Rocket City Mustang Club Huntsville, Alabama Chapter of The Mustang Club of America

Thanks Puter for some clarity on cast/steel dizzy gears

Search this Thread

Old 10/13/09, 08:22 PM
Cobra Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks Puter for some clarity on cast/steel dizzy gears

Have called the parts store many times looking for a distributor for a custom app only to have them ask steel or cast gear. In my thinking, I shouldn't have to make that kind of decision. Recently purchased an HEI distributor on a popular auction site. Its cool, looks good, should work great for me. It's going in my '68 Cougar with a 289, 4 bbl, aluminum intake, vintage aluminum valve covers, and a 20+ year old thumpin camshaft. I showed Puter the dizzy the other day and he points out that it has a steel gear on it and asks what cam Im running?! He made it simple without getting into year, manufacturer or anything else and simply said, 'steel/steel, cast/cast'. Thanks for possibly saving me some additional expense. kennyg
Old 10/13/09, 09:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
we only ask at the auto parts store because we are not allowed to assume anything, someone walks in and asks for a distributor for a 68 ford mustang,

the parts guy does not ask about the gear and just hands him a distributor,
little did the parts guy know the 302 was out or a 91 mustang gt and he needed an older distributor to not need to swap in all the electronics.

who is wrong, the parts guy for not asking, or the customer for not explaining all the info.
does not matter, because the parts store would be buying the customer a new engine since the parts guy didn't ask and just assumed.

i know it sounds stupid to ask some sometimes irrelevant questions, but they are there because someone had that problem.

not to mention most parts guys don't know a piston from a nail.
Old 10/14/09, 06:39 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Rogue
we only ask at the auto parts store because we are not allowed to assume anything, someone walks in and asks for a distributor for a 68 ford mustang,

the parts guy does not ask about the gear and just hands him a distributor,
little did the parts guy know the 302 was out or a 91 mustang gt and he needed an older distributor to not need to swap in all the electronics.

who is wrong, the parts guy for not asking, or the customer for not explaining all the info.
does not matter, because the parts store would be buying the customer a new engine since the parts guy didn't ask and just assumed.

i know it sounds stupid to ask some sometimes irrelevant questions, but they are there because someone had that problem.

not to mention most parts guys don't know a piston from a nail.
I'm not saying it is wrong for the parts store to ask cast/steel. My experience has been with older engines and use to never have to put any thought into that issue. But now that you mention it, when the parts guy asks the question, can he explain it? If not he should ask a coworker with more experience, such as you, who can clarify. It is impossible to know everything about every make and model. My years of experience behind the parts counter taught me alot!, and I recommend any car nut to get a part time job at a parts store, not for the money but for a better understanding of all automotive problems. Also to be noted that the computer, the customer, and counterman, are not always right. They can all work together to solve the parts problem, and sometimes it is necessary to get out the book! So...now I have this new HEI distributor with a steel gear and I need a cast gear to go with my oldschool camshaft. Happy motoring! kennyg
Old 10/14/09, 07:38 AM
Mach 1 Member

is this for a sbc or sbf?

for 289/302's Part Number: 90455

for 305/350/454 ect Part Number:90455

they run about 12.99/e,

Autozone does not stock them, but with this part number any other should be able to cross them.
Old 10/14/09, 08:25 PM
Cobra Member

Rogue, Thanks for the info. I just ordered one from Midway Auto Supply for $14.99 + shipping. http://www.midwayautosupply.com/
kennyg
Old 10/15/09, 10:02 AM
Cobra R Member

Kenny, have you ever put one on? I changed out the gear on my Duraspark when I dropped it in a roller engine. It's not that difficult, but the measurement from the base to the gear is critical. Hopefully the gear comes with instructions.

Anyway, you are welcome!
Old 10/15/09, 06:05 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Puter
Kenny, have you ever put one on? I changed out the gear on my Duraspark when I dropped it in a roller engine. It's not that difficult, but the measurement from the base to the gear is critical. Hopefully the gear comes with instructions.

Anyway, you are welcome!
No I havn't changed one, but I figured as much. The gear on the dizzy has a much taller collar than the one pictured that I ordered, and from what I've read on other gear listings, they dont have the hole predrilled. kennyg
Old 10/15/09, 06:31 PM
Cobra R Member

No, they are not pre-drilled. you can do a few things. The gear is an interference fit. Heat the gear and chill the shaft. Mark where the gear should go. Also mark or remember where the original hole is. Get the gear where it should be. You can also use a press. I did this the last time. Now, drill the hole perpendicular to the original.