Rocket City Mustang Club Huntsville, Alabama Chapter of The Mustang Club of America

Staticx

Search this Thread

Old 10/17/08, 07:38 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Staticx

Hey, does anyone know how much staticx will charge to tune up my cobra? I am getting a 2.81" supercharger pulley and it requires a tuner that will run around $360. I was wondering what they would charge for the labor on the tune up.

also, my internets down. should have it back up by tonight!
Old 10/17/08, 11:00 AM
Mach 1 Member

last i heard they do not have sct dont know about diablo,
Old 10/17/08, 11:42 AM

Why don't you try a mail-order tune from Rick at Amazon Tuning Solutions. He's tuned numerous Cobras and his mail order tunes are spot on. He's who I went through on mine. For some reason I think that the programmer and a tune from him is in the $400 range. Usually you can step up to a lifetime tune for another $50. I just went up and did a few WOT pulls on a dyno and logged the A/F and it was spot on a 11.7 the entire time.

http://www.amazonracing.com/index.html
Old 10/17/08, 03:03 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Call them
Old 10/20/08, 07:35 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by sassafras
Why don't you try a mail-order tune from Rick at Amazon Tuning Solutions. He's tuned numerous Cobras and his mail order tunes are spot on. He's who I went through on mine. For some reason I think that the programmer and a tune from him is in the $400 range. Usually you can step up to a lifetime tune for another $50. I just went up and did a few WOT pulls on a dyno and logged the A/F and it was spot on a 11.7 the entire time.

http://www.amazonracing.com/index.html
Alright, ill give that a shot, what kind of stang do you have?
Old 10/20/08, 07:56 AM
Mach 1 Member

Also with the mail in order tune, would i need to take it to someone to have it done? Or could i just plug it in and let it work it out
Old 10/20/08, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by mustang6804
Alright, ill give that a shot, what kind of stang do you have?
I've got a 04 Black Cobra Convertible. If you do decide to go through Rick he'll should send you the tune loaded up on the handheld tuner already. If not all you need to do is download a little software from SCT and hook the tuner up to your computer via USB and upload the tune to it. Flashing a new tune is extremly simple, just hook your tuner up to your OBDII port and tell it you want to flash over the new tune. It'll guide you through turning the car on/off etc.

If you need any help with it, shoot me a PM and I'll be more than glad to swing buy and help out. Also with X2 or X3 handheld tuners, you can set it up to datalog so you can get information like your fuel trim, duty cycle, temperature...etc.

Who is installing your pulley? If you plan on doing it yourself you'll need a pulley puller to get the old one off of the snout of the supercharger.
Old 10/21/08, 06:47 AM
Mach 1 Member

i wasnt planning on doing it myself, but i was debating on who to take it to. I wouldnt have the money to buy the puller as well as the tuner and pulley. But the tune sounds like it should b easy. I just need to get the money together to get the stuff.
Old 10/22/08, 07:38 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by sassafras
I've got a 04 Black Cobra Convertible. If you do decide to go through Rick he'll should send you the tune loaded up on the handheld tuner already. If not all you need to do is download a little software from SCT and hook the tuner up to your computer via USB and upload the tune to it. Flashing a new tune is extremly simple, just hook your tuner up to your OBDII port and tell it you want to flash over the new tune. It'll guide you through turning the car on/off etc.

If you need any help with it, shoot me a PM and I'll be more than glad to swing buy and help out. Also with X2 or X3 handheld tuners, you can set it up to datalog so you can get information like your fuel trim, duty cycle, temperature...etc.

Who is installing your pulley? If you plan on doing it yourself you'll need a pulley puller to get the old one off of the snout of the supercharger.
O yeah, by any chance do you work with or for NASA in anyway? My dad said that either one of his bosses or his co-workers had an 04 black vert.
Old 10/22/08, 10:15 AM

I work for Miltec in research park. But I know of 2 other black 03/04 verts around here. Both are 2003 10th anniversary ones. I'm also 25 so I don't think I'm old enough to be anyones boss.
Old 10/23/08, 06:49 AM
Mach 1 Member

lol ok, just wondering. thanx for the info on the tune and stuff.
Old 10/28/08, 05:15 PM

Mail order tunes make me sad
Old 10/29/08, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by twnscw
Mail order tunes make me sad
So you are saying for such a simple tune (ie pulley swap) from a reputable tuner who has tuned countless cobras, then going and having your a/f checked (before you do anything stupid like make boost) and datalogging several parameters to make sure everything is ok, all of this makes you sad? You don't just by the tune, you are buying support from them as well. The tune I got was spot on, 11.7 a/f that held steady.

I can understand your sentiment when you are stepping up to a twinscrew with alot of boost, going with some spray, or just wanting to push the engine to near max, these situations you would be ignorant not to get a proper dyno tune. But for what the OP wants, a mail order tune, (not a canned tune), is fine.
Old 10/30/08, 07:27 AM
Mach 1 Member

So your tune worked out well, and you just plugged it in and did it yourself? I would have no problem doing that except i dont feel like buying the pulley tool to remove the old one and put the smaller one on. I think thats too much with the tuner and the pulley and belt.