Rocket City Mustang Club Huntsville, Alabama Chapter of The Mustang Club of America

Traffic enforcement crackdown

Search this Thread

Old 8/12/07, 08:11 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Traffic enforcement crackdown

This was also on the local news station. Better watch out.

"Most of the media coverage has been focused lately on the Troopers’ “Take Back Our Highways” program from Aug. 13<SUP>th</SUP>–17<SUP>th</SUP>, but other departments across the state have been asked to join them in next week’s efforts. And remember, theLabor Day “Drunk Driving: Over the Limit, Under Arrest” campaign will run nation-wide from Aug. 17 - Sept. 3<SUP>rd</SUP>.
Every state trooper with arrest powers (200 additional troopers) will be on duty next week. There will be a trooper every 10 miles (or less) on every interstate. But other roads will be patrolled as well.
Though officers have certain violations on which they’ll be focusing, ALL traffic laws will be enforced. So be mindful of common driving violations, such as (but not limited to):
not completely stopping at a stop sign, not completely stopping at a red light (even if you can turn right on red when clear – you’re supposed to stop first), not blinking to change lanes or to make turns, driving less than 3 seconds behind a vehicle in front of you (tailgating), DUI, speeding and reckless driving. I’ve been told that if you’re going1mph over the speed limit, you’ll get a ticket. Be extra careful in “school zones”, since schools will be back in session during this time. Make sure you stay within your lane – if one tire swerves out of your lane, that’s “probable cause” to pull you over.
They’ll also be checking for lights, brakes, driver licenses, proof of insurance, proof of vehicle registration, seat belt use, and child safety seats, among others."
Old 8/12/07, 08:54 PM
V6 Member

I figured the locals would be in on this also. Thanks for the additional information about the 17th to the 3rd.

I already told the wife to watch out since she is the one with a lead foot anyways.
Old 8/13/07, 05:02 AM
legacy Tms Member

Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts
i wish it were always this way
Old 8/13/07, 08:09 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Venmus
Every state trooper with arrest powers (200 additional troopers) will be on duty next week. There will be a trooper every 10 miles (or less) on every interstate. But other roads will be patrolled as well.
Eh? Every 10 miles on every interstate? And other roads?

"I don't think so, Tim." - Al Borland
Old 8/13/07, 08:22 AM
Cobra Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by HOSS429
It is, your just going 40 in a 45! Actually they (you know them) have been writing the failure to stop before turning right on red at THE traffic light in Hazel Green for several months, mostly Sherrifs have been parked behind the garage on the corner. Other day I drove by a red Pinto so fast you would of thought it was standing still. Oh, it was standing still! kennyg
Old 8/13/07, 09:41 AM
Mach 1 Member

Yep, just what we need - more gov't interference - don't know about you, but the taxes I pay to keep the state troopers employed should not be used to have them write me a ticket for doing 5 mph over the arbitrarily designated speed limit!
Old 8/13/07, 10:32 AM
legacy Tms Member

you guys need to ride in a front heavy stiff sprung pinto and you will see that going 40 seems like going 60 .. i`m just never in a hurry to get anywhere .. iv`e been working at my current job for 18 years and have been late once .. i helped a lady change a flat.. now i do get on my stuff regularly when i see a nice clearing .. but in traffic ya`ll can have the road . i have several pics of those little " crosses " you see at various stopsigns and intersections that i may post .. just some kids in a hurry to get somewhere .. well : they got to heaven i hope ..
Old 8/13/07, 11:39 AM
Mach 1 Member

i have several pics of those little " crosses " you see at various stopsigns and intersections
Yes, stop signs and intersections - probably caused by running them or not paying attention - but going 5-10 mph over the "marked" speed limit is probably not the cause. I don't like tailgaters, redlight runners, or non-signallers either, but draconian enforcement of arbitrary speed limits is not tax dollars well spent.
Old 8/13/07, 12:33 PM
legacy Tms Member

55 is a good #

xxxx
Old 8/13/07, 01:07 PM
legacy Tms Member

i quess i associate going fast with being in a hurry when i should`nt
Old 8/13/07, 01:18 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is the answer one of these is Hoss's ole lady ?
Old 8/13/07, 11:49 PM
Bullitt Member

i think GA got a jump on this one early.. we got a ticket last week on the way back from myrtle beach .... it is setting us back somewhere around $200ish .. I called their courthouse to find out how much it was gonna be.. and the ticket states "you have 1 month from the day the ticket is issued to pay or a warrant for your arresst will be issued" So i call them.. and the lady asks for the number off the ticket.. now keep in mind this is a lil over a week later... she comes back on the phone and says " mam we dont have the ticket on file yet" me: "when will it be on there?" lady : "well you can call back in 3 to 4 weeks and it SHOULD be in the system" uhm....... i'll be sitting in your jail for not paying the ticket by then!!!!! GAH... some people drive me insane.. some drive me nuts... the rest i just wanna slap them for their stupidity!
Old 8/14/07, 06:56 PM

I drove down to Tuscaloosa this morning about 4 am and of course, I didn't see one trooper on the road. About 12ish coming back though, every time I blinked I saw at least one with someone pulled over.
Old 8/16/07, 11:05 AM
Mach 1 Member

my whole take on this is they had to make up for the no sales tax weekend
Old 8/16/07, 11:59 AM
Bullitt Member

I bet he's dead right......personally, I think if they did this year round, we would have less problems, and lower taxes.....but then again, I also think there should be a long distance high speed route on the highways that requires a special driving course and training and license in order to drive on....I would think like a HOV lane that is closed off from the rest, and your vehicle must meet certain specifications, and say set that speed limit to 100 MPH or 120....something like that.....(btw, I drove my dodge neon at 110 to work every day in germany...got passed too. I think if they offered that as well it would decrease un necessary speeding, because I'm sure are gary will tell you, doing 75 feels like your crawling after working in germany...people flash their lights at you if your not doing at least 80 on the bahn. too bad it will never happen.....I fear there are too many incompetent drivers here who are basically just handed a license.
Old 8/16/07, 12:08 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by virginiavenom
too bad it will never happen.....
Rudy Stanko in his Camaro...
Ruined it for all of us.
Old 8/16/07, 12:26 PM
Bullitt Member

huh? rudy stanko? am I too young for this ralph? please explain....I'm only 21.
Old 8/16/07, 12:28 PM
Cobra R Member

Google him. He was 50 at the time.
This is your homework assignment.

*hint*
Montana at one time had no speed limit.
Old 8/16/07, 12:36 PM
Bullitt Member

ya, ok I gotcha. he didn't ruin it...he was doing 85 for cryin out loud....85 feels perfectly safe to all real sports cars ever built. heck, I and my neon both felt safe and sturdy with no real inclination to slow down even during corners or bends in the road at 110.
Old 8/16/07, 03:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I like the high speed lane "idea" but the way it is, in Alabama as far as the Interstate goes, when Granny can pull right out of Wal-Mart right on to I-65, Pig Farmer Brown from BF Cullman can pull out on to I-65 in his (wouldn't pass inspection if we had it) "pickup" just for two miles, then exits when he could have just stayed on the back roads mind you, and then all the retired people in motorhomes that don't have to have a CDL for reasons I don't know why...It's dangerous out there.
I'm all for Vehicle Inspections and age re-tests if it would make the Interstate safer and more usable. I wish I had a picture of every piece of running junk that I've seen on Alabama Interstate roads alone. It would be an album full !

Quick Reply: Traffic enforcement crackdown