Rocket City Mustang Club Huntsville, Alabama Chapter of The Mustang Club of America

Is it wrong to be a Ford fanatic and dispise Carroll Shelby?

Search this Thread

Old 4/14/10, 02:44 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it wrong to be a Ford fanatic and dispise Carroll Shelby?

We all know he's the father of the infamous Shelby Mustang, the holy grail of all us Mustang owners. I just can't help but cringe when I hear his name lately because of all his antics from the last few years.

Anyone else?
Old 4/14/10, 03:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Lawn Ornament
We all know he's the father of the infamous Shelby Mustang, the holy grail of all us Mustang owners. I just can't help but cringe when I hear his name lately because of all his antics from the last few years.

Anyone else?
Do you hate him personally or his company?
Old 4/14/10, 04:07 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 342 Likes on 215 Posts
Originally Posted by Lawn Ornament
We all know he's the father of the infamous Shelby Mustang...

... and the father of the 39 Shelby emblems on the new GT350.

Old 4/14/10, 04:16 PM
Cobra R Member

I salute you and no, it's not wrong. He's a money grubbing 'ho and I personnally want no association w/him.
Old 4/14/10, 06:52 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Cool

He WAS an important contributor to Mustang history.
He is now a relic,a name brand and a nice old man.
My dad is older, in better shape and more active.
Old 4/14/10, 06:56 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
He is a risk taker become racing legend become businessman become seasoned citizen now in his twilight years. Let him have his day. I mean he did earn his ego in a very tough and extremely competitive industry...
Old 4/15/10, 06:14 AM
Mach 1 Member

You are right, Josh, even though I own a Shelby and love the old cars, he's just a money grubber in his old age - never saw a lawsuit he didn't like!
Old 4/15/10, 06:23 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

I never liked him, his first comment on the Mustang was that it was a secretary's car, and then proceeded to make millions on a car that he initially despised. He claimed in an interview that he turned the Mustang into a muscle car. Ego is overinflated, products are overpriced. I personally try to avoid anything with someone else's name (Shelby) plastered all over it. It reminds me of a girl with a tatoo of some other guy's name on her....dash or rear trunk lid.
Old 4/15/10, 09:49 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by mgreene
You are right, Josh, even though I own a Shelby and love the old cars, he's just a money grubber in his old age - never saw a lawsuit he didn't like!

That's precisely my feeling. I know his history but that doesn't give him the right to try and sue everyone that makes a car or a part that could possibly resemble something he may have had his name on or even once thought about making.

This all came about from someone telling me they owned a (Ford) GT that was designed by Shelby. That's the reason for the question yesterday, Mike.
Old 4/15/10, 09:53 AM
Mach 1 Member

Here's the designer:

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/01/15/f...the-blue-oval/
Old 4/15/10, 01:13 PM
Cobra Member

The word is, "despise."

Pardon the interruption, carry on....
Old 4/15/10, 01:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

Last year at the annual Mid-America Shelby Meet here in Tulsa, Shelby American was supposed to get a die-cast signed by Carroll to one of the guys in the club. When he went to ask about it, the guy in the trailer was a total jack-a$$. The guy never got the car either. I understand that Shelby is a major sponsor, but how about some PR? Cripes. I'll never buy anything with the name Shelby on it after that.
Old 4/16/10, 08:55 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by LMan
The word is, "despise."

Pardon the interruption, carry on....

Thanks, Grammar Cop!
Old 4/17/10, 10:11 AM
Bullitt Member

The only feelings I have towards Carroll Shelby is "jealousy"... I wish I had the smarts and the know how to take someone else's car and make it into A multy billion dollar business that will be worth a lot more when I die!!!

Thank You, That is all I can say about that!!

Money is what drives all of us! It difines what we are...gives us character, gives us a spot in society, or gives us what we are missing when mother nature missed to give us good looks.

Hate the Game, Not the Player!
Old 4/17/10, 11:06 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Family is what drives most people values. Money is what makes people that feel bad about themselfs feel better. I am not saying this as a churchie or a guy without funds either. I buy a new mustng daily driver every year or so.

The fact is Shelby is a bitter old man that hates that hes getting old and trying to sue and brand everything with his name before he dies surrounded by family thats counting his "money".
Old 4/17/10, 11:31 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Apparently a lot of people have never been in their own business or created something very special that's worth protecting.

When you sweat bullets and juggle payroll and fight competition for years, finally establish your business on solid ground, then keep after it as it grows into a multi-million dollar empire... are you then going to simply let people walk over you and steal your name? steal your royalties? steal your trademarks? steal from your kids and grandkids???

No, you can't take it with you, but while you're alive, no one is going to protect your creation like you are.

Sure its about money. But its about more than money too. Its about protecting your reputation, your empire, and your name from those that would sell subpar products, slap your label on it, and then damage your reputation; and from those that steal from you by circumventing royalty payments and trademark laws. You steal from me and you better pack your lunch because its going to be a long and bloody war.
Old 4/17/10, 07:53 PM
GT Member

Personally, I don't like him either. I agree about working to make all that money, and achieve all that fame and popularity. However, when a club dedicated to preserving that product and your name does something you don't like and you sue them for it, I don't have a hell of a lot of use for you OR your products after that. I don't know the details of his suit against SAAC, but I can **** sure say I know enough that I don't like it. As far as Zmax goes, I think that's a bunch of B.S. as well. If anyone turned the Mustang into a muscle car, it was Bob Tasca and Ford Motor Company. The 428CJ gave the Mustang it's true muscle aura, and it's had it ever since then. Shelby needs to just let his legend grow and put himself out to pasture.
Old 4/18/10, 10:59 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
Apparently a lot of people have never been in their own business or created something very special that's worth protecting.

When you sweat bullets and juggle payroll and fight competition for years, finally establish your business on solid ground, then keep after it as it grows into a multi-million dollar empire... are you then going to simply let people walk over you and steal your name? steal your royalties? steal your trademarks? steal from your kids and grandkids???

No, you can't take it with you, but while you're alive, no one is going to protect your creation like you are.

Sure its about money. But its about more than money too. Its about protecting your reputation, your empire, and your name from those that would sell subpar products, slap your label on it, and then damage your reputation; and from those that steal from you by circumventing royalty payments and trademark laws. You steal from me and you better pack your lunch because its going to be a long and bloody war.
Well said!!

Steve Saleen and Jack Roush...just to name a few have tryed to do the same thing as Carroll Shelby. Take the base mustang put their name on it and make it their own. although successfull, never in the same level as Carroll Shelby. Look what happened to Steve Saleen's Company...

You've got to protect whats yours! if you don't, there are a lot of wolfs disguised in sheeps clothing that will take you and everythig that defines you in a heart beat!
Old 4/18/10, 11:06 AM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I've felt this way for a long long time. he made a few good cars back in the day, but hes got no business in this business anymore
Old 4/18/10, 11:52 AM
Cobra Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cdynaco

cdynaco, I agree with your statement as well. We live in a society though where some people look down on those that are very successful. The rich keep getting richer because they hang on to what they've earned and continue to grow it. Who has intermittent wipers in their car? Google that and get back to me. kennyg