Rocket City Mustang Club Huntsville, Alabama Chapter of The Mustang Club of America

Steering Wheel Problems

Search this Thread

Old 7/11/08, 02:21 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Steering Wheel Problems

I am having problems installing a grant steering wheel. When I put the hub on the shaft and tighten it down the turn signals don't blink. But when I loosen it so far they start blinking. What is causing this problem?

I am using kit 3294.
Old 7/11/08, 03:02 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Well the steering wheel is on. The nut just isn't fully tightened. I don't think it will come off. Does anyone think it will? I was thinking the spring behind it would have enough force to make it unable to move.
Old 7/11/08, 07:08 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok, I normally dont say much online anymore but I have to make two comments / suggestions. One stop driving the mustang with the carb "spraying" / leaking fuel, if its enough to cause a drip, its enough to cause a fire.... if it catches on fire while you are driving the car is gone...period, new paint and all. If you have stopped driving it, good. Now save up for a $400 carb or order a cheaper parts house carb.... you will be much happier with a carb that works correctly and the gas you save will pay for it in time. Two, do not drive that car with the steering wheel nut loose! One loose nut behind the wheel is enough (Joke) Putting after market steering wheels on are always tricky and even the pros have to take it apart and re-assemble it a few times to get it right. Do they have a web sight you can check (grant.com)? if not chase down Mberglo, I am sure he is busy but five minutes of his time will save you hours... Three, yes I said two but I have one more. Buy the header and increase the exhaust flow significantly and you can plan on re-jetting the 1v carb or lean out the motor, jet kits out there? Maybe a std holley jet will fit.... I dont know. I really think if you get a re-man carb, leave the exhaust alone and work with that steering wheel kit a bit you will be much happier and have a much safer car. These are all just my opinions and please take them or leave them. And before the english majors start in ( You know who you are LOL) ...yes I am aware of the grammar errors
Old 7/11/08, 10:14 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

I put silicone gasket maker on the accelerator pump to make a good seal. Now it doesn't shoot gas out, it just runs rich. Grant Steering doesn't have really good instructions to me. My dad gets back in town tomorrow and I am going to have him help me make sure the steering wheel is on good. I actually drove it around tonight with it. My dad was the 1 who put it on his truck, so maybe he can help me with my car.

I am working on getting a new carb, and new carb would mean no headers.
Old 7/12/08, 07:25 AM
GT Member

Sounds like your closer to being on the right track. be aware that most silicone and gasket makers will not hold up to gasoline very long. SO BE CAREFUL Driving it.
Old 7/12/08, 08:01 AM
Cobra Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BA Mustang
I am having problems installing a grant steering wheel. When I put the hub on the shaft and tighten it down the turn signals don't blink. But when I loosen it so far they start blinking. What is causing this problem?

I am using kit 3294.
Loosen the two nuts holding the steering column up to the bottom of the dash. Gently twist and push the column down towards the steering box about 1/4". Tighten the two nuts back up and try installing the steering wheel kit again. You should be able to get the blinkers to work now. Make sure you have the steering wheel nut to shaft tight and the bolts holding the wheel to the adapter tight. Any other adjustments should be made by moving the column up and down. Every Grant steering wheel I've ever installed has been nothing but a PITA. kennyg
Old 7/12/08, 08:39 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Ok I will have to try that. Thanks
Old 7/12/08, 08:42 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Worst case I'd keep a big pair of vise grips hany, just incase it popped off while you were movin.
Old 7/12/08, 08:56 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

If it pops off I will put it back on after I slam on the brakes. It drove fine last night with it. I just have to bent the turn signal handle because I hit it with my hand when I turn. It is about 3/4" away from the wheel.
Old 7/12/08, 09:26 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

I only have 2 pictures right now. This is before I take it apart. Wheel is dirty because it hasn't been on a car in over 2 years.
Attached Thumbnails Steering Wheel Problems-106_6968.jpg   Steering Wheel Problems-106_6969.jpg  
Old 7/13/08, 07:14 AM
Cobra Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Your dash trim and radio bezel don't match your instrument bezel and heater control panel. kennyg
Old 7/13/08, 08:45 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

It has been like that for at least 3 years. 2 POs ago had it like this.
Old 7/13/08, 03:28 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Well I messed up big time. We ended up putting the old wheel back on. Took awhile to put the old one back on because we kept having a short. The Grant installation kit isn't very good at all. Don't recommend it to anyone. Didn't work on my mustang waste of $20.
Old 7/13/08, 04:52 PM
V6 Member

Are you sure you had the correct adapter? There are different ones depending on the make and model and year of the vehicle. I have had a Grant wheel in my VW for years and never had a problem.
Old 7/13/08, 07:04 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Yes, I also checked the grant site to make sure. It just didn't want to work.