Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Clunk When Shifting

Search this Thread

Old 2/5/07, 08:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clunk When Shifting

My week-old 07 GT auto developed a fairly loud clunk when shifting from park to drive and vice-versa that started happening after three days after I took it home. I took it to the dealer and the service writer shifted it a few times and decided they needed to look at it. I also mentioned that the right front suspension made noise going over bumps and the remote start they installed would not work if the temperature fell below 15 degrees (just when you want it most).

I also wanted to know why the front end hops up and down on the highway at certain speeds. I figured it was the soft factory strut valving but wanted to know for sure.

Later that day they called and said they found nothing wrong and I could come pick up the car. When I get there I talk to the service writer about my main concern, the clunk when shifting. He says "they all do that". Same for the noise from the right front suspension. The hopping they could not reproduce. They forgot about the remote starter issue.

So.

Do all auto Mustangs clunk when shifting gears?
Old 2/6/07, 04:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
My 05 GT auto had an intermittant clunk when shifting from park to reverse. It seems that after about 3000 miles it went away. I also made a habit of letting it idle down to 1000 rpms after I start it and not to shift it into reverse right after starting it. When the rpms are lower there is less of a chance of it doing that. It only used to happen when shifting from park to reverse though. Isn't the drive shaft on our cars a two piece affair. And may that be the cause of the clunk? I'm definately not a mechanic though.
Old 2/6/07, 06:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The car was idling at 600 RPM in the service bay and it clunked. Sometimes it sounds like the rear end and sometimes the front. Sometimes it's a metallic clack. I have never heard another new car do that going into gear.

I tried to test the dealers assertion that all auto Mustangs make that sound by trying another on the lot but of the 10 autos they had on the lot none had a charged battery.
Old 2/7/07, 07:38 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Sounds like it is not what mine used to do. Mine was a clunk coming from under the car and only when shifting from park to reverse. Like some drive shaft noise. And like I said, it was intermittant and really does not do that anymore after some miles were put on the car. The bottom line is that if you are not happy and suspect a problem with your brand new car, your dealer should bend over backwards to make you happy. I don't understand why ALL your dealer's Mustangs did not have enough charge in the batteries to start and shift into gear. Sounds fishy to me.