Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

2006 with slow to fill gastank

Old 9/21/06, 05:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 with slow to fill gastank

We bought the mustang this summer, and we had the gas tank replaced yesterday. surprise we went in to fill it with gas, and still the same problem. Boy, are we angry!!! What do we do?
Old 9/21/06, 07:48 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Robison520
We bought the mustang this summer, and we had the gas tank replaced yesterday. surprise we went in to fill it with gas, and still the same problem. Boy, are we angry!!! What do we do?
you live with it.

No seriously, some people have reported to this forum that they got the gas tank replaced and it fixed the problem, while others reported that the problem was not fixed. I have the problem with my '05, but when I read about the folks whose problem wasn't fixed after replacement, and other horror stories where a whole bunch of other bad things happened during the replacement, well that just scared me off. So I am living with it.

However, I found a workaround that works quite well. That is to stick the nozzle all the way in the filler hole, and then pull it back an inch or so. If I don't do that the nozzle will keep shutting off during the fill, but when I pull the nozzle back like I described, the tank fills normally and at full pump speed. I've got 12,000 miles on the car now and have been doing this since I realized there was a problem.

Not sure about other states, but in CT we have a vapor recovery system on the pump nozzle that's like a rubber bellows. It seals against the car filler neck so vapors don't come back from the tank during the fill. So when I pull the nozzle out, the bellows is still contacting the filler neck. I just wanted to point out that I'm not pulling the nozzle out so far that it defeats the purpose of the vapor recovery thing.
Old 9/22/06, 07:47 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think there may have been an issue with the early tan ks but the revised tanks fix the flaw. What i have noticed is my car is very finicky as to what pumps it likes and what it does not. Some stations give me hell while other never give one shut off at all until the tank is full. Find a station that the pumps works good at and try to use it all the time when it is possible. I have also found that if you start the pump slowly and let it pump for a few seconds before putting it on high this also helps. But like i said it seem to be a pump issue not a gas tank issue.

Richard
Old 9/22/06, 08:18 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by wjones14
you live with it.

No seriously, some people have reported to this forum that they got the gas tank replaced and it fixed the problem, while others reported that the problem was not fixed. I have the problem with my '05, but when I read about the folks whose problem wasn't fixed after replacement, and other horror stories where a whole bunch of other bad things happened during the replacement, well that just scared me off. So I am living with it.

However, I found a workaround that works quite well. That is to stick the nozzle all the way in the filler hole, and then pull it back an inch or so. If I don't do that the nozzle will keep shutting off during the fill, but when I pull the nozzle back like I described, the tank fills normally and at full pump speed. I've got 12,000 miles on the car now and have been doing this since I realized there was a problem.

Not sure about other states, but in CT we have a vapor recovery system on the pump nozzle that's like a rubber bellows. It seals against the car filler neck so vapors don't come back from the tank during the fill. So when I pull the nozzle out, the bellows is still contacting the filler neck. I just wanted to point out that I'm not pulling the nozzle out so far that it defeats the purpose of the vapor recovery thing.
We don't have bellows up here, heck we only got emissions testing last year.
There is a good chance it is more a pump issue than a tank issue.
C'mon up to NH and try our gas pumps, I've never had even the hint of a problem.
Anyone else up here ever have trouble?
Old 9/22/06, 08:55 PM
GT Member

I think it's more to do with the gas pump than the Mustang tank. I have an '07 GT/CS with zero problem filling here in BC, but we do not have the vapor recovery things on the pumps. When I have travelled down the West Coast and gassed up other cars in Calif. I have had problems filling them occasionally. Just my take on the problem.
Old 9/23/06, 04:49 AM

2006 gas tank problem

The problem with gas tanks is large on the mustang. We have a friend who has a new one and same problem. I see a fellow on the internet with a 2005 and a 2006 with the slow to fill problem. Poor guy has two of them! Ford needs to know about each and every one, and needs to fix the problem to the customers' satisfaction regardless. When a person spends this much money on a car, they should be able to fuel it. We have had all Fords for 30 years, and this is a first. Of course, there have been some problems, but always taken care of. In this case, the mechanic readjusted the hoses now, after the tank being replaced, and he could not get the car to take gas a two different gas stations. He will call Fords 800 number this morning to see what he should do. He is doing what he can, this is a Ford Foo Foo, and they need to recall the cars, and fix the problem.
Old 9/26/06, 07:29 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by tuco
I think it's more to do with the gas pump than the Mustang tank. I have an '07 GT/CS with zero problem filling here in BC, but we do not have the vapor recovery things on the pumps. When I have travelled down the West Coast and gassed up other cars in Calif. I have had problems filling them occasionally. Just my take on the problem.
no, it's an actual problem that's recognized by Ford. See TSB 06-3-13.

I've had a lot of cars in my life, and this one is the only one I've ever experienced a problem with in filling up the tank. In fact, I filled up my '95 GT for 7 years at the same gas station without a single problem, and the first time I tried to fill my '05 GT there, the pump kept shutting off, and then overflowed. But like I said, I still go to that gas station, and have learned that I can fill the tank if I don't stick the nozzle all the way in the filler neck.

Some pumps work better than others (Ford says this in the TSB), so you are just lucky to have pumps that work with the Mustang. But there's definitely a problem...
Old 9/26/06, 05:50 PM
G.T
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the related TSB for 2006 model suggests that the modified design tanks are already fitted, so there's no point replacing the tank.

i'm living with it for the past 10 months now.
one trick.. fill her up when the engine is cold and it fills up all the way.. no shut off, no spills

lucky for me i have a gas station close to work, so i always get to fill it up a minute after i start it, from being parked for 9 hours..
Old 9/26/06, 06:49 PM
Cobra Member

It is a known problem and was really bad on the '05's - something about the vent tube/hose in the tank being kinked or something.....my '05 has this issue and after inspecting the fuel filler line - it looks more like the filler hose is just too small and the fuel can't get down fast enough on full nozzel so it acts as if it's full by kicking back pressure and tripping the shut off. I decided to live with it rather than have my local dealer "pawing" all over my stang. I've found that if you turn the nozzle upside down during fill up it tends to not trip as much - that and fill it slower. Really nothing more than a minor inconvenience anyway (for me at least).
Old 9/26/06, 07:55 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by HOTLAP
It is a known problem and was really bad on the '05's - something about the vent tube/hose in the tank being kinked or something.....my '05 has this issue and after inspecting the fuel filler line - it looks more like the filler hose is just too small and the fuel can't get down fast enough on full nozzel so it acts as if it's full by kicking back pressure and tripping the shut off. I decided to live with it rather than have my local dealer "pawing" all over my stang. I've found that if you turn the nozzle upside down during fill up it tends to not trip as much - that and fill it slower. Really nothing more than a minor inconvenience anyway (for me at least).
Yep I agree. I think the ID of the hose is 3/4" at best way to small. Not to mention after it goes dwon hill it then has to make a uphill climb for the fuel to go into the tank.

Richard
Old 9/27/06, 04:04 AM

We have an engineer coming in to our dealership today to look over paperwork, and our car. I want my car to fuel. Period!
Old 9/27/06, 05:24 AM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Robison520
We have an engineer coming in to our dealership today to look over paperwork, and our car. I want my car to fuel. Period!
do us a favor- if a area rep shows up, take along a couple printouts of a few of the filling threads in here- sooner or later they all do it- seems more often in cold weather, the filler/vent still needs improvement...mine hasnt done it since the 1st/2nd fillups- but both burped gas all down the side of the car and spewed on me too...sooner or later someones gonna get lit up over this 'thing that shouldnt be a problem'.

as mentioned a few posts up, pull nozzle back out an inch or so, set on first click, it usually helps- its pretty obvios when looking under there the filler is way too small, and too long, with a 'trap' in it that hinders venting.
if mine starts acting up agian this winter I'm gonna try bending a 180 in some thin tubing to hook over the top baffle- long enough to go into the tank- should keep open pathway at least till 1/2-3/4 tank, greatly reducing 'volume' of trapped air after filling up rest of the way- seems currently theres NO venting if pouring fuel in fast as simply no room in the tube...Ford should redesign it(shoulda before building 1/4 million of them really) if a couple fires result, theyre gonna get a pinto type problem. I LOVE the car, but the fuel fill and plastic seatback levers(both broke off already- all will if using the seats often- junk) are the kinds of 'shouldnt ever be an issue' things that ought to get someone in engineering a stern talking to and a 'fix your f-up' instruction. odd how obvious trends in warranty claims at best offer a tsb saying- a lot are failing but its normal...it would save them money to fix this crap as early as possible. Fords got a lot of life and death of the company type situations going on internally right now- but 'little stuff' like this is part of the problem- especially when acknowledged and no plans on improving are being looked at.
Old 9/27/06, 08:48 AM
Cobra Member

Yep what he said

RIchard
Old 9/30/06, 05:02 AM

Hi everyone! I did direct our dealership people to this site. I made copies of threads in here, too. Ford sent a purge valve and cannister celanoid to be replaced. The garage thinks it was the purge valve. It did take gas o.k. in town where it previously did not. So, now we will see, when the gas runs down to about 1/4 tank. If we all keep up on this, we can get things done.
Old 10/2/06, 08:38 AM
GT Member

I had the problem for a couple fill-ups in the beginning, but I saw a guy that said he opens the cap and lets it vent while he does his stuf with the card and gets the pump ready. I do that now and never a problem again. Don't know why, but just a thought for those of you that are "just living with it."
Old 10/2/06, 06:18 PM
GT Member

I have had my stang for 10 days short of a year with 3681 miles on it. I never had this problem until 3 tanks ago or I should say 3 fill ups ago. If you do the math and I'm averaging about 250 miles to the tank. That means roughly the first 11 times, it's been perfect and the last 3 haven't.

I don't think it matters how much gas is in the tank. I had the problem when I didn't have much and I had the problem when trying to fill it up with about 10 gals.

The other day after 10 mins and 5 gals, I gave up. It's rediculous to "live with it"!

I did however get better luck by pulling the hose completely out of the hole so that I can actually see the gas flowing into the hole. That worked great until too much vapor and gas filled the hose then it shut off. But if I put it in completely, it shut off after like 3 secs of filling. After about 10 times of doing this, that was enough. I didn't spend $26,000 on a car to sit at a gas station for a half an hour to fill the tank!!!!!

I take it in Wednesday for a check-see.
Old 10/4/06, 01:58 AM
GTR Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Don't stick the nozzle in too deep.

Canister purge valve and canister vent solenoid have nothing to do with filling up gas unless your car is still running.

If your gas tank vent valve was clogged, it would set off a DTC, cause a hissing sound as you opened the gas cap, and do other things.

The most likely case is the filler neck wasn't designed properly causing the nozzle to sit too deep.
Old 10/4/06, 08:11 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I found that if I stop the pump or it gets stopped in the middle of filling, there is no getting it started again. I don't use the fastest setting at the pump as it seems to overfill it slightly. I use the next from fastest and have had no problems that way. Just start it a little slowly, lock the pump and walk around your car to check for new chips and dings while you fill. You may find something that makes you forget all about your tank filling problems. If you don't like that, wash your windshield or something.
Old 10/7/06, 08:55 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

I have an 07. I have filled it up several times so far without any problems.
Old 10/23/06, 12:12 PM
GT Member

OK I decided NOT to take it in to the dealer because I wasn't confident they knew what the problem was.

This morning I went to put some gas in after letting the tank run almost dry. I started to put gas in it and about 2 secs later, yes I said 2 secs, gas comes spurting out all over the car and it continued for like 3 secs. I proceeded to do what I normally would do to bypass this issue and it didn't work. I then tried what other people suggested and that was to turn the nozzle upside down, still no good! I could only put about 2-3 secs of gas in each time. I immediately drove up to the dealership.

The tech came with me to a different station and the same thing happened again except this time it just clicked off instead of exploding all over my car.

The first thing he says is that he would contact Ford engineering and ask them. After we get back to the dealer and he looks up some stuff, he says that they wanted to "check it out" to see what the problem was. THEN he tells me that he remembers another person having a similar issue and they discovered that he had a spider web in the tank causing the issue and thinks that maybe I have a similar problem. WHAT???????????? How the hell does a spider even GET into the tank much less survive long enough to build a house? That's crazy!!!!

So I told him NO, I'm not going to let your guys experiment on my car. Call Ford, ask them and we'll do what they suggest. That's what the tech said he'd do and that's what I want. He then gets all huffy and goes and gets a manager who also gets huffy because I stick to my guns and keep saying no. Then the manager asks me where I bought it, and my reply was that I didn't really understand what that had to do with anything. Then he asked me what I wanted them to do. So I proceeded to tell then yet again.

GEEZ!!!!!!!! What's up with these people? This is a legitamate problem and it needs to be fixed! I understand that there may be a little frustration on their part no being able to fix something but don't you think it's slightly easier saying that? "Um, we're sorry sir, Ford engineering hasn't provided us with a fix as of yet for this problem." I mean how freakin hard is that to say???

It sure is a lot easier on the ears than "Maybe you have a spider in your tank and we want you to give us your baby for a few days so we can take it apart and try to find it."

On the different sation note....That's crap!!!! When was the last time any one of you had someone that told you "hey dude, had a problem with the quik trip down the road...try the P66 station over there by the grocery store, it worked fine" That's just dumb!!!! YES it might work but come on. How many cars of different make and model are on the road? How many millions??? How many have this problem??? Only 05 06 and maybe 07 Ford mustangs????

For me, I was lucky. For the first year, 3700 miles and roughly 20 or so fillups, I didn't have this problem. Why now? I don't know. Maybe the spider got a hooker, knocked her up and now the kids live at home!

Anyone have any Ford engineering contacts?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2006 with slow to fill gastank