Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

05 GT Auto Transmission Fluid Change

Search this Thread

Old 5/23/17, 04:21 PM
V6 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
05 GT Auto Transmission Fluid Change

Hi I tried doing a search for 05 GT auto transmission fluid change and I couldn't get any real definitive answers as when to change it. I found one thing from ford that said 150K miles for a fluid change. That seems awfully high. Then I came across some flush and no flush stuff. Anyways does someone have some real experience? Should this be left to the dealer or can a good tranny (not transvestite) shop do the change? How many miles? Flush or No flush? Is it better to use synthetic? Thanks in advance.
Old 5/24/17, 09:45 AM
V6 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
No flush,drop the pan and change the filter.

RedGT
Old 5/24/17, 10:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by darcman
I found one thing from ford that said 150K miles for a fluid change.
That's what the Ford 2005 Model Year Schedule Maintenance Guide says. It doesn't mean you can't change it sooner if you feel the car is used in a more severe condition like winter temps or heavy use of the throttle, hint-hint.
If the 5R55S trans is the one in your car it uses MerconV according to 2005 owners manual. Apparently there's no dipstick so if you do it yourself make sure you collect all the used fluid to measure how much drained and put the same amount and maybe just a bit more to account for wastage.
You should look up the procedure for changing the fluid and filter if it has one before you begin, as a hoist may be needed, I'm not sure.

Good Luck.
Old 6/10/17, 10:06 AM
V6 Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Ford says 150,000 miles? My 07 only made it to 117,000 before it took a dump. You can't rely on what Ford says. Shame on them for no dipstick on a weak pathetic transmission. Must have been a Mark Fields $$$$ decision.