Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

2005-2009 Ford Mustang S-197 Gen 1 GT Fog Light Bulb Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 8/9/06, 02:24 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005-2009 Ford Mustang S-197 Gen 1 GT Fog Light Bulb Replacement

The procedures listed in the Owner's Manual are bit too vague in how to replace your fog light bulb...has anyone replaced theirs? If so, is it easy? Any pics? The exact steps?

Thanks!
Old 8/9/06, 07:43 AM
Meet Krissy, Our Star Racer

I replaced them when I installed the Saleen HIDs, so the bumper was already off. I forgot to plug one back in and put the bumper on, and i couldn't for the life of me plug it back in so I had to take the bumper back off a smidge.

It's not too hard once you get it once, and the whole thing doesn't need to come off, but you do need to remove all the hardware. maybe take you 30 mins max.
Old 8/9/06, 08:09 AM
Mach 1 Member

I replaced mine a few weeks ago with the Silverstar bulbs. It is relatively easy. Here are the steps (basically exactly what the owners manual says):

1. Remove the radiator cover (6 plastic screw/pins) my gently prying the "screw" part up and out with a small flat-blade screwdriver. Then pop out the retaining clip.
2. Remove the two (2) bolts at the top of the upright bumper/grill support next to the headlights.
3. Carefully pop the bumper cover off of the little retaining "nipples" located where you just removed the bolts.

Now, here comes the tricky part...

4. Gently pull the grill toward you while working your hand down inside behind the grill.
5. Locate the bulb socket and turn it per the manual instructions to release it.
6. Wiggle it out to where you can work with it.
7. Remove the bulb.
8. Insert new bulb. Be careful NOT to touch the bulb glass.
9. Reverse the removal process.
10. Repeat on the other side.
11. Make sure you have NOT accidentally pulled the power connector off of either bulb.
12. Turn on your fogs to see if they work. If not, check your work and or the bulbs.
13. Reinstall the bolts and radiator cover.
14. Close your hood. Oops!, forgot you should open it first. hehe
15. Enjoy your handi-work.
Old 8/9/06, 08:32 AM
Bullitt Member

Just like 2k5GTC said. I've done mine too, and its easy. Also be careful that you don't bump the metal piece inside the fixture out of place. I did that by accident when I did mine. I ended up having to build a little hook out of wire to try and fish mine back into place.
Old 8/13/06, 06:04 AM
Bullitt Member

It really wasnt as hard as it sounds. Did mine in 15 minutes. Remove the radiator cover, just pop the plastic thingys out. Pry the grill out of the top tabs using a screwdriver - be careful not to bust them. Lean the grill forward enough to get your hand in there and you can disconnect the old bulb and put in the new one. Its tight, it helps to have skinny hands. Done.
Old 8/13/06, 03:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Mark S.
Doesn't sound so easy...looks like about 20 screws have to come out during the process...as usual they made it so that somebody at the dealership will have to do it...hopefully they won't ruin your paintwork, etc., while doing this. Guess the easiest thing to do is only use the fog lamps when you really need them (i.e. fog, bad weather, rain, etc.) and that will keep the fog lights from burning out prematurely and then having to go through that lengthy replacement process.

What would really be helpful would be if someone would post the procedures using pics...the pics would say a lot more than just a bunch of steps listed in the manuals.

Thanks!

Where in my post do you see 20 screws. Sheesh! 6 little pins and two little bolts. You are the type that SHOULD take your car to the dealer and let them do all the little things like this. In fact, you are the type that SHOULD NOT own a Mustang. If you can't follow a simple procedure, you have more issues than burned out foglamps.
Old 8/14/06, 02:16 PM
Bullitt Member

porkster, roger that...

2k5GTC, I guess I was mis-reading the pdf sheet which told you how to remove the entire bumper cover...it stated...
Front Bumper Cover
Removal and Installation
1. Remove the 6 pin-type retainers and the upper
radiator sight shield.
2. Remove the 2 upper front bumper cover bolts.
3. Remove the 6 front fender splash shield-to-front
bumper cover screws.
4. If equipped, remove the 6 front bumper cover-to-valence panel screws.
5. Position the front splash shield aside and
6. If equipped, disconnect the 2 fog lamp cover-to-valance panel screws.
electrical connectors.
7. Disconnect the 4 side marker lamp electrical remove the 4 front bumper cover. reinforcement nuts.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I do try to keep visits to the dealership to a minimum...(e.g. changing the oil in a C5 Vette is a real trip since the drain plug faces forward which means that normal ramps don't help...you have to jack the rear up in order to get all of the oil out..but, I won't let the dealership screw with changing the oil in the Vette...thankfully, this GT is easy when it comes to changing the filter and oil).
Old 8/14/06, 02:47 PM
Big Falken Tires

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah just remove the grill - its lots easier than the whole bumper.....

[it was good to meet you Sat Lisa - sorry I caught up with you so late!]
Old 8/14/06, 04:41 PM
Bullitt Member

The first time I did it, it was a 20 minute job. If I had to do it again, I could do it in 5.