Rocket City Mustang Club Huntsville, Alabama Chapter of The Mustang Club of America

Paint Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 11/30/09, 06:38 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Paint Recommendations

Ok, I have set aside some money for buying my paint for the mustang. I don't know what company to use. I'd love to use HOK(brandywine ), but they are over my budget. Considering DuPont, PPG, and Planet Color(Sherwin Williams Custom Paint). What would you guys recommend? Who have you bought the paint from?

I'm looking for a color similar to Brandywine or Apple Red Candy.
Old 11/30/09, 06:40 PM
BoogieNights Studios:
Official Fluffer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I use only PPG when I paint cars. I have had the best luck with them. I buy it from an auto body paint and supply store only.
Old 11/30/09, 06:42 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

My dad works for PPG, I might be able to get a discount. He said their paint is good and so is DuPonts.
Old 11/30/09, 06:45 PM
BoogieNights Studios:
Official Fluffer

On my Celica I got Dupont form a body shop that it was in and also PPG. I like the PPG look better.
Old 11/30/09, 06:48 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
I have very little auto paint experience, but I was very pleased with the PPG product I used.

Plus I trust Dirk's opinion on this as he is a paint and body expert.
Old 11/30/09, 07:02 PM
BoogieNights Studios:
Official Fluffer

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
I have very little auto paint experience, but I was very pleased with the PPG product I used.

Plus I trust Dirk's opinion on this as he is a paint and body expert.

Yeah but Gary there are poeple out there that would never use PPG and stick with Dupont. Since the HOK is out of his price range to me the PPG is best. If he wouldnt have said that about HOK I would have said HOK or PPG.
Old 11/30/09, 07:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my paint was Daimont, mfg is BASF, it is one of the top paints in the industry, but you pay for what you get,

1 gallon of my base was 850.00(including hardener and thinner made 2 gallons)this was a midnight blue with blue and purple pearl.
Daimont glamor clear cost 185.00 per gallon, we applied alot, 5 coats of base and 7 coats of clear. (i have about 1/4 of the base and clear for touchups)

the wifes mustang was Dupont, i wish i went with something else, it was a great paint in the beginning but now i wish it was better.

Jake, i was first going to go with a HOK candy type paint, remember all true candy paints have a metalic base(silver or gold) then a transparent color(something between a clear and a base) over the metalic, and then a clear coat. did you see the cool shells, they have, has a silver or gold then a color over it and you can try different colors.

if you coat heavy or thin in places you will see it in the paint as light and dark spots.

a 2 coat system is alot easier, base & clear it also can be touched up, candy you have to at a minimum paint the whole pannel that neads a touchup, not just a spot and blend.

Last edited by Rogue; 11/30/09 at 07:40 PM. Reason: more to say
Old 11/30/09, 07:56 PM
BoogieNights Studios:
Official Fluffer

Originally Posted by Rogue
my paint was Daimont, mfg is BASF, it is one of the top paints in the industry, but you pay for what you get,

1 gallon of my base was 850.00(including hardener and thinner made 2 gallons)this was a midnight blue with blue and purple pearl.
Daimont glamor clear cost 185.00 per gallon, we applied alot, 5 coats of base and 7 coats of clear. (i have about 1/4 of the base and clear for touchups)

the wifes mustang was Dupont, i wish i went with something else, it was a great paint in the beginning but now i wish it was better.

Jake, i was first going to go with a HOK candy type paint, remember all true candy paints have a metalic base(silver or gold) then a transparent color(something between a clear and a base) over the metalic, and then a clear coat. did you see the cool shells, they have, has a silver or gold then a color over it and you can try different colors.

if you coat heavy or thin in places you will see it in the paint as light and dark spots.

a 2 coat system is alot easier, base & clear it also can be touched up, candy you have to at a minimum paint the whole pannel that neads a touchup, not just a spot and blend.

Man I didnt even know that they made BASF anymore.

Yes a basecoat/clearcoat is the best way to paint. You can get a deeper shine to it and a smoother finish also.

Just a though tho if you put a pearl in it it is hard like a candy to match. At times it is better to repaint the hwole car instead of just one panel and try blending it together to match.
Old 11/30/09, 08:01 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

I've never heard of Diamont.

I was planning on a base/clear setup, and if I wanted pearl just have it added to the clear. Wednesday I plan on going to a shop and looking through their paint chips to decide. I also have to pick out what color black to use on my tail panel and hood.
Old 11/30/09, 08:06 PM
BoogieNights Studios:
Official Fluffer

Thats cool. That is the way I shoot pearls. I love to shoot pearls. So what colors are you thinking bout painting it?
Old 11/30/09, 08:23 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Candy Apple Red and Raven Black w/ little pearl

Only thing is I don't think the black would look that good with pearl. So I might just go with no pearl at all.

Last edited by BA Mustang; 11/30/09 at 08:25 PM.
Old 11/30/09, 08:27 PM
BoogieNights Studios:
Official Fluffer

What color pearl?
Old 11/30/09, 08:29 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Thinking silver. Not sure what other color to go with.
Old 11/30/09, 08:33 PM
BoogieNights Studios:
Official Fluffer

I think if you put a light dusting or red pearl it will make the black kinda blend into the Candy Apple Red.
Old 11/30/09, 08:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

I agree with the candy apple with black stripes with red pearl in them. Nice combo and very smooth transition.
Old 11/30/09, 08:42 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

I'm actually doing a black hood and black taillight panel. I could do stripes though.
Old 11/30/09, 08:47 PM
BoogieNights Studios:
Official Fluffer

Well how bout putting a light coat of pearl on them and put a lil heavier coat of pearl for the stripes?? Just a thought that I thought I would share.
Old 11/30/09, 08:50 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Like ghost stripes? That was one plan I had. Take an put a good layer of pearl where the stripes would go.

I had planned something similar to this minus the flames:

Last edited by BA Mustang; 11/30/09 at 08:54 PM.
Old 11/30/09, 08:54 PM
BoogieNights Studios:
Official Fluffer

Yeah but not too much pearl going against the black. That was one mistake that I made with my Celica. I put too much green pearl on the black and so it looks more like an emerald green than a black with green pearl.

But yeah ghost stripes
Old 11/30/09, 10:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

Sorry. I forgot your other thread where you had mentioned your paint scheme. However, I think ghost flames on that two tone look would be unique AND pretty wild. Especially if done right.

Quick Reply: Paint Recommendations