakes and if this is a problem I want it taken care of also. What's your opinion?

Also, my car is left outside 24/7, and it is my daily driver.
Sorry to hear of your problems. There are two things I found on mine that you might want to check
1. Make sure it is not coming in through were the spoiler bolts to the trunk.
2. Check the third brake light. Mine was leaking and they replaced.
I hope this helps.
Michael
Old 1/5/06 | 01:33 PM
I Have No Life

That is odd. I would expect you would have the same problem if you left water running over your trunk. Dry everything and then leave the garden hose on it for a long time. That should reproduce the problem or at least indicate if there is a leak somewhere.
Old 1/5/06 | 05:47 PM
GT Member

So I just tried to reproduce the problem with no luck, I took a hose and let it run over my trunk for a few minutes, then I dried my car and opened the trunk and there was not water on the interior of the trunk that I could see. There was some water on top of the rubber seals, but I'll check for condensation tomorrow morning before I bring it in.
Old 1/5/06 | 06:02 PM
I Have No Life

Time to call in CSI. That is really odd that water does not enter the trunk area yet you have condensation on the top of the trunk. hmmmmm
Old 1/5/06 | 10:15 PM
GTR Member

Did you open the trunk when the trunk was wet? sometimes it drips inside the trunk instead of along the sides like it is supposed to do.
Old 1/5/06 | 10:41 PM
GT Member

The last time I opened my trunk before the storms was on Christmas eve and it was dry that day. I washed my car and dried it. I didn't open my trunk until New Year's Eve, a week later and found the condensation. During that week we had some strong downpours. The condensation has been there since then. I dried it all up today and hopefully does not reappear.

Also when I tired to reproduce the problem today, I noticed some green mold on the black plastic around the opening of the trunk.

One theory I came up with is that the keyhole leaks. I used the keyhole once at the dealership, the day I picked it up, and haven't used it since then. I'm taking it in tomorrow for other problems so if there is any condensation there tomorrow morning, I will have them attend to it and see what they say, if not I will be on the lookout. I don't want it in there too long, since it is my daily driver.

Thatnks for all of your help.
Old 1/6/06 | 05:18 PM
GT Member

I just realized that I have condensation in my trunk/rear speaker area in my car. My car got pelted by the nasty rain over New Years weekend down here in So. California. I noticed the interior seemed humid then found a moist area in the far drivers corner of the rear speaker tray. I only found it because the rear window had condensation in that corner.

Love to hear if you found your leak. I'm definately looking for mine. Don't want a moldy NEW car!!
Old 1/6/06 | 06:09 PM
GT Member

Found a little condensation this morning in the trunk and it is at the dealer right now trying to find the problem. Hopefully they don't have it too long since the weather is finally nice here.

Now that I think of it, I did notice some condensation on the inside of my windshield after the rain. Not sure if the convertible top has anything to do with it but hopefully this problem gets fixed.