Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Anyone have any experience with the Parking Brake Freezing TSB?

Search this Thread

Old 9/21/07 | 12:05 PM
V6 Member

Anyone have any experience with the Parking Brake Freezing TSB?

http://bradbarnett.net/mustangs/gala...sb06_05_04.pdf

Our GT experienced this problem last winter after a mild snowfall. Before we could get the car back to the house and let the brakes thaw out, the rear wheels locked up and put the car into a ditch, causing about $5k in cosmetic damage. The police report reflects the cause of the accident as "Mechanical fault or defect" and I've got one writen statement on file w/ the insurance company form the mechanic at the shop it was towed to stating that the e-brake was frozen solid. At the time, that wasn't enough for my insurance carrier to go after Ford for the cost of repairs, so we got stuck shelling out a deductable to have the car fixed.

Fast forward to today, I find this TSB that pretty much nails down the cause of the accident. My insurance company is considering going after FoMoCo for damages if I can get the e-brake cables replaced under that bulletin. Problem is, even if it were freezing out, I can't get the car to a dealership before the heat from the exhaust thaws out the cables and they release. No frozen cables, no cause for repair, no paper trail, no refund on our money.

Help?

~Mike~
Old 9/21/07 | 05:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by R-code
http://bradbarnett.net/mustangs/gala...sb06_05_04.pdf

Our GT experienced this problem last winter after a mild snowfall. Before we could get the car back to the house and let the brakes thaw out, the rear wheels locked up and put the car into a ditch, causing about $5k in cosmetic damage. The police report reflects the cause of the accident as "Mechanical fault or defect" and I've got one writen statement on file w/ the insurance company form the mechanic at the shop it was towed to stating that the e-brake was frozen solid. At the time, that wasn't enough for my insurance carrier to go after Ford for the cost of repairs, so we got stuck shelling out a deductable to have the car fixed.

Fast forward to today, I find this TSB that pretty much nails down the cause of the accident. My insurance company is considering going after FoMoCo for damages if I can get the e-brake cables replaced under that bulletin. Problem is, even if it were freezing out, I can't get the car to a dealership before the heat from the exhaust thaws out the cables and they release. No frozen cables, no cause for repair, no paper trail, no refund on our money.

Help?

~Mike~
I took my '05 in last Spring when the e-brake obviously wasn't frozen and said it was freezing in the winter. They replaced the cables without question. Then I bought an '06 this summer and asked my service writer if I could get the cables replaced before the winter hit. He said as long as the cables that are on there now have part numbers matching the original cables, no problem.

I don't think you're going to have a problem getting the cables replaced when it's not frozen and also I'm pretty sure the defect causing them to freeze is visible, frozen or not.

Just curious - how in the world did you drive the car before the brake cables were thawed? When mine would freeze the car would not budge, although I guess I could have forced it if I gave it enough gas (until I put the clutch in and put myself through the windshield!)
Old 9/21/07 | 06:09 PM
Team Mustang Source

I had mine replaced after they froze a few times last winter. No questions asked, and they were not frozen at the time. The tech said he could see the problem right away when he got it on the rack. He said the rubber boots were rotting away, and he could easily see how water got into the cable and would freeze.
Old 9/21/07 | 08:32 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by MustangLynda
Just curious - how in the world did you drive the car before the brake cables were thawed? When mine would freeze the car would not budge, although I guess I could have forced it if I gave it enough gas (until I put the clutch in and put myself through the windshield!)
The car wasn't really that hard to get moving. Delaware is a pretty flat state, so I don't generaly pull the e-brake all that hard.

~Mike~
Old 9/22/07 | 09:24 PM
GT Member

you should not have a problem getting them replaced under warranty. if you look at the cables you should be able to see and feel the deteriorating boot on the end of the cable were the water gets in and freezes.
Old 9/1/12 | 07:12 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by mrv8outboard
you should not have a problem getting them replaced under warranty. if you look at the cables you should be able to see and feel the deteriorating boot on the end of the cable were the water gets in and freezes.
i know im bringing this thread back form the grave but i searched what ive had/will have more problems with this coming winter. i was just curious, if my parking brake cables have the defective part #s on them from 05 will they be fully covered under warranty to have them replaced? im just curious if anyone can help its greatly appreciated.
Old 9/1/12 | 10:13 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by SilverSkoundrel

i know im bringing this thread back form the grave but i searched what ive had/will have more problems with this coming winter. i was just curious, if my parking brake cables have the defective part #s on them from 05 will they be fully covered under warranty to have them replaced? im just curious if anyone can help its greatly appreciated.
Anybody?
Old 9/2/12 | 07:59 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by SilverSkoundrel
Anybody?
Mine wasn't covered - I had to pay for it a year ago
Old 9/2/12 | 04:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

As far as I know tsb's are covered while under warranty but not after warranty expires. There are instances where the factory will increase warranty coverage on certain problem parts.

I had my 05's park cables replaced just before my warranty expired as I inspected them myself after the frozen cable complaints showed up on this forum years ago. The seal boots had deteriorated with cracks and would tear if lightly pulled on.
Old 12/26/12 | 06:43 PM
Just Plain Rude!

This finally happened to me, or at least I think so. The first 2 inches pulling up on the brake handle is complete free, like it's not actually pulling on anything. And when I get out, I can definitely smell something burning. Mostly the driver's side rear.

Is there anything I can do to help unstick it? And those that have paid to fix it, what did it cost?
Old 12/29/12 | 02:27 PM
Bullitt Member

I had to replace both rear calipers and E-brake cables. Since the '05 the mechanism is internal on the caliper.