Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Catalytic Converter Issues

Search this Thread

Old 7/25/16, 11:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Catalytic Converter Issues

Hey all,

2007 Ford Mustang V6 Pony Package + Ford Racing Dual Exhaust.

About two months ago (!) I attempted changing my spark plugs (and wires, and distributor coil). In the process of doing so, I cracked the (new) plug, causing a misfire in Cyl 2. Had no idea what it was, just noticed at low RPM's I didn't have as much get-up-and-go. Didn't know it was in Cyl 2, so I took apart 4, 5, and 6, rebuilt them with new plugs, tried again, no difference, so I said eff it and took it to a mechanic.

Hence, now knowing that Cyl 2 was the one that cracked. In the process of which, I probably put >50mi on a misfiring cylinder.

Ever since then, I've had the (dreaded) P0420 "Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)". For the most part, I've ignored it -- it wasn't really hurting anything and as far as I know the "right answer" is either A) a new O2 sensor, or B) a new Catalytic Converter (which would make sense due to putting 50mi on a misfiring cylinder).

Took my Pony to a track day this weekend, and it sure sounds like I blew a hole through my exhaust now. Really hoping I didn't scrap my muffler(s).

I've clearly put off fixing this properly for far too long.

I don't REALLY want to drop $1k per cat for an OEM replacement from Ford.
American Muscle has a few alts listed from Pypes, and O'Reilly/AutoZone/etc have FloMaster and Magnaflow.

As far as I can tell, Magnaflow is the cheap answer (I'll still have to deal with cutting and welding, which I have to do anyway due to this (theoretical) hole in my exhaust).

tl;dr Any recommendations for a replacement catalytic converter? Also, do I need two, or just one? I think two -- one per bank.

Thanks!
Old 12/5/16, 03:17 PM

Any solution on this?
A magnaflow metal cat (200 cells) or ceramic cat (400 cells) sounds quite attractive.

But i've been told that once you change, you have to change both.
Old 12/6/16, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by GermanPetrolhead
Any solution on this?
A magnaflow metal cat (200 cells) or ceramic cat (400 cells) sounds quite attractive.

But i've been told that once you change, you have to change both.
Ended up buying an entire cat assembly off RockAuto for ~$270 and having the old one cut off -- something worth noting is I have a V6 with an X-pipe, so they had to do some custom work there.

I originally had bought a pair of universal Magnaflows, but it would have been *more* expensive to adapt those in, than just replacing with a factory cat assembly.
Old 12/6/16, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by CGordini
Ended up buying an entire cat assembly off RockAuto for ~$270 and having the old one cut off -- something worth noting is I have a V6 with an X-pipe, so they had to do some custom work there.

I originally had bought a pair of universal Magnaflows, but it would have been *more* expensive to adapt those in, than just replacing with a factory cat assembly.

Yeah but I guess for the 2013 V6 models I don't find such whole assembly.
Only a Davico part but I guess its a universal catalytic converter which you have adapt:

http://www.rockauto.com/de/catalog/f...converter,5808
Old 12/7/16, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by GermanPetrolhead
Yeah but I guess for the 2013 V6 models I don't find such whole assembly.
Only a Davico part but I guess its a universal catalytic converter which you have adapt:

http://www.rockauto.com/de/catalog/f...converter,5808
I guess this one will make it:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/191984143359