Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Can't trust fuel gage or info center??

Search this Thread

Old 2/7/08, 05:10 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can't trust fuel gage or info center??

I've had an issue happen a couple of times where I'll look at my gas gage and have a 1/4 tank or so of fuel left. If I let the car sit a few hours it will say I'm almost out of fuel and read empty. I drove to work yesterday (3miles) and it said I had 80 miles before E. Started it to leave and get the audio alarm that says I've got 50 miles to E except the gage read completely empty and stated 0 miles to E. I've had it also happen where it will say xx miles to E but not change. Once it read 45 miles to E so I put a few gallons in and when I started it it said 35 miles to E and didn't change on a 27mi drive.

Has anyone else had these issues?
Old 2/7/08, 05:15 AM
Cobra Member

I just saw TSB 06-10-13 and will probably take it to the dealer.
Old 2/7/08, 05:43 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 777 Likes on 567 Posts
my fuel gauge has acted a little funny a few times also. Ford
Old 2/7/08, 07:55 AM
Cobra Member

I've found that if you don't shut the ignition completely off and fill it completely up when you get gas, it'll always read funny..

I was filling mine up last week and had turned the key on to listen to the stereo. When I was finished filling the thing said 240 miles to empty with a completely full tank (usually 315 miles ish). The 240 did not go down for 3 days, until I had around 50 miles on that tank.
Old 2/7/08, 11:50 AM
Team Mustang Source

Before you take a trip to the dealer, an easy and quick thing to try is a bottle of Techron concentrate in your next tank of gas. You can find it at any auto parts store, or probably most Wal-Marts. About $5-6, and Ford recommends it to clean any sulphur buildup on the fuel level sending units. Stay away from the STP stuff, I've had bad experiences with it in a previous car. (burnt up my spark plugs several times in my 89 Mustang).
Old 2/7/08, 03:11 PM
Cobra Member

Thanks! I'll give it a try when I fill up tomorrow.

Originally Posted by theedge67
Before you take a trip to the dealer, an easy and quick thing to try is a bottle of Techron concentrate in your next tank of gas. You can find it at any auto parts store, or probably most Wal-Marts. About $5-6, and Ford recommends it to clean any sulphur buildup on the fuel level sending units. Stay away from the STP stuff, I've had bad experiences with it in a previous car. (burnt up my spark plugs several times in my 89 Mustang).
Old 2/7/08, 03:14 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had the same problem (happen a couple times)... I knew I had like half a tank left, but when I went to the car the next morning, it read like 8 miles left to empty! I took it to the gas station, put in like $5 and viola, it went up to almost 3/4 tank... At first, I thought some punks had taken gas out of my tank, but after the gas station trip proved that wrong, I decided to take it in (I also needed to have my hesitation after long trips TSB fixed)... So far (it has only been like 2 weeks), I haven't had any more problems...

*knocks on wood*
Old 2/8/08, 12:42 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine's been back twice...stuff replaced...still does it ocasionally.
Old 3/6/08, 06:42 PM
GT Member

Great advice........Chevron is good stuff for the gas tank !!!!!!!!
Old 3/6/08, 06:46 PM

I just had the gauge show 1/2 tank after I filled it up. I too read somewhere the sending unit may be contaminated. Will try the Techron stuff first.
Old 3/6/08, 07:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

Can I use this in my Bullitt without any problems and would it be wise to use it with some sort of regularity BEFORE the sulphur builds up?
Old 3/6/08, 08:02 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by MustangLynda
Can I use this in my Bullitt without any problems and would it be wise to use it with some sort of regularity BEFORE the sulphur builds up?
Yes, and yes.
Old 3/7/08, 12:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Yes, and yes.

Thanks for the info! I read about that stuff a few years back and have been looking all over for the name of it today!