Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

car won't accelerate - need help

Search this Thread

Old 7/20/08, 02:58 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
car won't accelerate - need help

I went to upload the new tune that I received from Doug at BamaChips for my BBK TB and now the car starts, but when I give it gas, it doesn't go anywhere and then it just shuts off. I tried returning to stock and then flashing back to the 93 Race Tune when everything was working fine and nothing. Same thing.

Any suggestions quick???

The car is parked on the street right now and I need to get it to my garage which is 2 blocks away.

UPDATE: After messing with the tuning for over an hour, I deicded to reflash to stock, remove the Negative terminal on the battery for 20 seconds and reconnected. I went to re-connect and now the tuner says ERROR OPENING FILE when I try to upload the tune.

Something has seriously gone wrong and now my car is stuck. It starts but I get the CEL Light and the Wrench Light and when I give it gas it shakes horribly and doesn't want to go anywhere. I have no idea where to go from here except get it towed back into my garage and have it towed to Tillman Speed to get it worked on.

Any ideas?

Last edited by CrazyGreek89; 7/20/08 at 03:33 PM.
Old 7/20/08, 04:13 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
tell doug and have him email you the fix
Old 7/20/08, 05:11 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Boltzman
tell doug and have him email you the fix
Emailed Doug earlier. I don't anticipate a response until Tuesday, but that's fine, I can wait.

That being said, I was able to drive the car to my garage 2 blocks away, although the car was idling the whole time and no throttle was able to be given. It really sucked doing less than 1mph for 2 blocks in a Mustang. I had some really weird looks HAH
Old 7/20/08, 08:00 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 669 Likes on 542 Posts
Um... I know, not helping, but that last reminded me of this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phtWKSEKeiE

Just wondering... Perhaps a new computer (for spare, of course) permanently set to 'stock' could be a good thing to have when you have a tuner setup? So that it could maybe be swapped out in a time like this? I'm asking here, of course, not commanding. That'd be silly.

/Slow and low, that is the tempo!!
Old 7/21/08, 06:32 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by houtex
Um... I know, not helping, but that last reminded me of this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phtWKSEKeiE

Just wondering... Perhaps a new computer (for spare, of course) permanently set to 'stock' could be a good thing to have when you have a tuner setup? So that it could maybe be swapped out in a time like this? I'm asking here, of course, not commanding. That'd be silly.

/Slow and low, that is the tempo!!
I don't know if the spare computer would do anything since I have the BBK TB anyway, and I believe the computer needs to be flashed for it to work properly.

Weird thing was...originally, I flashed the 93 Race Tune from Doug when I had the BBK CAI and the stock TB, and I went ahead and installed the BBK TB and didn't really have any problems except some high idle problems on start up. Doug sent me a new tune to try, I uploaded it to the tuner using LiveWire and then went to the car, flashed it, and since then is when the problem started. The CEL Light and the Wrench Light have been on since, and when you start the car, the first time it doesn't want to start and requires a 2nd crank. After it's running, you give it gas, and it doesn't want to go anywhere, it starts shaking uncontrollably. Also when shutting down the engine, I hear something spinning really hard almost like the fan is going to detach from the car.

I tried messing with the tuning for over an hour, switching from tunes back to stock etc. I was really screwed towards the end when I went to flash to the original tune I had when everything was working fine, 93 Race BBK tune, and it said "Error - Cannot Find File", I thought that tune may have gotten corrupt, so I tried the Torque and the newer Perf tune Doug sent me and they all had the same error.

I checked X3 for any errors, and it picked up 1 code and I cleared it and tried it again, same thing. I even disconnected the battery, and attempted to tune and it's still the same way.

I had no choice but to idle the car back to my garage. I'm very upset to say the least. It was such a gorgeous day yesterday and I couldn't drive her. It's been almost 2 weeks that I drove her.

Anyway...I hope no damage is done and I believe I'm on the stock tune, that's the last tune I think I put on before the X3 died on me.

Last edited by CrazyGreek89; 7/21/08 at 08:03 AM.
Old 7/21/08, 07:41 AM
Former Vendor

Those throttle bodies are hit or miss. Sounds like failsafe mode because of the throttle body to me, but I'd have to see. If you're going to bring it in, bring your factory TB with you as well, just in case.
Old 7/21/08, 08:01 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by TillmanSpeed
Those throttle bodies are hit or miss. Sounds like failsafe mode because of the throttle body to me, but I'd have to see. If you're going to bring it in, bring your factory TB with you as well, just in case.
I figured it was in failsafe mode. Ok, I am waiting to hear back from Doug. If I still have the problem, I will have it towed to your shop. I have the TB in my trunk HAHA. Maybe while I am there I can get a Custom Tune from you guys and a dyno run.

How much do you think it would cost to fix the TB issue/failsafe mode problem I'm having?
Old 7/21/08, 06:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by CrazyGreek89
How much do you think it would cost to fix the TB issue/failsafe mode problem I'm having?
Got a hammer? I can make it so you won't get that problem, for...oh...$27.50?
Old 7/21/08, 06:41 PM

I've read you usually have to set the TPS voltage on the new TBs to settle the idle but sounds like you have a diff problem. Good luck and curious to here if there are any gains from tb
Old 7/21/08, 07:24 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by wveil06
I've read you usually have to set the TPS voltage on the new TBs to settle the idle but sounds like you have a diff problem. Good luck and curious to here if there are any gains from tb
The weird thing is everything was working fine, up until I tried to install the new tune to try and correct some weird idling issues it had from a cold start, then the car apparently went into fail safe mode and I haven't been able to get it out. I guess I should have left it alone! HAH

I am going to have it towed up to Tillman Speed at some point this week and have them mess with it to see if they can get the BBK one working and if not, just put that stock one back on. I'm also going to have them dyno it and give me a new tune.

Hopefully everything works out fine with the BBK, as I would love to keep it, but if not I am going to call up BBK and try getting my money back.

Last edited by CrazyGreek89; 7/21/08 at 07:26 PM.
Old 7/21/08, 09:44 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Like Tillman said I also would be willing to bet it is the TB. Most likley did not get the internals setup and transfered over properly.
Old 7/22/08, 04:47 PM
Bullitt Member

please post final resolution. very interested in this topic as it happened to me too. 93 perf tune for 2 years, added BBK TB 6 mos ago. all is well until i tried to install the 87 tune a couple of weeks ago. after loading tune, the car would shut down completely at 3200 rpm. reloaded 93 and all is well again. doug said no tune update required for TB and he did send me a new 87 tune. just a little chicken to load and try it
Old 7/22/08, 06:59 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by xpinoy
please post final resolution. very interested in this topic as it happened to me too. 93 perf tune for 2 years, added BBK TB 6 mos ago. all is well until i tried to install the 87 tune a couple of weeks ago. after loading tune, the car would shut down completely at 3200 rpm. reloaded 93 and all is well again. doug said no tune update required for TB and he did send me a new 87 tune. just a little chicken to load and try it
I will definitely let you know xpinoy.

I know it's not the tune, and I don't want to say it's the TB, im baffled really. I installed this TB 100% correctly, had the spring counter-clockwise, I measured the voltages on the TPS etc. Step by step. Like I said, I installed the TB after the tune was on there, I wonder if that had anything to do with it. When I flashed it back to stock and flashed it to the new 93 Perf Tune Doug made for me, then the computer took a dive and went into fail safe mode. (I spoke to Doug today and he guaranteed me it is not his tune causing this problem. He also stated he had the same TB on his car, and went to get his car dyno'd and the TB started giving him problems there. He almost didn't make it home; he had a 70 mile trip ahead of him. He ended up tweaking it enough to get home) Anyway, I have been talking to Chris Rose over at Tillman Speed about this and he told me that it's the throttle body. He said if I put the stock one back on, everything will be fine again and the car will come out of fail safe mode. Chris also stated that they used to sell these TB's, but they have since pulled them because they installed them on 4 BBK TB's on 4 seperate cars and it only successfully worked without a problem on one of the cars. They have spent countless errors testing, troubleshooting and they haven't been able to figure them out. Chris said he would try his best to get mine working again, but there's no guarantee and he recommends that I return it to BBK. I don't blame him, I don't understand how they can get away selling this product if it doesn't work properly. Chris also mentioned there is really nothing wrong with the stock TB's that our S197's come with and he knows many people who run with them on their SC'ed ponies.

Long story short...I am getting my stallion towed to Tillman tomorrow night when I get home from work and I am dropping it off. They're going to mess with the BBK TB, but if they can't get it working, they're going to put my old one back on. While it's there I am going to have them dyno it for me and also give me one of their custom tunes. I will be picking it up Thursday when I come home from work and I will give you guys a status report at that point in time.

In other news, my 2004 Focus, which I just bought used about a month ago with 40k miles on it, has a bad EGR valve. Getting that replaced on next Monday. Boy, it's been a bad car week for me. First the Focus, and then the Mustang. On top of it, I have my mother yelling at me because I have a brand new car, which is owned by the bank and has a warranty still intact, but I continue to mod it. I told her to calm down, I pay for everything on the car, and if something breaks than it's my fault. God...why do mothers care this much??? HAH

Last edited by CrazyGreek89; 7/22/08 at 07:02 PM.
Old 7/23/08, 09:58 AM
Bullitt Member

thanks for the insight/additional info. guess i better check and see where the stock TB is in preparation. looking forward to your next post

pete
Old 7/23/08, 05:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by CrazyGreek89
I will definitely let you know xpinoy.

God...why do mothers care this much??? HAH
Because, they are moms, it's what they do. It's hard to step away from that roll after doing it for 18 plus years.

I'm 49, with a wife, three children, and a house, and mine still does it.

Comes with the territory. LOL
Old 7/24/08, 07:10 PM
Bullitt Member

Alright, so I just got back in from cruising in Red Thunder for the past 2 hours. All I can say is HOLY CRAP! She move's so much better now it's not even funny!!!! Kudos to ---> Tillman Speed. CR is the man!!!! Every time I press on the gas I am peeling rubber now HAHAH

I know you guys are wondering about the BBK TB situation. Turns out, car was indeed in fail safe mode like CR and Doug predicted. Chris T spent about 2 hours on trying to get the BBK TB working, but no luck. When they were taking it apart they noticed that the spring inside was all bent up and crushed really bad. He was able to salvage it and re-use it on the stock TB. They made sure it would work and was all right before they did that though. All I know, is I am going to fight as hard as I can with BBK to get a refund, maybe even Brenspeed might give me a refund or something, I will have to call Seth tomorrow and see whats up. CR was telling me how he confronted one of the BBK reps about 2 years ago on their lousy TB and they acted like they didn't know what they were talking about. CR also mentioned how for every 40 TB sold, 10 work for a little bit of time before they go south. I don't understand how BBK can get away with selling these for how many problems they have with them.

Anyway, off to the good news...all I know is Tillman Speed has my business for life. Their tune is off the chains. Freakin' A!!!!!! I can not believe how this car drives now. It feels like a total different animal. I do have they dyno results, and I plan to scan it and put it on here. For those of you interested, with just the BBK CAI and my Bassani Race axlebacks, which equate to no real power gain, I am running at 271.15 hp and 293.15 lbs of torque. CR was trying to beat the C&L CAI and he was so close, but he didn't want to push it. If I remember correctly, the stock hp was 257, but I am not sure what the torque was.

I got some serious looks when I was driving back to Center City on 95 South and the Vine St Expressway. I guess all my add on's and decals reallly do make it look old school. Next, I am going to be throwing on some long tubes, catted x pipe, under drive pullies, hot rod cams and the CDC shaker. It will sound awesome and looks even better.

to CR, Chris Tillman @ Tillman Speed. Awesome bunch of guys and a great shop. I look forward to going back there many times. Nothing but the best.

I couldn't help but drive past Evolution Performance on my way out and rev the motor a few times while they read the stickers on my rear side windows that stated: Custom Tuned By TILLMAN SPEED!

Last edited by CrazyGreek89; 7/24/08 at 07:12 PM.
Old 7/25/08, 09:32 AM
Bullitt Member

i say this is a great ending to the story. i guess i'd have to make the trip up to Tillman with my 05 and get it straight. then go back and get my 428R tweaked for good measure. gotta google the address and plan a road trip!! glad all your issues have been resolved!!!
Old 7/7/24, 02:17 PM

I have a 05 saleen 281..

So the car was falling on its face.
I changed the tps and it ran good for a day.
I was in taking a left turn and hit a hard boost and it did like it was running out of gas engine light came on and codes read 02 bank 1 and cam shaft posiotin sensor changed both reset computer and still nothing car starts but falls on its face pops and spits... any ideas ?
Old 7/7/24, 02:48 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,138 Likes on 1,719 Posts
Originally Posted by Jaco
I was in taking a left turn and hit a hard boost and it did like it was running out of gas engine light came on and codes read 02 bank 1 and cam shaft posiotin sensor changed both reset computer and still nothing car starts but falls on its face pops and spits... any ideas ?
Perhaps checking out the repair and service subforum section may help... Attachment link is provided below... Meanwhile, welcome aboard!

https://themustangsource.com/forums/f739/
Old 7/7/24, 05:53 PM
Administrator, Shop Manual PDF Poster, Parts Locator & Spam Bot Eliminator!!

Received 2,861 Likes on 2,112 Posts
Originally Posted by Jaco
@Jaco

Welcome!

Check Out The DTC Pdf in Here It Will Give You Step By Step. 3rd From Bottom The Added Supercharger Will Be a Consideration. Also Realize The Wiring Itself To Affected Items Could Be Pinched Burned or Stretched Internally or Broke. Had You Done Any Work At All Engine Wise on Car Recently Before This Happened? Any Other Story You Can Share? Daily Driver, Just Got it Out After Hibernation Etc! Need Backstory to Help Track Down.

Your Current Description Sounds Like When The Gasket on My Gt-500 Maf Sensor Got Sucked Out of Place on My C&L Intake. About All it Would Do is Idle till I Fixed it! Had To Feather The Throttle To get Home! Ran Like Hell Just From that Little Vacuum Leak! I Had Like The First One & The Boos for The Maf Was Not Final Finished Well. Have To Use a Bit of Silicone To Seal it.

https://themustangsource.com/forums/...e-info-550470/

Kc

Quick Reply: car won't accelerate - need help