Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Clicking Noise when Defrost or A/C is on

Search this Thread

Old 8/13/07, 06:05 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clicking Noise when Defrost or A/C is on

Does anyone know what the deal is when you have the A/C or defrost on why there seems to be a clicking sound coming from the front of the car. I just sent my stereo in so its not in the car right now and i can really here it sense i have no music playing and ive had to have my a/c on recently because of the hot weather. Anyone else hear this when these are on or know the problem. Thanx
Old 8/13/07, 06:16 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I believe that even with just the fan on that the a/c compressor kicks in turn to 0 and most likely here nothing . the way it was in my 05 and even the 07 , I was told I think something about air circulation or something like that.
Old 8/13/07, 06:39 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The clicking noise you hear is just the a/c compressor turning on and off. It will do that as long as the a/c is on, or you have it set to defrost. On defrost it cycles the a/c to remove humidity from the air, so it can defog the windows better. It is normal, every car in the world with a/c does it...you can just hear this compressor more than some other types of cars.

The a/c in the new mustangs works great, it is probably a pretty large compressor...hence the loud click when it kicks on.
Old 8/14/07, 06:43 PM
GT Member

Ok cool, thanks guys i was just a little worried!!!! Gotta love TMS
Old 8/16/07, 06:07 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When you get your stereo back just keep it cranked up and you won't hear the compressor clicking.
Old 8/16/07, 11:57 AM

If you hear it every time you accellerate, it could be your A/C solenoid shutting the compressor off under hard accelleration - to waste less engine power.

My Volvo shuts the A/C compressor off at near WOT (but I can't hear the solenoid.. good old Swedish engineering. They make good meatballs too.)
Old 8/16/07, 12:18 PM
V6 Member

My 05 gt doesn't make this sound anymore, and I have this weird whine that comes from, I assume, the compressor because it rears itself only when the a/c is on.

So I'm hoping someone may know if the two might be related? Is the sound supposed to go away, or would the sound going away be a sign of a problem? maybe it's broken in now? I have no clue what's wrong with it and the dealer says it's the "high speed fan" ie perfectly normal ya right.

It still blows cold air btw, but I think it could be a little colder.

thanks for any input
Old 8/16/07, 01:15 PM
GT Member

Does the click noise happen once every minute or so or is it more like a baseball card in the spokes of a bicycle? If hte clicking is once evey so often it's the clutch on the compressor. If the clicking is really fast, there might be an issue with the fan blades...
Old 8/17/07, 08:27 PM
GT Member

Take it in and have the freon pressure checked. If it gets too low the compressor won't run and you won't hear the "click". If you let it go too long you could kill the copmressor..
Old 8/20/07, 10:42 AM
V6 Member

I'm actually hoping that the compressor will die so that it'll be a cut n dry issue, but I'll ask them to do a pressure test and see if that results in anything.

thank you

any other opinions welcome, taking the car in prolly Wednesday.
Old 2/11/19, 02:37 PM

Cool

Originally Posted by theedge67
The clicking noise you hear is just the a/c compressor turning on and off. It will do that as long as the a/c is on, or you have it set to defrost. On defrost it cycles the a/c to remove humidity from the air, so it can defog the windows better. It is normal, every car in the world with a/c does it...you can just hear this compressor more than some other types of cars.

The a/c in the new mustangs works great, it is probably a pretty large compressor...hence the loud click when it kicks on.

----I have this issue with my 2013 ford fiesta. It started happening about 6 months or so ago. I've had it brand new off the lot. It has the standard compressor. The air still blows and the heat and the cold still works. It only happens when I use the defrost, never with A/C and never with the regular heater, only the defrost. And it ONLY happens when turning it off, never when I turn it on. Any suggestions?

Last edited by dhenry0166; 2/11/19 at 02:38 PM.