Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Blue Smoke on cold starts !! Normal???

Search this Thread

Old 1/6/07, 07:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rocket88
It's happened to me a few times, I think I've seen other threads on it, seems to be fairly normal.

noticed a small puff this morning, it was kinda cold but it went away almost immediately... this is the first time i've noticed it.
Old 1/6/07, 07:33 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
I heard some 03-04 Marauders had defective valve guides which caused blue smoke to puff upon startup (not the valve stem seals).
Old 1/6/07, 08:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by metroplex
I heard some 03-04 Marauders had defective valve guides which caused blue smoke to puff upon startup (not the valve stem seals).

i think there is a tsb on valve guides that are noisey... might be something one and the same.
Old 3/5/07, 10:59 AM
Mach 1 Member

Bump...
Mine will do this if say I pull it out of the garage to wash it (cold start-up) and it only runs about 1 minute then sits for 1-2 hours while I wash it or wax it. Then when I start it up afterwards, it gives a slight blue puff. Anybody researched this lately? Mine doesn't puff blue smoke any other time, even when it's very cold outside.
Old 3/5/07, 11:21 AM
Cobra Member

My '05 has done this every once in a while, mostly after sitting in the garage for a few hours for an oil change or something. I haven't seen it happen recently though. My car was driven hard right from day one, and it runs very strong.
Old 3/15/07, 08:05 AM
GT Member

I took mine in for rearend noise, eratic stereo, lumbar is not working, BLUE SMOKE at start up, and emergency brake freezing.
I will see what they say about the smoke.....
Old 3/17/07, 04:15 PM
Cobra Member

My recently purchased '06 did smoke a bit earlier today, first time I've seen this car do it. My '05 did it every once in a while.
Old 3/21/07, 10:17 AM
GT Member

Well, got the car back today. They kept it over the weekend to see if it would smoke on Monday morning. They reported that only the normal white smoke.
I told them I would monitor and get back to them if the problem persisted.
Old 3/21/07, 12:09 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Indystang
Bump...
Mine will do this if say I pull it out of the garage to wash it (cold start-up) and it only runs about 1 minute then sits for 1-2 hours while I wash it or wax it. Then when I start it up afterwards, it gives a slight blue puff. Anybody researched this lately? Mine doesn't puff blue smoke any other time, even when it's very cold outside.

Same symptoms here
Old 3/21/07, 01:04 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I wonder if it has anything to do with the use of 5W-20.
Old 3/21/07, 01:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Indystang
Bump...
Mine does the very same thing. If I start it and back it out of the garage and shut it off, it will puff smoke on the next start up. Dealer, of course, told me it was normal.
Old 3/22/07, 12:31 AM
Cobra R Member

I'm pretty sure you are talking about the steam, becuae that happens when its cold, condensation in the pipes
Old 3/24/07, 11:17 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mustangdaren
I have noticed the blue smoke on cold start up with mine also with under 2k miles. It seems to only do it if the car sets for 4 or 5 days with out driving it. Still kinda strang since I go for up to a month without driving my 89 Mustang and it does not smoke at all.
I've noticed this occassionally on my 05 GT with 14,000 miles. I've serviced correctly with 5 W 20 Motorcraft. I'm not really that concerned about it. Does it mainly when I let the car sit for a couple of days without driving it.

Just my thoughts........
Old 3/25/07, 05:20 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Steam should not puff out right after it starts. It takes a bit for the cats to heat up. Oil, howoever, will puff right out after a cold start if it is being burned.
Old 3/27/07, 12:54 AM
Cobra R Member

^ no it shouldn't but how long do you sit in the car, or gt out and admire it before you get out and notice the smoke/steam, and do your mufflers also drip? if the mufflers are also dripping fairly rapidly within 3-5 mins. its most likly steam which is normal
Old 3/27/07, 05:37 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I've seen many youtube videos where there is a puff of blue smoke upon startup (clearly engine oil being burned).
Old 3/27/07, 08:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

On my car it is smoke, not steam....it stinks really bad. I'm not worried about it. My car has 36K on the clock with regular oil changes with ford 5w20. It has always done it but has never gotten worse.
Old 3/27/07, 09:20 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by metroplex
I've seen many youtube videos where there is a puff of blue smoke upon startup (clearly engine oil being burned).
Mine does the same thing if it sits for a few days.

I asked my dad about it (he was a mechanic back in college...way back in the day ), and he said it's due to some vacuum that remains in the system that causes the oil to get sucked down through the valve seals, and that it's OK.

My car (and most other's, from what is mentioned on this thread) only does it for a brief second.

As he said: as long as you aren't burning oil while driving, then it's ok...It's not like you have to put a quart of oil in the car between oil changes or anything.

In response to what may be steam: you will definitely see (and smell) the difference between steam and smoke. Burnt oil is thick and bluish and smells like oil. Steam is more white, "thinner", and doesn't smell. Steam out of exhaust pipes will be very similar to steam from boiling water in a pot.

Also, you can usually tell that it's steam, because you will usually see some water dripping from the exhaust tips as well. This is especially seen upon stand-still acceleration.
Old 3/27/07, 11:42 PM
Cobra R Member

hey mike you have a good resource in your father. Glad we found a reason, thanks.
Old 11/4/07, 07:20 PM
Legacy TMS Member

My 07 GT just blew out a plume of blue smoke yesterday. I had driven it in the morning and moved it out of the garage in the afternoon to wash it. The blue smoke appeared when I started the engine to drive the Stang back into the garage. It lasted for about 15 seconds before steam started coming out. I can definitely tell the difference due to the color, density, smell, and how long it lingers in the air.

I have 4500 miles on the engine (never drag raced or abused) and it is using Pennzoil Platinum 5W-20.

Quick Reply: Blue Smoke on cold starts !! Normal???