Rocket City Mustang Club Huntsville, Alabama Chapter of The Mustang Club of America

Learn to drive your Mustang like it was meant to be driven.

Search this Thread

Old 2/5/11, 12:04 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Learn to drive your Mustang like it was meant to be driven.

As most of you know I've been involved with National Auto Sport Association (NASA) road racing for some time. This year, NASA is starting a new MidSouth region that is just about centered in Huntsville. MidSouth region will visit TGPR, Barber, Nashville, Memphis, and New Orleans, as well as others. They will have 10 weekends or so per year where you can put your car on track, and learn to use all those cool mods you made. Once you get good at it, you can start competing either against the clock or against each other. It's the most fun I've ever had with my cars. I strongly encourage everyone to give it a try.

The first event of the year will be at Little Talledega (TGPR). We'll do student instruction (High Performance Driving Experience (HPDE)), hold a clinic for those who wish to be instructors, and hold a clinic for those who wish to get their competition racing license. Below is the link for registration. Let me know if you have any questions at all.

http://www.nasaproracing.com/event/1233

Mark
Old 2/5/11, 01:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very Cool! If any of you guys in this area haven't been out on a road course yet... DO IT!!

I do track days with SCCA, but still, there's nothing like it, and at the novice levels (HPDE 1), you don't have to worry too much about wrinkling your car, either, but it's still a pure adrenaline rush!
Old 2/5/11, 06:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks, Mark! I love it!
Old 2/5/11, 06:51 PM
GT Member

I have a rag top and there is a nice track nearby, but I need a roll bar to get on the track. Anybody on here that has installed a rollbar and any more information would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Bob
Old 2/6/11, 06:21 AM
Cobra Member

Most tracks don't require a rollbar to do the driver instruction program. If you decide you want one, there are several bolt-in kits available, or you can find a custom cage builder in your area to fabricate one.

If you think you might ever want to race your car, make sure you understand the rules regarding the cage before you do anything. I've seen a lot of cages that don't meet the rules and had to be scrapped.
Old 2/6/11, 11:55 AM
GT Member

Thanks! There is a track in Lexington, KY and I am near Louisville, KY. I'll give them a call and see what they say, but from what I see I need protection, rollbar.

Anyway, my first thought is not a rollbar and some defensive driving to start.

Thanks again.
Old 2/8/11, 06:31 AM
Cobra R Member

Gee, Wander. My old stomping grounds.
Old 3/9/11, 07:21 AM
Cobra Member

Registration is open and slots are filling up.

http://www.nasaproracing.com/event/1233

If you're worried about messing up your car, don't. The HPDE program is designed to be very safe. Everyone gets an instructor, everyone gets classroom training, and everyone is forced to drive in a safe manner for all participants. Now that doesn't mean we won't go fast! As you become comfortable on track, your instructor will help you trim seconds off of your laptime while teaching you the safe and smooth way to negotiate the turns. Your street driving will improve dramatically after taking a weekend of instruction on the track. You'll also get to hang out with all the veterans and hear their "no ****, there I was" stories. For $250, it's a great weekend. I hope I see lots of familiar faces there.

If you want to get a sense of the atmosphere, check out the forums at
http://www.nasaforums.com/viewforum.php?f=80

If you have any questions at all, pm me and I'll get you the answer.
Old 3/9/11, 09:55 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wander- What track is there in Lexington? The Bluegrass track (road course, NOT the Speedway!) that was built north of Louisville never opened and is now in Bankruptcy.

I took one of the courses at Mid Ohio, and I've done several track days there since then.
Old 3/11/11, 08:31 AM
V6 Member

WOW, good stuff Mark. Makes me wish I still had a ride to participate in. I somehow don't think my Jeep would take the turns too well. LOL
Old 3/11/11, 07:31 PM
Cobra Member

I've seen everything on track, including minivans.

Bring it!
Old 5/4/11, 02:05 PM
Cobra Member

The next event is May 21-22 at TGPR. Registration is open. I'll be doing classroom instruction again. Hope to see folks there.

http://www.nasaproracing.com/event/1246