Rocket City Mustang Club Huntsville, Alabama Chapter of The Mustang Club of America

Project: 1964 Fairlane 500

Search this Thread

Old 1/1/08, 07:01 PM
Cobra Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Project: 1964 Fairlane 500

Finally getting to work on my 1964 Ford Fairlane 500 4 door sedan. My grandmother bought this car new, dad drove it in the mid seventies, and I drove it to high school and college. Had previously pulled the front cap. Today I removed the 260 2-V engine and will be rebuilding it over the next month or so. Got lucky and removed most fasteners with ease, thanks in some cases to liberal doses of PB Blaster. Only broke two things in the process, one a throttle ball that I thought snapped in but it actually needed to have a nut removed, and the second was the firewall to head ground wire, it was late in the day, and I have the habit of putting fasteners back in right after removing them to keep up with their location. I had just removed the screw retaining the ground wire at the firewall, then hooked it back up! Not bad breakage though for an old engine removal. This is an AC car and the system still had a little pressure on it after sitting many years. The last time it was driven was 1991. Will post some pics and progress report as it proceeds. kennyg
Old 1/2/08, 12:43 PM
Cobra Member

Here's the Fairlane in June of 1991 (same as my current avatar). The engine expired late that year. Hail storm on fringes of tornado in May of 1995 (?) took its toll on the roof, hood, and decklid leaving behind deep dents and cracked paint leading to rust developing under the paint and releasing it....kennyg
Old 1/12/08, 07:51 AM
Cobra Member

Update! Removed the heads and intake last night from the 260. Found the problem with the engine, burnt exhaust valve on #4 cylinder head. There was no ridge at all on the cylinders, I'm hoping to re-ring the engine along with new bearings, gaskets, and a valve job. kennyg
Old 1/12/08, 09:52 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kennyg
Here's the Fairlane in June of 1991
Yeah, but who's that young guy in the picture?