Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Charging system

Search this Thread

Old 6/29/21, 06:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Charging system

06 gt on my 2nd battery and going to replace today 2nd alternator. Read on forums to add a ground wire? Or install a 2010 alternator? If installing ground wire from battery to where do I connect wire to ? And what gauge wire. Any advice is greatly appreciated
Old 6/29/21, 07:23 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,509 Likes on 1,031 Posts
If not too late, yes you want the 2010 Denso alternator. They are more expensive but should last a lot longer, hopefully forever. Department of Boost had them for sale a while back, not sure if they still do.
Home | Department of Boost

The battery already has a ground wire, connected to the chassis; otherwise nothing would work . . . I am not sure what the forums were talking about there, maybe upgrading it to heavier cable or making a better connection on the end? For sure you want to make sure that all of the major connections are in good shape (mainly: clean and tight).

Last edited by Bert; 6/29/21 at 01:07 PM.
Old 6/29/21, 12:44 PM
Legacy Supercharged Tms Member

Received 57 Likes on 37 Posts
There are two (2) ground wires from the battery: One to the strut tower at the passenger side and the second to the starter. There is a third ground (ribbon cable) from the rear of the block to the top ledge at the firewall on the driver side.

Along with the power wire from the battery to the alternator, the forums refer to these as the "Big Three" and upgrade to a heavier gauge wire when running a lot of electronics and higher amp alternator. Additional ground wires (Big Five) typically involve the alternator to chassis and heads to chassis. I don't recommend the Big Five unless you're absolutely certain how your electronics are connected as you might cause a ground fault loop and do serious damage. Leave that to the pros.

Last edited by RedFire281; 6/29/21 at 01:28 PM.
Old 6/29/21, 06:39 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
AAAND... if I my add to this mix of things....

Do this in the link below. I did it to Awesome and that pretty much did away with the issues on battery/alternator. I hope it helps. Good luck! Oh, and a very *very* belated Welcome to the forums, ya lurker ya!

https://themustangsource.com/forums/...4/#post6917899
Old 8/11/23, 08:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RedFire281
There are two (2) ground wires from the battery: One to the strut tower at the passenger side and the second to the starter. There is a third ground (ribbon cable) from the rear of the block to the top ledge at the firewall on the driver side.

Along with the power wire from the battery to the alternator, the forums refer to these as the "Big Three" and upgrade to a heavier gauge wire when running a lot of electronics and higher amp alternator. Additional ground wires (Big Five) typically involve the alternator to chassis and heads to chassis. I don't recommend the Big Five unless you're absolutely certain how your electronics are connected as you might cause a ground fault loop and do serious damage. Leave that to the pros.
Hey man I really hope you see this as I need some help with wiring. I have moved the battery to the trunk. The negative terminal on battery is grounded to the body in the rear. I’m assuming G107 is the passenger strut tower ground? And G106 is the ground that goes to the starter? Where on the starter does G106 ground? Since I have moved the battery to the trunk, where can I ground G106/107 now? Is G107 even necessary anymore, as it would just be a ground from strut tower back to body (as it was previously grounded on the negative battery terminal)? Just ground both to the body or frame? Will I have any issues now that the battery is not directly grounded to the engine? Any info you can give me would be greatly appreciated?
Old 8/11/23, 06:27 PM
Administrator, Shop Manual PDF Poster, Parts Locator & Spam Bot Eliminator!!

Received 2,600 Likes on 1,925 Posts
Welcome!

Although Not Exactly What You Are Asking For this Link and Pdf. Maybe Helpful. The Pdf. Shows an S550 But The Kit is Also Listed For S-197 Applications

Mgb,

KC

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
s550-battery-relocation-kit.pdf (807.9 KB, 21 views)
Old 8/13/23, 11:47 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
2005-2009 alternator issues.

Originally Posted by sPerez
06 gt on my 2nd battery and going to replace today 2nd alternator. Read on forums to add a ground wire? Or install a 2010 alternator? If installing ground wire from battery to where do I connect wire to ? And what gauge wire. Any advice is greatly appreciated

go to American Muscle and order the 230 amp alternator and upgraded bigger gauge positive cable. Problem solved! Did this on my 2006 GT and 2007 GT/CS.
Old 8/13/23, 11:52 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sPerez
Originally Posted by Jimtrucky
go to American Muscle and order the 230 amp alternator and upgraded bigger gauge positive cable. Problem solved! Did this on my 2006 GT and 2007 GT/CS.

200 amp alternator. I thumbed the key! Lol